• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Speaking of waiting, if I feel I'm being held hostage in the restaurant because the server will not bring the check and is no where to be found, then what may have been a 20+ percent tip starts to get reduced very quickly. I've had instances where servers left to go on breaks or even left for the day, but didn't leave anyone responsible for my table.

That's very bad, I wonder how management handled these situations.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
That's very bad, I wonder how management handled these situations.
One of the restaurants was Chanterelle in NYC, which has since closed. We heard the server going out the door telling others good night, and then we saw her get into the cab. All the while we sat with no one bothering to stop by the table or bring the check until we complained.

The worse experience I had was when a server tells my table in the midst of our meal that we needed to move to another table because the table was needed for another party. We refused to move only to have the manager come out to insist that we move. We were angry because we had a reservation and was in the middle of the meal. The attitudes of both the server and manager were awful; they weren't apologetic at all, even though the restaurant had seated us. We left the restaurant, and I later notified the corporate office. Corporate followed up with at least two phone calls, a letter, and coupons for free meals. They also informed me that the manager was fired because of this as well as other issues.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my waiter bounced without dropping the check, I'd assume that meant I was eating for free.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
If my waiter bounced without dropping the check, I'd assume that meant I was eating for free.
Better yet, I'd assume the wait person had picked up my tab and have the place's best port or other dessert wine.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Better yet, I'd assume the wait person had picked up my tab and have the place's best port or other dessert wine.
That's going to work great when they stop you at the door and call the police.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much people can get away with when they're doing something wrong in public. It's the, "I'm sure someone else is calling 911" mentality.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
You would be surprised how much people can get away with when their doing something wrong in public. It's the, "I'm sure someone else is calling 911" mentality.

Just ask Kitty Genovese. (side note: I was told once, before moving to the big city, that if I ever needed help I should shout "fire" instead of "police" or "help" - much more likely that people will respond that way).

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read about Kitty Genovese after the CE thread about the person dying on the sidewalk. How sad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
That's going to work great when they stop you at the door and call the police.

Yeah, that's highly likely to happen to me. Also highly likely I was just snarking on the Netwebs. Either way, your commentary was certainly a good addition to the threak.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
I tip 25% at Waffle House cuz i love Waffle House.
inlove.gif

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
I find that this to be true amongst the rapper wannabe segment of the black community. When I waited tables I didn't expect much in the way of tips from this group. Regular, working families, however, were always big tippers. So much so that they are overly generous in order to dispell the myth that all black people are cheap.

Also to be fair, I think this comes simply from a lack of education about tipping etiquette. I personally also battle between what the standard is 15-20%. if they aren't tipping at all, **** em

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
just to have a guy open a bottle of wine and bring you some food.

You have answered your own question, Sir.

imschatz

Reaction score
If I'm spending $100+ for dinner .. I expect:

1) Solid knowledge of the wine/drinks menu, with good recommendations.
2) Knowledge of the specials, both food and drinks. Nothing pisses me off more then not being told about drink specials.
3) My water glass to never be empty.
4) Appetizers to arrive quickly, and entre's to arrive shortly after appetizers are done.
5) Not being asked 100 times how everything is. Once when the appetizers are done, and once a few minutes after the entre's arrive.
6) Cloth napkins.

If you get all that .. 15-20% tip easily. With near perfect service, I'll also go out of my way to tip in cash so the waiter/waitress can pocket it.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
If I'm spending $100+ for dinner .. I expect: 1) Solid knowledge of the wine/drinks menu, with good recommendations. 2) Knowledge of the specials, both food and drinks. Nothing pisses me off more then not being told about drink specials. 3) My water glass to never be empty. 4) Appetizers to arrive quickly, and entre's to arrive shortly after appetizers are done. 5) Not being asked 100 times how everything is. Once when the appetizers are done, and once a few minutes after the entre's arrive. 6) Cloth napkins. If you get all that .. 15-20% tip easily. With near perfect service, I'll also go out of my way to tip in cash so the waiter/waitress can pocket it.
Go *************. If eating out is really this much of an ordeal for you, learn to cook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics