• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 NFL Draft

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
My experience is that with very rare exceptions (man-child Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Jesus in cleats Jerry Rice, etc.) qb's make the wr and not the other way around. Look at Chicago where Cutler (note, I am not a cutler fan) put up 3,600 yards with the equivalent of a practice squad team.

Or look at New Orleans, Atlanta, or better Baltimore all who had middle of the pack receiver corps until getting a superior quarterback.

I think that once you reach a certain minimum level of physical ability, the item which most makes a passing attack is qb and wide receiver trust.

Cutler threw like 200 ints though. Plus his numbers went down, not up, with the Bears. While Orton's numbers went up from last year. Brandon Marshall was still Brandon Marshall, 100+ catches with Orton, who's average at best.

It goes both ways. We had Jeff Garcia put up better regular season stats than Joe Montana when TO was here in his prime. Once TO left, Garcia struggled and he's been a backup/fringe starter ever since.

Colston and White are pretty good WRs. And Baltimore's passing game is average and Flacco certainly hasn't made any of their WRs look good. Their WRs are absolutely horrible. They don't have a single TE or WR, including Todd Heap, that'd start on any other team in the league.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
FWIW, I thought the Raiders made a pretty solid pick this year.

So did I. THe local press is still panning them for not going OT. The meme is "Ruining the team for the future won't matter when Al Davis is dead, and he died four years ago."

I think the Niners had a great draft. Both guys are huge, athletic, and fill our biggest need. The "off field issues" of Davis would seem to be pretty non existent. A few people close to him have said that he is a bit of a loner and just needs good people around him. Also he is only 20 and a tad immature for his age. Sounds perfect for coach Sing. He has been able to get players to respond to his approach and has their respect. HE also is able to relate well and I think he can get the best out of this guy. Davis met with him a few times and really wanted to play for him.

Frank Gore running behind a ****** line still put up numbers last year, I can't wait to see him behind these two.
Now we need to pick Claussen or Taylor MAys in the 2nd.

As per Denver, their draft just looks worse and worse. They end up with a QB and WR. But they could have had Dez at WR and Clussen at QB and not tradded any picks, or if they had such a TeaBag bonner, Dez, maybe a DE late in the first, and picked up Tea Bag in the 2nd and still have all their other picks. Worst draft by far.

Minn is very happy right now.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't love the Golden Tate pick, but don't hate it either. Thought maybe we'd go with Griffin.

People here are already comparing Tate to Percy Harvin and Steve Smith. Is that realistic at all? Only seen a few highlight reels.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't love the Golden Tate pick, but don't hate it either. Thought maybe we'd go with Griffin.

People here are already comparing Tate to Percy Harvin and Steve Smith. Is that realistic at all? Only seen a few highlight reels.

He's no Dez Bryant. =D

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
He's no Dez Bryant. =D

I didn't ask if he was Randy Moss, I asked if he was Steve Smith.
smile.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^

Ted Ginn, Jr.

devil.gif

I actually like Golden Tate. I don't know why, it's not like I saw him play much, but I like him.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Pete should have gone with his former player, Damien Williams.

Golden Tate is a good player, though not as fast as Percy and not as strong as Steve Smith (I'm assuming you're referring to the Carolina Panther).

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the 9ers picking up Mays. Huge, fast, and hits like a brick **** house. What's not to like?
Do think they should have gone with Colt in the third, but trading down did land them three extra picks which is always nice.

So far I'm very happy with their draft.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
What's not to like?
Had pretty noticeable coverage deficiencies in college, only going to be magnified in the NFL unless he puts in serious work. At this point, he's a safety who doesn't cover anyone, but loves to punish people. Not looking forward to him taking out his feelings of betrayal on us twice a year. Especially if he ever figures out how to defend a slot receiver.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had pretty noticeable coverage deficiencies in college, only going to be magnified in the NFL unless he puts in serious work. At this point, he's a safety who doesn't cover anyone, but loves to punish people. Not looking forward to him taking out his feelings of betrayal on us twice a year. Especially if he ever figures out how to defend a slot receiver.

Yeah, I have a feeling those problems are overrated. He addressed it on local radio and basically said he was coached to hit, not to cover and that he'll adapt his game to whatever his coaches want. He was asked to make more plays on the ball in the senior bowl and had a Int.

I like his size, speed, and desire to be coached. One thing a lot of players have said about Sing. is that they like him, his philosophy, and really want to be coached by him.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, I dunno, sounds like Roy Williams II to me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not saying I don't like him. In fact, I think he's going to be a pretty damn good football player. I'm just saying that he was drafted in the correct spot, and he's not nearly as "ready" as he should be, physical freak though he may be.... Even though he felt like he should have been a first rounder, I (and evidently all the GM's, coaches, and scouts of the NFL) don't think he was. He would have gone much higher I think, had he come out last year. As little sense as that makes from a readiness standpoint. USC had a lackluster year.

I think he's going to be a "Vernon Davis"... two years of learning and then he'll start to fulfill his potential.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can live with that.

re "character issues" I can't stand that term. I would be shocked if any of these guys- and this includes the choir boy TT- have not done some stupid **** in college. Out to drinks and the strip club with the boosters at age 19? Somethings wrong if you did not pull a few stunts like that.
At the NFL level their all **** heads, Tom Brady knocked up some chick, Sea Bass was a straight alcoholic out of college, Ray Lewis ******* killed a man, and yet they are all pro bowlers.

I want a guy that plays hard, is coachable, learns from his mistakes off the field, and is not an ego maniac. I don't care if he had a few beers at age 20 or got caught smoking weed in the off season.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Course, I could be totally wrong. I'm no Mel Kiper Jr.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I can live with that.

re "character issues" I can't stand that term. I would be shocked if any of these guys- and this includes the choir boy TT- have not done some stupid **** in college. Out to drinks and the strip club with the boosters at age 19? Somethings wrong if you did not pull a few stunts like that.
At the NFL level their all **** heads, Tom Brady knocked up some chick, Sea Bass was a straight alcoholic out of college, Ray Lewis ******* killed a man, and yet they are all pro bowlers.

I want a guy that plays hard, is coachable, learns from his mistakes off the field, and is not an ego maniac. I don't care if he had a few beers at age 20 or got caught smoking weed in the off season.

Amen, brotha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads