• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of my above list, M&R Tailors are not offshore MTM to my knowledge. Most of the rest, as far as I can tell, are (including Suit Shop, which AriGold mentioned above. They send your measurement details to a factory in Europe, where your suit is made).

I'm sure your OTR knowledge is as good as mine in regards to Sydney options.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea suitshop and yensen appear to be off-shore MTM but i guess u pay more to have someone experienced to measure you up.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Yensen website appears to be down at the moment.

I know Pernac, Bentex and Germanicos are offshore MTM as well. Not sure of some of the others.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on the cut of oxford suits and yea, they just don't look balanced and as nice as the herringbone suits fit on me. I find that made in china and half-canvassed don't really mean much to me nowadays because I'm happy with the product.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of offshore MTM and don't have the budget for bespoke though. OTR options?
It really depends on your personal preferences and body shape. Clearly, you are aware of Herringbone because you have a pair of their C&Js! I am a big fan of Herringbone's Osaka block as it fits me perfectly, bar the need to adjust the sleeve and trouser length, so I've got quite a few of their suits and some of their odd jackets as well. RL Polo also tends to fit me well, so I've got several of those in the wardrobe, too. I like the fact that some of their suits come with side adjusters (and without belt loops) as standard and that they all have braces buttons already sewn in to the waistband. I've discovered that Caruso (sold in Australia via Harrolds) also fits me well and I like the silhouette so I might pick up some more in the future - I only have one at present, a navy flannel chalkstripe DB that is fantastic for cooler weather. Zegna and Canali are both good quality, obviously, but they cost a ridiculously large amount of money in Australia. They have some slimmer fits with lighter padding in the shoulders but I could buy a couple of Herringbone suits for the price of one Canali or Zegna jacket and I'm just not willing to pay that much more for an Italian name. Personally, I don't like the look of many other brands, apart from the ones that I've mentioned above. A lot of the established names such as Anthony Squires and much of the stuff that DJs carries just doesn't appeal to me - too boxy, sleeves too large, trousers too baggy and so on. Other Australian brands just try too hard to be fashion forward and charge too much for poor quality goods to boot. I have a few things from Brooks Brothers that I've bought either over the internet during a BB sale, or whilst in Japan. I really do with that BB would open a store in Australia (with reasonable pricing) as I'd be there every weekend. What are your favourite sources for suits and jackets in Australia?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you say said, journeyman.

RLBL anthony is an amazing suit, great slim cut. Herringbone is great. And I've bought a margiela suit before on deep discount $600.

Other than I haven't really come across anything else really appealing. (Oh but yeah some of zegna and burberry actually fits me well - but only willing to buy on discounts)

I haven't had the chance to try brooks brothers but it looks very appealing

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I own a number of Herringbone suits and the fit is great for OTR on my frame (44R, 8 inch drop) with standard alterations of course. Nice fabrics, decent construction. Shame Yenson have failed on the former of those (and what's with their website?)

The main reason I ask for other options is because I'm moving to Perth soon and there is no Herringbone outlet there (although I can get it delivered).

I have been considering eHaberdasher for a Caruso suit for ~$700 which is crazy cheap. Maybe an option for you Journeyman?

I'm always a bit wary of offshore MTM, especially after seeing some of the results on this forum. Also OTR tends to work for me as I have good posture and am not overtly in or out of shape
blush.gif

Zegna / canali are too big time for me... if I had that sort of money to throw around I'd go the bespoke route.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
I have been considering eHaberdasher for a Caruso suit for ~$700 which is crazy cheap. Maybe an option for you Journeyman?

JNH, thanks for that.
I'll have to look into it. I've had good experiences with Ben at eHaberdasher before, so I'll have to see if they have anything that I want in stock.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Big thanks for the heads up on the new stock at HBone Clearance store- Thank you Ari!

Just grabbed two suits, $500 each what a steal. I am lucky to get 40R fitting very well.

Can anyone reccomend a city/north shore based tailor who can do the sleeves from the shoulder? And a rough price. I have seen it discussed, but anyone done some recently?

I did ask the SA's and they thought LookSmart at Northbridge was good. I have used a guy called Leon who is on Pitt Street in the city for basic alterations. He seems to know what he is doing, he has taken 1 to 2 cm's off the bottom of jacket sleeves for me in the past, and always moves the buttons so the original look is maintained. Unsure how he will go with working buttons!

Lastly one of the suits is black, no more wearing Navy suits to weddings and the like! However to make the suit more useful should I wear it to work say once every two weeks? Do you guys ever wear black suits to work? It is not a shiny black, it is the herringbone pattern suit, called Herdwick Hbone S on tha tag.

FYI the second suit is the Osaka Churro Chk in brown, great looking piece! Thanks again.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Ethan uses Looksmart for all alterations from the Circular Quay store. That's enough props for me.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Syd guy, glad you found something you liked - great value and pieces that will ensure you look sharp. I was contemplating on getting a black suit, but i bought one for my dad instead. I guess i could always share his lol.

I took the suit I bought to looksmart at the dymmocks building as that was where I had previous work done. They do an okay job, and i guess its not cheap. But hey, better pay a decent amount to get it right than cheapen out and get a dodgy job.

I think the thing about tailors is very hit and miss because its not like a certified profession or anything - you can only really go by word of mouth.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Cheers for the info -Looksmart Dymocks building it is.

The SA did mention the Northbridge Looksmart was excellent, as I live on the North side. However he said never to use the Chatswood Looksmart but did not elaborate on why.

Have a great long weekend!

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AriGold
I tried on the cut of oxford suits and yea, they just don't look balanced and as nice as the herringbone suits fit on me. I find that made in china and half-canvassed don't really mean much to me nowadays because I'm happy with the product.

Agree on both and my two cents only.

Oxford luxury is half canvassed and for the price (even on sale), they are still not value for money. Herringbone is better.

Fusing technology is getting better nowadays (yes, they do not drape as nice as their canvassed brother) and will serve you for a good 2-3 years if you treat them properly. Good as horse beating suit. If you can find good brands with good fusible technique and fits you well at rock bottom price, then do not think twice to get it.

Though a good fitted half canvassed (and if you can find one without fusing) is of course a better option. A good fitted suit in a full floating canvas interfacing (and without fusing) construction is always the best option.

Diavolo

Reaction score
It baffles me why you guys consider bricks and mortar stores which have nothing of quality to offer. Herringbone is okay and, if you like it fine, but at $1200 or something retail compared to Caruso at ehaberdasher for $600 odd, there should be an easy choice. Caruso is 10 times the suit a Herringbone is. You may have to wait and be patient for stock but you can email Mike and ask about what's coming in. Even at sale price Herringbone at $500 is not a good deal compared with the Carusos. Off-shore made to measure will inevitably lead to grief.
You can buy a Kiton bone linen jacket at ehaber for under $1000 for goodness sake, something that Harrolds would charge $4500 for.
Once you know what fits you check the buying and selling forum as well. Men's Corner on Ebay has brilliant Stile Latino suits (made by an off-shoot of Attolini) for $899. They are better than Corneliani etc by far.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads