• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilt is truly beyond redemption now.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Who? Sorry, I'm distracted by the Kiki de Montparnasse sale.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
hehe. .. it's not only lauren by rl.

also , theyve been selling these no-name brands i NEVER heard of for the past few months alreayd. only once in a blue moon would i see something like mcqueen ...or... lanvin..or here or there in the schedule ...you'll have to really hunt for them now...it is not like last year where every sale every day featured a premium brand name or exclusive brand name.

they'll be selling target merona and brooks 346 one day so dont worry.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of sunglasses on gilt in march 09. at the time they "sold out" and the sale ended. they have had the same sunglasses come up at least 4 times since then, most recently 2 weeks ago.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's become a daily ritual to check out Gilt's daily sale and quickly log off.

Haven't bought anything from them in almost a year.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have Lauren in my cart right now.

At 90% off its suggested Gilt retail price, the price is free.

It's a ventless jacket, so I do have a question:

Can I add vents to it?

- B

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Can I add vents to it?

- B

Yes, you can add vents

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I bought a pair of sunglasses on gilt in march 09. at the time they "sold out" and the sale ended. they have had the same sunglasses come up at least 4 times since then, most recently 2 weeks ago.

I've noticed the same thing.

I think part of Gilt's marketing strategy is to artificially limit the time allowed to purchase, in order to generate a feeding frenzy.

When stuff don't sell, they will then have to repeat the process some times later, otherwise they would be full of unsold merchandise.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I add vents to it?

- B

God damn you, beat me to the purchase
facepalm.gif

According to a member by the name of something like Mantion, he said you can do that.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I've noticed the same thing.

I think part of Gilt's marketing strategy is to artificially limit the time allowed to purchase, in order to generate a feeding frenzy.

When stuff don't sell, they will then have to repeat the process some times later, otherwise they would be full of unsold merchandise.

I'm also convinced this is happening. I've seen items "sell out" or be placed "in other users' shopping carts" way too quickly to be real. Usually it's not the big-ticket items, either, but some of the lower margin stuff that is less likely to sell on its own without a boost of some sort. Gilt creates the illusion of scarcity by artificially lowering stock and pretending that it's being bought out at light speed.

Alternatively, maybe there really are just shitloads of people clicking Refresh every 2 nanoseconds and sniping all the goods at the sound of the buzzer. It wouldn't surprise me.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I add vents to it?

- B

If you agree to wear it without vents I will gift it to you.

Please buy the jacket, send me your PP and I shall send free to you

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'm also convinced this is happening. I've seen items "sell out" or be placed "in other users' shopping carts" way too quickly to be real. Usually it's not the big-ticket items, either, but some of the lower margin stuff that is less likely to sell on its own without a boost of some sort. Gilt creates the illusion of scarcity by artificially lowering stock and pretending that it's being bought out at light speed.

Alternatively, maybe there really are just shitloads of people clicking Refresh every 2 nanoseconds and sniping all the goods at the sound of the buzzer. It wouldn't surprise me.

So what is a winning Gilt strategy? T1 line? Atomic clock? Or just wait till the 'notifications' tab pops up with the sale link?

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MemorialSartorial
So what is a winning Gilt strategy? T1 line? Atomic clock? Or just wait till the 'notifications' tab pops up with the sale link?

timemachine.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads