• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 NFL Draft

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
What's your (and Seattle's) take on CPC's job thus far?
CPC = Coach Pete Carroll? Sorry, He hasn't been here long enough for me to be familiar with his nicknames.
smile.gif
If that's what you are asking - the dude scares me. He's a loose canon. He did exactly what I thought he should in the first round of the draft, but in the offseason, he also overpaid for a quarterback who couldn't even win a backup job in San Diego. He's also mining a bunch of has-beens for second-chance-at-a-career stories AND HE'S SIGNING A BUNCH OF THEM. The day before the draft, he or someone using his official twitter account was messing around releasing clues as to who they wanted to draft based on musical selections. WTF is with the gimmicky crap? We aren't 18 year old college students, we want to WIN! Big Walt is retiring. We need another O-lineman tomorrow. Could also use a pass rushing D-End, a corner, and a RB. We'll see if I get my wish.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
CPC = Coach Pete Carroll?

Sorry, He hasn't been here long enough for me to be familiar with his nicknames.
smile.gif

If that's what you are asking - the dude scares me. He's a loose canon. He did exactly what I thought he should in the first round of the draft, but in the offseason, he also overpaid for a quarterback who couldn't even win a backup job in San Diego. He's also mining a bunch of has-beens for second-chance-at-a-career stories AND HE'S SIGNING A BUNCH OF THEM. The day before the draft, he or someone using his official twitter account was messing around releasing clues as to who they wanted to draft based on musical selections. WTF is with the gimmicky crap? We aren't 18 year old college students, we want to WIN!

Big Walt is retiring. We need another O-lineman tomorrow. Could also use a pass rushing D-End, a corner, and a RB. We'll see if I get my wish.

Yeah....sorry, Pete Carroll.

I followed him as a student and now alum of USC. The key, I think, is for the players to buy into his system/vibe, which is easy if you're 18, but not so much if you're a 20-something millionaire. IF he can get them there, then I think you have a bright future.

He's not as much of a loose cannon as you think he is (see shenanigans discussed below). He's methodical in his planning and execution and an absolute X's and O's guru when it comes to a defensive gameplan.

As for the rest of his crap (twitter, facebook, youtube), I agree. There were a lot of Trojan alums/fans that grew weary of his affinity for social networking especially as things seemed to get worse on the field in 09. I wish he'd shut that **** up and get to work....or at least make it APPEAR like he's getting to work.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Bryant to Dallas!!

This is Moss 2.0. A bunch of marsupials pass him by for "character issues" without even thinking about it (well, what do you expect these are NFL execs). Character issues? This mofo "SPOKE" to god-fearing reverent Deion Sanders. Hahaha, what a travesty. Shame on him.

Oh man, Austin & Bryant is going to be sick.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't understand the cowboys pick. Needed another WR like a hole in the head.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I didn't understand the cowboys pick. Needed another WR like a hole in the head.

How do you figure? Roy Williams is useless - has been for the last 2 years. They have one superstar in Austin. Crayton is a #3. Ogletree is still up and coming.

They have a need for another playmaking receiver to take pressure off Austin, and Dez is the guy for the job. However you are right in that if they don't fill OT and FS this offseason via trade or FA, they are in trouble.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's not as much of a loose cannon as you think he is

Please explain to me then... Charlie Whitehurst.

bcate3

Reaction score
I’m liking the prime time format so far, but I can’t stand the cameras showing the player talking to the team exec on the cell phone before his name is officially called. Kills all the anticipation from the Commish's announcement. NFL should either require the cameras to show the reacton shot after the announcement or prevent the team from calling the draftee first.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How do you figure? Roy Williams is useless - has been for the last 2 years. They have one superstar in Austin. Crayton is a #3. Ogletree is still up and coming.

They have a need for another playmaking receiver to take pressure off Austin, and Dez is the guy for the job. However you are right in that if they don't fill OT and FS this offseason via trade or FA, they are in trouble.

My experience is that with very rare exceptions (man-child Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Jesus in cleats Jerry Rice, etc.) qb's make the wr and not the other way around. Look at Chicago where Cutler (note, I am not a cutler fan) put up 3,600 yards with the equivalent of a practice squad team.

Or look at New Orleans, Atlanta, or better Baltimore all who had middle of the pack receiver corps until getting a superior quarterback.

I think that once you reach a certain minimum level of physical ability, the item which most makes a passing attack is qb and wide receiver trust.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Bryant to Dallas!!

This is Moss 2.0. A bunch of marsupials pass him by for "character issues" without even thinking about it (well, what do you expect these are NFL execs). Character issues? This mofo "SPOKE" to god-fearing reverent Deion Sanders. Hahaha, what a travesty. Shame on him.

Oh man, Austin & Bryant is going to be sick.

My experience is that with very rare exceptions (man-child Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Jesus in cleats Jerry Rice, etc.) qb's make the wr and not the other way around. Look at Chicago where Cutler (note, I am not a cutler fan) put up 3,600 yards with the equivalent of a practice squad team.

Or look at New Orleans, Atlanta, or better Baltimore all who had middle of the pack receiver corps until getting a superior quarterback.

I think that once you reach a certain minimum level of physical ability, the item which most makes a passing attack is qb and wide receiver trust.

Cowboys taking Bryant at 24 was the A+ pick of the first round. Count, without addressing each of your points the Cowboys just got very, very dangerous offensively and added a huge return threat. They were actually not as deep at WR as you might think.
1. Austin had a great year. I expect him to continue that, but there's no guarantee that he can repeat that level. I hope he can and the Cowboys expect him to.
2. Roy Williams is a complete bust. He's had ample time to establish himself and instead he's delivered exactly nothing. Romo has worked hard to work him into the offense and he either can't get open, or runs the wrong route or drops the ball when he does get open. They stayed with him longer than they should have and it hasn't worked. They won't trade him, but they know they can't rely on him.
3. Patrick Creighton is fine, but Patrick Creighton is just a guy. He's no real threat.

With Bryant, the Cowboys have a true Randy Moss-type talent.

Do they have other issues to address, sure. So does every team. Nobody has pro bowlers at every position. But you put Austin on one side, Bryant on the other, Romo at quarterback, Felix Jones at running back and Jason Witten at TE and you have an absolute nightmare for defensive coordinators. They need to add one OL guy...two would be better, but one works. They should be able to do that in either the later rounds or in free agency.

I'm very excited about this pick.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Moss-Bryant comparison other than both have had off-the-field problems. Moss is a freak of nature; Bryant is 6'2" with average speed. I think Bryant will be a solid pro, with the potential to be a very good one if he cleans up his work habits.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No excuse there.
blush.gif

That and the Mike/Reggie Williams signings have had me tearing out my hair for about a month. I could be wrong, and Whitehurst may be the next coming of Steve Young... but we just traded down 20 picks in the 2nd round, gave up our 3rd round pick, and paid 10 million dollars for a guy who hasn't even been a 2nd string QB before.

That being said, I think the Seahawks had a great first round. I don't think either of their picks were terribly difficult decisions though, and my credit is tempered by the fact that a no-brainer fell to them at six, and they had a host of "right picks" available to them at 14. Props for skipping Jimmy Claussen tho. I was worried they'd take him.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
The dez bryant pick was a good one. The cowboys had no speed really and noone to stretch the field. They have a deep threat now to take pressure of Miles Austin and Witten. Roy williams is garbage and crayton is mediocre. Also, remember that there is uncertainty with Austin's future beyond this coming season. If someone next season offers Austin a boatload more moeny than he's worth the cowboys have a backup plan. Still time to take someone like Taylor Mays in the 2nd/3rd

By far the comment of the night from my friend watching the draft on Tebow:

God wanted tebow to be a mile closer to him

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every coach brings in some guys who understand his MO. Look at Bill Parcells. He doesn't seem to go anywhere without bringing a certain number of guys from his last team.

Re: Whitehurst. While Williams is a CPC thing all the way, Whitehurst is John Schneider's pick. Lots of NFL guys rely on their original (college) evaluation of a player. Schneider clearly had a 1st round grade on Whitehurst and made the move.

Schneider was really well thought of in Green Bay by Thompson, and did help build the Seahawks super bowl team with Thompson when they both worked together out there. Give it some time.

Oh yeah, having lots of "right picks" doesn't always equal making the right picks - see also Jeff Lagemann and the old New York Jets and the current Raiders.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
FWIW, I thought the Raiders made a pretty solid pick this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads