• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

sheldon3

Reaction score
What do you think of the small Collar Fred Perry polo http://www.oki-ni.com/Spring-Summer-...invt/fp0072slv Good choice for summer?
smile.gif
If not any recommendations for polos >$75?

BriansAWildDowner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm not trying to be mean, but I think those shoes are hideous. If you need a leather shoe that can be worn with shorts and jeans, I'd go with a boat shoe since you're in the South. They don't get a ton of love around here, but they would fit in pretty well where you live and are versatile. Sperry's are cheap, but get Quoddy if you can afford it. LLBean also has some good boat-type shoes in their Signature Line, check out the LLBean Signature thread.

For shorts, try Jcrew if you're on a budget (they can be slim). Avoid denim shorts (jorts).

Also, this is my first post, looking forward to many more
laugh.gif

-Kurtz

Well my taste in shoes tend to lean towards the so-hideous-that-they're-cool. That's why I also really want a pair of bean boots.

I don't think boat shoes would work for me right now. I definitely would like a pair, but when i say versatile i mean something i can wear year-round, and believe it or not, it actually does freeze here in the winter, and i need something that I can wear with socks.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BriansAWildDowner
Well my taste in shoes tend to lean towards the so-hideous-that-they're-cool. That's why I also really want a pair of bean boots.

I don't think boat shoes would work for me right now. I definitely would like a pair, but when i say versatile i mean something i can wear year-round, and believe it or not, it actually does freeze here in the winter, and i need something that I can wear with socks.

I actually kind of like those type boots, you're right about the so-hideous-they're-cool, and they're probably only good on young people/students.

For something versatile that you can actually wear year-round, try something like a classic white sneaker maybe? Jack Purcells are my favorites on a budget.

For something similar to what you posted (brown leather), nothing comes to mind that could be worn with shorts and in the winter. Maybe something like this? Nothing else I can think of right now, though I'm sure someone can post a better suggestion...

-K

wgbennett83

Reaction score
I'm looking for a slim fitting white dress shirt. My neck is a size 17 but my midsection is rather slim, so it's often hard to find good fits. I have been taking shirts to a tailor but with this one I'm trying to find a nice fit off the rack. I'm considering Epaulet's pinpoint oxford. I'll need an XL. Does anyone know how slim this fits in the midsection? Also, is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range? I'd like to keep it $150 or under

Kurtz

Reaction score
^^ I have a feeling it's going to be tough to find a dress shirt with that large of a neck that's still slim fitting. If you're looking for an actual dress shirt, try the stickied slim fit dress shirt thread over in the MC forum. I tend to get my dress shirts MTM because I've never found and OTR that's slim enough, try ModernTailor, MyTailor, or even Jantzen if you're willing to go the online route. I realize you asked for OTR, but I can't think of any brand that will have a 17 inch neck and actually be slim.

If you're looking for a more casual (streetwear) white shirt, maybe try Temple of Jawnz MTM program (or maybe their RTW, they provide measurements). I'm currently saving up for my first one, and I've heard great things.

Otherwise, I think you're going to have to keep going to your tailor. Hope this helps,

K

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wgbennett83
I'm looking for a slim fitting white dress shirt. My neck is a size 17 but my midsection is rather slim, so it's often hard to find good fits. I have been taking shirts to a tailor but with this one I'm trying to find a nice fit off the rack. I'm considering Epaulet's pinpoint oxford. I'll need an XL. Does anyone know how slim this fits in the midsection? Also, is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range? I'd like to keep it $150 or under
for $125 you can get ToJ made to measure dress shirts. If you can measure you will get a great fit. Would need to know your other measurements to determine if Epaulet would fit, but you can compare a slim fitting shirt you have with the measurements on their website. edit: ha, got beat to it. surprisingly similar advice

wgbennett83

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of looking for something that can be both dressed up or down. My true waist is around 33". Because of where I live, a kind of small town in KY, in person mtm isn't an option. However, I think I will try the online route. I want to go ahead and get something otr now though since online mtm will take about month.

I'll take a look at the toj shirt. If Epaulet didn't only accept returns for store credit, I would have went ahead and ordered their shirt.

blynch

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of looking for something that can be both dressed up or down. My true waist is around 33". Because of where I live, a kind of small town in KY, in person mtm isn't an option. However, I think I will try the online route. I want to go ahead and get something otr now though since online mtm will take about month.

I'll take a look at the toj shirt. If Epaulet didn't only accept returns for store credit, I would have went ahead and ordered their shirt.

Epaulet does full refunds for styleforum members. So you'd have no problem with a return, I've done it before, they are great to deal with.

wgbennett83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
Epaulet does full refunds for styleforum members. So you'd have no problem with a return, I've done it before, they are great to deal with.
I'll go ahead and place the order then. Thank you!

flyguy7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of looking for something that can be both dressed up or down. My true waist is around 33".

You have a 17" neck and 33" true waist? I've never heard of anything like that, but I think OTR is out of the question. I think brooks brothers stays fairly slim when you go up in neck sizes, I have no experience with ToJ but that sounds like your best bet.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent pair of black pants. I already have black dress pants, so I'm looking for a sort of chino, rugged daily wear type of pants. I prefer a narrow fit, and if I could find something with the same fit as the current Banana Republic straight/vintage straight fit I would be really happy.

TotesMcGotes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I'm looking for a decent pair of black pants. I already have black dress pants, so I'm looking for a sort of chino, rugged daily wear type of pants. I prefer a narrow fit, and if I could find something with the same fit as the current Banana Republic straight/vintage straight fit I would be really happy.
You mean jeans...? Try these

Kurtz

Reaction score
Also, don't tell the MC side that you have black dress pants...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads