• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

mystillwater

Reaction score
Last night, Bluecoat Gin. it's good for a gin, but i'm not a stiff martini man. I need to find some recipes for gin drinks that i actualy like.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Excellent choice, in fact the only choice of the three new finishes. The Lasanta (sherry) tastes sulfured and the Quinta Ruban (port) tastes like if was finished in very cheap pipes. The 18 is also nothing to write home about, surprisingly bland despite it's age. The Astar is very good though.
Interesting, and thanks -- I have considered, but purchased neither, of those. Now I won't.
Originally Posted by ama
Smells remarkably of Sauternes. On the palate it has some oak and spice initially and then tons of sweetness from the Sauternes. Finish is very long.
Yep -- heavy Sauternes on the nose; apple, pineapple, honey, and vanilla, then the spiceiness of Speyside combined with that particular botrytisness on the tongue, and quite sweet. It is my definitive summer scotch. ~ H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
Last night, Bluecoat Gin. it's good for a gin, but i'm not a stiff martini man. I need to find some recipes for gin drinks that i actualy like.
Google these. Gin is a wonderful, wonderful spirit. Savoy Corpse Reviver #2 (you can make it without the absinthe, to cut down on your initial investment) The Last Word The Aviation (again, you can do it without the Creme de Violette) ummm.... my mind is failing here. I'll get back to you. But try the Corpse Reviver! ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You sure it isn't a Glenmorangie?

B16810.jpg

If so, I have a bottle and it is very good.

I think you're right on the maker; thanks for correcting that.

I have that Nectar Hunts. Fantastic and also makes a great gift since it's so drinkable. I'll have to pick up the PX bottling soon.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Smells remarkably of Sauternes. On the palate it has some oak and spice initially and then tons of sweetness from the Sauternes. Finish is very long.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yep -- heavy Sauternes on the nose; apple, pineapple, honey, and vanilla, then the spiceiness of Speyside combined with that particular botrytisness on the tongue, and quite sweet. It is my definitive summer scotch.

~ H

Delicious. Seems like I'll have to pick up a bottle

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appleton VX on the rocks. I got it as a gift - have to at least enjoy it from mate who's Jamaican.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Manhattan with:

2 oz CC Sherry Cask Aged
1 oz Vya sweet
.25 oz Luxardo
several drops of VTR bitter

Shake
Pour

Enjoy

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Excellent choice, in fact the only choice of the three new finishes. The Lasanta (sherry) tastes sulfured and the Quinta Ruban (port) tastes like if was finished in very cheap pipes. The 18 is also nothing to write home about, surprisingly bland despite it's age. The Astar is very good though.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Interesting, and thanks -- I have considered, but purchased neither, of those. Now I won't.

I'd venture that the two of you know your spirits better than I do, but I have the Lasanta and it's not a bad dram. I too have heard that the Nectar D'Or is the way to go with the wine-casked Glenmorangies, but hey. Maybe I just have a taste for sulfur and don't know it. More likely I just have to keep drinking more and better scotch.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
I'd venture that the two of you know your spirits better than I do, but I have the Lasanta and it's not a bad dram. I too have heard that the Nectar D'Or is the way to go with the wine-casked Glenmorangies, but hey. Maybe I just have a taste for sulfur and don't know it. More likely I just have to keep drinking more and better scotch.

It's fine, but having tasted it, I was not impressed. There are many better examples of a sherry finish out there in the price range. (Glenfarclas 12 yo, Aberlour A'bunadh, 12 and 16 yo, Glengoyne 17 yo, Glendronach 12 yo and the new Tomatin 15 and 18 yo) The quality of the casks that Glenmorangie used for it seems questionable. There is very little essence of the wine and I got a lot of sulfur notes, especially on the nose and on the finish.

Try the Astar or Nectar D'Or next if you like the general Glenmo profile, I think you'll be more impressed.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
If you can find the old bottling of the Glenmorangie port-wood finish (totally different packaging, before the revamp) it's the best of the finishes by some margin, for my money

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads