• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you should never cheap out on

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
A computer.
laugh.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never cheap on anything. If its worth buying, its worth buying the best.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
laugh.gif
Seriously though I don't think it's worth it to cheap out on a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes. In my experience you get what you pay for but only up to a certain price point - I think $450 tops is all you need. Anything above that isn't really worth it if we're talking about value. For example I have 3 pairs of Tom Ford sunglasses that go for about $600 to $800 and they're not nearly as nice as my Oliver Peoples or Persols which are half that when considering clarity et al.

All sorts of studies have shown that the $5 "100% UV protection" ones at the gas station are just as effective as the really high price ones at protecting your eyes. You're not paying for protection. You're paying for nice plastics or nicer plastics, and very precisely made lenses that eliminate the tiny bit of optical distortion you get from less fancy sunglasses, and fancy optical treatments that most don't really need. Oh, and a name and the shape of the frame. If those are worth it to you, go ahead, but protection alone does not justify $50 sunglasses. I use $25 polarized ones myself. My eyes are protected, I paid enough to get the polarized lenses and a quality metal frame. And by 'quality', I mean it doesn't bend except when I want it to and works well with my face. Paying the extra $20 for the polarized lenses in worth it, both for fly fishing and for driving. Which brings me to another thing: don't cheap out on flies, or the hooks if you tie your own. I've had the hook part break off of cheap flies before. It gets frustrating when something takes it.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
laugh.gif
Seriously though I don't think it's worth it to cheap out on a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes. In my experience you get what you pay for but only up to a certain price point - I think $450 tops is all you need. Anything above that isn't really worth it if we're talking about value. For example I have 3 pairs of Tom Ford sunglasses that go for about $600 to $800 and they're not nearly as nice as my Oliver Peoples or Persols which are half that when considering clarity et al. Okay then, one of these things is not like the other; one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell me which thing is not like the other, by the time I finish this song.
smile.gif
(something like that)

Come on ... your kidding me, right? You spent $800 on sunglasses and consider that a non-negotiable expense
facepalm.gif
I think he was referring to your list having "weapons" on it, at least thats what I thought. I dunno, when Im killing things I find a $12 baseball bat to be just as effective and satisfying as a $5000 uzi.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
ICBMs

ICBMs are of questionable marginal benefit beyond the first couple in Civilization 4, btw. Always annoys me how a massive arsenal does nothing to deter computer players from throwing nukes around willy nilly. Doesn't put the fear of God into them the way it should.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Yes.

I lol'ed.

Never cheap out on the underpadding for your carpet.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Shoes

+1. This is the first thing that came to mind.

Syl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Don't bother.

without getting "preachy" and derailing the thread, I'll just say I buy organic not only for health, but to support better farming practices. Some may argue there's no proven link etc etc but at the end of the day, I'm comfortable spending a lot more for even minimal returns.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
without getting "preachy" and derailing the thread, I'll just say I buy organic not only for health, but to support better farming practices. Some may argue there's no proven link etc etc but at the end of the day, I'm comfortable spending a lot more for even minimal returns.

In general I agree. What makes it annoying is that the enforcement guidelines for getting and keeping the "organic" label are extremely fast and loose in the US. As a result, there are a LOT of big agra firms cutting corners and exploiting loopholes in order to get their products labeled and sold as organic (not to mention enjoying the healthy margin benefits that come with the organic up-sell).

It's getting very tough these days to sort out the legitimate organic producers from the big cheaters.

XeF4

Reaction score
Paint
pens
food and spices
speakers
mobile phone
hardwood flooring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads