• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dv_indian

Reaction score
Wearing Krizia Uomo today.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jardin Apres La Mousson today. I go through phases with this one: sometimes I think it smells cheap, like a Jolly Rancher candy, and at other times I think it's quite a sophisticated, complex scent. I've been liking it again for the last couple of weeks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, just wanted to share this insane wardrobe with you off the Basenotes Post a Pic thread... like jaw dropping (not mine obviously)

wardrobe.jpg

hardisty17

Reaction score
Is it bad that i got really excited when I saw this....like I could feel my heart start beating faster excited

scugger

Reaction score
Holy ****, that is insane. Very nice lighting and arranging. Right now: Testing out Montale Red Vetyver . Eerily similar to TdH.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Insane certainly is the right word for it. Did he (I presume) just go and buy everything over a certain price point and then arrange them accordingly?

Seeing that brings me back around to the issue I face each time I buy something - will I actually wear the damn stuff, or is this just acquiring to have it? I really wrestled with this issue when I binged on Pour Monsieur last year, and it is not lost on me that I still have part of the very first bottle of Antaeus I ever bought, in '06. Not a single bottle emptied in four years.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Insane certainly is the right word for it. Did he (I presume) just go and buy everything over a certain price point and then arrange them accordingly?

Seeing that brings me back around to the issue I face each time I buy something - will I actually wear the damn stuff, or is this just acquiring to have it? I really wrestled with this issue when I binged on Pour Monsieur last year, and it is not lost on me that I still have part of the very first bottle of Antaeus I ever bought, in '06. Not a single bottle emptied in four years.

This guy definitely has some kind of issue and has way more juice than he will ever be able to use. He does seem to have at least some restraint (haha) because he doesn't have "everything" from each house up there, although he certainly seems to have all of the basenotes approved stuff. Either way, I am glad this guy is obsessed and posted this crazy pic.

Today: Giving Hermes Equipage a try.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a big 125ml bottle of Viktor & Rolf Antidote last week ( gift ) and still haven't opened it for some reason. Do you guys think it's worth opening and trying it, or should I leave it unopened and sell it asap ? I actually don't need another scent at the moment and would only open and try it if it's really worth it. I'm kinda averse after I've looked up the ingedrients and notes-description. I don't want to smell like an Oriental fruit salad or something...

Any experiential reports ?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger

This is a really great fragrance in my opinion, but it seems so formal and old-school that I always felt odd wearing it even to the office. I finished the bottle a couple of years ago, but haven't felt compelled to buy another.

Jardin Sur le Nil today. This is my favorite of the Jardins, and the fragrance on which I get complimented the most by far. My bottle is 99% empty, though, so I've resisted wearing it lately.

boo

Reaction score
That's a really nice set-up. I'd love to try putting something like that together, though it would be on a MUCH smaller scale unfortunately.

Today its Les Parfums du Soleil - Soir de Marrakech, purchased from Takashimaya (they still haven't started their going out of business sale as of yesterday, and was told it would probably be next week). It's availble in Morocco for a fraction of what I paid, but I guess it's still a bargain if you account for airfare to Africa. It goes on a bit medicinal at first, kind of like M7, but becomes an orange creamsicle with a bit of spice and incense. Longevity has been surprisingly good despite being an EdT.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hmmm...have never tried Antidote, but I haven't heard a lot of bad things about it. If I were you I'd seek out a sample or tester and see whether it works for you.

Today: SCS New Spice again. Yesterday it lasted the whole workday, which surprised me. Still liking it quite a bit.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Wow, that collection is insane! But also drool worthy.
Wearing Jivago 24k today. I had heard that it's similar to Cool Water, but it is almost a clone! I like Cool Water, so no complaints.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Insane certainly is the right word for it.

+1.

WTF? This guy is obviously willing to spend insane amounts of money to acquire a huge variety of excellent fragrances. But when it comes time to acquire the very best of the best, he cheaps out. Where's the Drakkar Dynamik, to say nothing of the Drakkar Noir? Where, for God's sake, is The Baron? Where is Blue Jeans? I search in vain. (Perhaps he keeps these in a safe-deposit box at the bank, in which case I retract my harsh critique.)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
This guy definitely has some kind of issue and has way more juice than he will ever be able to use. He does seem to have at least some restraint (haha) because he doesn't have "everything" from each house up there, although he certainly seems to have all of the basenotes approved stuff. Either way, I am glad this guy is obsessed and posted this crazy pic.

Actually, there were two pics that came to mind that were far larger: one was a large-scale decanter who had work tables covered with full bottles. Covered.

The other one was a collector who put every bottle he owned in front of his fireplace. It was huuuuuge. The only drawback was that he had a ton of cheapies - but once you get to a certain count, there's not a whole lot left to draw from in terms of guy-friendly quality line-ups. I mean, SL has - what - 24 scents, Tom Ford a dozen or so? Then Bond, Le Labo, Guerlain, Nicolai, Malle. After that, you're into smaller-scale territory, with fewer than a dozen scents per house, or you go Lauder/Aramis, and the mass-market types.

(BTW: guy's obviously a small-timer. In my house...the bottles that aren't in that season's herd...are in their boxes. That's right. in their BOXES!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads