• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Grenadine ties

skefferz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
The Paul Stuart ones look great.

I have a current one from Paul Stuart, but a Sam Hober grenadine is superior.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Is there any way to get grenadine ties without spending $80+ ?
It depends on the type of grenadine. This type of grenadine can't be found more cheaply than from Sam Hober for $80:
2yz0tgi.jpg
This type can be found from Paul Winston and J Press for much less:
9pxoo3.jpg
You can find both types of grenadine ties on ebay, used and new, for a lot less.

Matt S

Reaction score
For the record, here is a list of brands that make (or used to make) the larger weave grenadine ties:

Battistoni Roma
Ben Silver
Benson & Clegg 'Lace'
Brioni
Dege & Skinner
Dion
Domenico Spano
Dormeuil
Drakes
Giorgio Armani
Harvie & Hudson
Hilditch & Key
Kent Wang
Lawrence of Warwick UK
Marinella
Mountain & Sackett
New & Lingwood
Paul Stuart
Sam Hober
Thomas Pink 'Astaire'
TM Lewin
Turnbull & Asser

Here are some brands that make (or used to make) the smaller weave grenadine ties:

Brioni
Charles Tyrwhitt
Drakes
Hickey
J. Press
M. Bardelli
Maus & Hoffman
Oxxford
Paul Stuart
Polo/Ralph Lauren Black Label
Udeshi
Valentino
Winston Tailors/Chipp 2

Here is a list of brands that I've seen mentioned as making grenadine ties, though I have not been able to confirm them. They could be either type of grenadine, or someone might have been confused. These brands may just make a textured tie, or some people confuse grenadine ties for knit ties. If anyone has a picture of a grenadine they can post by these manufacturers I would appreciate it:

Altea
Andover Shop
Brooks Brothers
Budd of Piccadilly
Carroll & Co
Charvet
Holland & Sherry
Holliday & Brown
Prada
Rhodes & Brousse
Richel

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no grenadine ties for sale on Ebay. So, at $80, it weeds out the $30k millionaires who buy everything used on Ebay for $6. Anyone with a grenadine tie is the real deal. JPress grenadines are $80 http://jpressonline.com/neckwear_solid.php?page=all I see no Paul Winston website. Sounds like Hober is the way to go.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
There are no grenadine ties for sale on Ebay.
So, at $80, it weeds out the $30k millionaires who buy everything used on Ebay for $6.
Anyone with a grenadine tie is the real deal.

JPress grenadines are $80
http://jpressonline.com/neckwear_solid.php?page=all

I see no Paul Winston website.

Sounds like Hober is the way to go.

There are grenadines on eBay, you just didn't search hard enough. They are rarely listed as "grenadine" because so few people know what they are called. Here is a pink one from T&A:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TURNBULL-ASSER-S...item5883a199e5

J Press ties go on sale for much less than 80. I just checked the Harvie and Hudson website and they have Grenadines for $60.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
For the record, here is a list of brands that make (or used to make) the larger weave grenadine ties:

Battistoni Roma
Ben Silver

Very helpful post, thanks. I had a couple of the larger-weave ties from Ben Silver. I ordered several from Winston/Chipp only to find they were the smaller-weave variety.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Very helpful post, thanks. I had a couple of the larger-weave ties from Ben Silver. I ordered several from Winston/Chipp only to find they were the smaller-weave variety.
Dah328, Any chance of a close-up photo? Matt S, A great list. For reference a classic grenadine weave is called in Italian "Garza Grosse" this is what we use. there is one other classic weave called as I recall "Garza Fina" We do not currently use this second weave as it is quite loose more so than the Garza Grosse. There are weaves that are similar to the classic weaves woven outside of Italy and some tie makers may refer to them as grenadines, and they may be very beautiful silks but they are not what is considered a classic grenadine. In England silk weavers refer to these other weaves as "Mock Grenadines". again thay can be beautiful silks but are not known as classic grenadines. As an example Drakes uses classic grenadines. One last point when comparing grenadines please keep in mind that ties that are custom made by hand one by one such as ours are going to have a different fit/finish and if construction quality is important this should be kept in mind when making price quality comparisons. As ties that are not made one by one have lower construction costs and prices should reflect this.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One dumb question ;

Why all the granadine as finished in a square form not triangle as an usual tie?

Thanks

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
One dumb question ;

Why all the granadine as finished in a square form not triangle as an usual tie?

Thanks

Grenadine ties are always finished in a triangle. Knit ties are square. Grenadine is a woven silk and is constructed just like any other tie of woven silk. Knit ties are knit silk and must be constructed differently. Whilst the two look similar, they are not related.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenadine ties are always finished in a triangle. Knit ties are square. Grenadine is a woven silk and is constructed just like any other tie of woven silk. Knit ties are knit silk and must be constructed differently. Whilst the two look similar, they are not related.
Thanks for the answer. Then I do love grenadines and hate knit ties that look dumb to me. I´m going to contact Mr. Hober.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Matt S,

If I may - one small addition to your post - ready made grenadines are typically made with triangle posts.

Square end grenadines while not popular are possible with a custom made/bespoke tie.

The tip corners would be finished the way we do our pocket squares - picture frame style.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the type of grenadine.

This type of grenadine can't be found more cheaply than from Sam Hober for $80:
2yz0tgi.jpg

This type can be found from Paul Winston and J Press for much less:
9pxoo3.jpg

You can find both types of grenadine ties on ebay, used and new, for a lot less.

The first burdeoix one is great!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads