• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a watch for daily wear

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to an automatic vs quartz? Aside from it keeping worse time?

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
lol. what a *************.

you going to recommend a Swatch next?

get a Tag Heuer F1. they are like 500 exactly.

hey man don't hate, it's probably from j.crew, so it's alright.

tiijei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lynx_the_one
Is there an advantage to an automatic vs quartz? Aside from it keeping worse time?

The movement? Automatics have a more fluid like movement, some have 5 (lower end seiko's have 5), eta usually has 8 bps.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score

Search the internet and you will find the answer, my son. I might suggest Google, but practically any search engine will suffice.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hiei
all the watches previously recommended are inspired by the german b-uhr watch. and with that $500 budget you can opt for Laco which has history and part of those 5 german watch co. commissioned to manufacture the pilot watch (IWC, wempe, stowa, A.lange & sohne and laco) check the flieger classic Type-A
Laco-Flieger_Classic_2010.jpg

I have wanted a Flieger for ages, was going to go with Laco or Stowa. Probably would keep it on a steel grey nylon NATO most of the time, chunky leather isn't for me. Will do the burberry wrap strap as well, I love it. (Bring the hate)

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based upon the question, probably not for you.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol @ prevailing SF ethos of 'wannabe corporate bigtimer'. my friend runs one of the biggest hedge funds in Europe, and often wears a watch very similar to this. it's a really nice design, much better than the F1 IMO

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tag watches are terrible.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Ha ha, I just might at that! LMAO at the pretentious wannabe watch ballers here. More $$ isn't always better.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele

Hard to generalize that much. I have an Aquaracer limited edition that I like a lot. Some Tags utilize Zenith movements.

To each his own, I guess.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't even know about the Stowa Antea, thinking about getting one as a cheap placeholder watch/daily non-sports watch to wear with less casual clothes, until I fall in love with a permanent piece.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Automatic is SF approved.

How exactly? Look bad (the whole line)? Keep bad time?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Look bad and generic.

Everyone who wants a 'luxury' watch buys one.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
^ Look bad and generic.

Everyone who wants a 'luxury' watch buys one.

Whatever you think, Omega was my first watch. Just bought a Tag lately. Plus, the group think is always interesting. Everyone wears raw denim to be different from everyone else, thereby conforming.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Seiko's are good or you can pick up a nice, vintage Seiko diver for about the same money. Some of the rarer models cost more but there's a good selection for <500.
Also, I've seen some vintage Seiko chronos that are large-ish and have Kanji/English day wheels with some unusual colors in yr px range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads