• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, it sort of bothers me that most of them, while nice bottles, are pretty much all expensive. It's like it's more about buying the 'pricey' stuff then the 'good' stuff, precious few mainstream frags there.

today Encre Noire. I'm liking this more, but I still think Sycomore is much nicer

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
yeah, it sort of bothers me that most of them, while nice bottles, are pretty much all expensive. It's like it's more about buying the 'pricey' stuff then the 'good' stuff, precious few mainstream frags there.

today Encre Noire. I'm liking this more, but I still think Sycomore is much nicer

Actually, few Chanels that I could spot, and nothing Ormonde Jayne, but a ton of Amouage. Funny, that.

Today...Mugler Cologne. each time I wear it I think I ought to get a full bottle....but SRSLY, I have a 15 ml travel bottle and there's still quite a bit left compared to when I first got it over a year ago.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
nice wardrobe. as for me i actually like hunting down cheap discontinued bottles. that's been my kick the past month. today i'm wearing diorella the one in the houndstooth splash. it is similar to eau sauvage.

boo

Reaction score
Sampled Histoires de Parfums 1828 today. I get a bright citrus, maybe with a hint of green underlying it. Makes me think of a more natural smelling Platinum Egoiste. Felt it become a skin scent, but I think that's going to be the nature of such scents. It seems to sweeten every so slightly on the drydown, but I only noticed with my nose up close. I might try again with more sprays some time. Still, I doubt I'd get thrilled enough for a full bottle. Anyone in NYC looking to sample the Histoires de Parfums line should stop by Takashimaya. They got a bowl full that they're just giving away.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is Encre Noire for year-round wear?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
How is Encre Noire for year-round wear?

I think it's fine. Personally I tend to prefer warmer sweeter stuff in winter like orientals and ambers and such, but sometimes on a cold winter morning I don't mind something a little crisper. I don't particularly like EN, at least I didn't at first. i've got a decant I'm working through, still not sure if I'd ever get a FB though. It holds up well in the summer heat as well as winter.

looking for a rec here... my bro like Tom Ford Italian Cypress now. So I figured, ok, PINE+SMOKE and handed him Polo Green (modern reserve) which he liked. i seem to recall there being a "go to" pine frag, anyone have ideas? I think a bit of smoke/incense in there would also be good.
TIA

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
how many bottles of your signature frag do you keep? i see that dude had a lot of xeryus. although maybe he has more multiples of others.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...) looking for a rec here... my bro like Tom Ford Italian Cypress now. So I figured, ok, PINE+SMOKE and handed him Polo Green (modern reserve) which he liked. i seem to recall there being a "go to" pine frag, anyone have ideas? I think a bit of smoke/incense in there would also be good.
TIA

hmmm. My first blush thought was Yatagan. It might be a bit more astringent than he'd like, but it dries down to a smoky pine. Actually, it dries down to smell like my fireplace.

Originally Posted by kaiserkarl
how many bottles of your signature frag do you keep? i see that dude had a lot of xeryus. although maybe he has more multiples of others.

Well, I have backup bottles and then I have Backup Herds. My two main scents have backups totalling 1.5 L, although I have to say that a large part of that is due to reformulations. I think that the rest of the backups come from finding a deal.

boo

Reaction score
PDN New York today

I think it's fine. Personally I tend to prefer warmer sweeter stuff in winter like orientals and ambers and such, but sometimes on a cold winter morning I don't mind something a little crisper. I don't particularly like EN, at least I didn't at first. i've got a decant I'm working through, still not sure if I'd ever get a FB though. It holds up well in the summer heat as well as winter.

looking for a rec here... my bro like Tom Ford Italian Cypress now. So I figured, ok, PINE+SMOKE and handed him Polo Green (modern reserve) which he liked. i seem to recall there being a "go to" pine frag, anyone have ideas? I think a bit of smoke/incense in there would also be good.
TIA

I remember Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet being recommended, but I couldn't say myself since my nose was pretty much fatigued at the time I was trying it. I want to say Bond Central Park, but it's more of a bright synthetic citrus pine and might not be what he's looking for. Bond Brooklyn isn't pine, but I think gives a similar vibe as Italian Cypress and Modern Reserve.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
Well, I have backup bottles and then I have Backup Herds. My two main scents have backups totalling 1.5 L, although I have to say that a large part of that is due to reformulations. I think that the rest of the backups come from finding a deal.
that's a good number. yeah i guess over the years i can find good deals and collect gift sets.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ actually, one of those bottles is .5L, and I wouldn't have considered it but I'd never before seen an actual bottle, that size, of that scent - and I suspected I'd never again see one like it. I do have a few XL bottles (240ml as well). Makes the 50 ml bottes seem...tiny.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Wearing smoke and beads today. I had never used it or heard about it but somehow it feels familiar. Maybe it is the patchouli which is similar to incense smells in India.
It was delivered over the weekend along with the other 2 EDTs I had ordered. I also tried bay rum with a twist - since it doesn't stay for long, I am using at as an after shave.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks for the Rec's y'all

Today, back from the 80's, wearing Drakkar Noir!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Ford Amber Absolute for a cold, overcast day.

Today, back from the 80's, wearing Drakkar Noir!

Did you get a compliment?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics