• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sixsails
Have the Roy boots always been on the trubalance? I could've sworn they were on the barrie when I ordered mine.

Originally Posted by Seafinch
I thought the same thing... I already pre-ordered mine too (for june/july shipment). I wonder what last they'll be on.

Yes the Roy boots were originally on the Barrie last, I believe the change to Trubalance is effective with the pre-order that's currently open (i.e. previous pre-orders should still be Barrie...) I emailed Context inquiring about this and they said that Alden recommended the change, so they went with it.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
snuff suede longwing leathersoul thanks tom sorry for the cell phone pic.

IMG00100.jpg

looks very nice. enjoy wearing

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pistolero
Yes the Roy boots were originally on the Barrie last, I believe the change to Trubalance is effective with the pre-order that's currently open (i.e. previous pre-orders should still be Barrie...) I emailed Context inquiring about this and they said that Alden recommended the change, so they went with it.

I ordered them when they were still on the Barrie (pre-order IIII), but I wonder if I would have preferred them on the trubalance.

Seafinch

Reaction score
^ Yeah. That's what I'm wondering. Does anyone know why they would suggest a different last. I'm not that knowledgeable.

rick

Reaction score
quicjk question can you change speedhooks to metal eyelets?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
I was at the Alden SF store today chatting with Robert and Jim and a kid comes in and says "I'm from out of town and I want to get fitted for every last"

Robert and I looked at each other like "Oh mannnn"

The guys at the shop are willing to accomodate requests like this because they are professional and nice and provide top service, but that is asking A LOT. It takes a long time to get fitted for just one shoe when you consider the different widths.

I am an Alden fan and I get the need to know your exact size, but really? I also get the other side because I sell Aldens now.

All I can say is that dude better post his exact findings on this thread so everyone can benefit!

sixsails

Reaction score
The change to Trubalance has to be relevant to more than just the current pre-order as I was told my boots will be on the Trubalance and my expected delivery is in June.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seafinch
^ Yeah. That's what I'm wondering. Does anyone know why they would suggest a different last. I'm not that knowledgeable.

I wonder if it has something to do with the actual amount of Barrie lasts that Alden has to work with. I've been told that they only have a certain number of each last and when they are all being used, orders can get backed up.

This theory is something I've been thinking about lately. Think about all the custom orders that have been pouring in to Alden in the last couple of years compared to say 5 years ago. It's got to be something like triple the amount or even more! Not only are the standard Alden shoes more popular now, the custom make ups from retailers are through the roof. Shoe Mart, LeatherSoul, A of C, Japan, and some others have been doing it for a while but now there's Leffot, Context, Winn Perry, Blackbird, etc... Heck, I just submitted orders for 7 customs myself. That's a lot of demand on the Alden factory!

I don't know what my point is, but my guess is that we are going to be looking at longer lead times at least. We may see some changes in the way that Alden does customs and maybe little things like changing lasts on a run might be part of it.

(I really am just guessing about some of this stuff and could be wrong so don't hold me to it)

sixsails

Reaction score
^^^^ beautiful shoes

I'm happy that they've switched to the Trubalance on the Roy as it seems to be better for those with problematic feet.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaitek
Love the ravello chukkas! Where did you get those? I'm trying to decide on something like that or suede...

The only real answer is both.

deltashell

Reaction score
Thanks, the ravello chukkas are from Alden sf. They had one pair left in my size, 9d, so maybe they have a few others left. I think shoemart may have some now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads