• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh1233
I have some items that my wife bought for me from C. Tyrwhitt that I was going to return, but am thinking about maybe exchanging for their "Conker Brown Calf Leather Oxford Semi-Brogue Shoes" which if my detective work is correct are a pair of Loake Oban's.

My question is, do the Loake sizes run true? I've seen mixed opinions on here as to their sizes. I'm a US size 9 for several pairs of (don't bash) Cole Haan's I got about 10 years ago. Should a UK 8.5 work, or do these lasts run large?

thanks in advance.

No experience with Cole Haans, but Loake are slightly generous compared to say Cheaney or Alfred Sargent. My guess would be 8.5 but it does depend on foot shape...

southbound35

Reaction score
I have some items that my wife bought for me from C. Tyrwhitt that I was going to return, but am thinking about maybe exchanging for their "Conker Brown Calf Leather Oxford Semi-Brogue Shoes" which if my detective work is correct are a pair of Loake Oban's.

My question is, do the Loake sizes run true? I've seen mixed opinions on here as to their sizes. I'm a US size 9 for several pairs of (don't bash) Cole Haan's I got about 10 years ago. Should a UK 8.5 work, or do these lasts run large?

thanks in advance.

Sorry, I wear a US 9D, so a medium width.

I wear between 8.5 and 9.0M in Cole Haans. I bought a pair of 8.5M Tyrwhitt shoes (similar semi-brogues) a few years ago and they fit absolutely huge. Even with a running shoe insert and lacing very tightly, my feet still feel like they're swimming in them. If those are the shoes you decide to buy, I'd suggest sizing down a full size (US 9D ----> UK 8D).

I'm not sure where you fit on the elegant vs. blobby continuum, but I personally think the Loake/Tyrwhitt shoes are a bit blobby (as a result, I rarely wear mine). If returning to Tyrwhitt for full purchase price is an option and you want to buy shoes, I think you could find a more elegant shoe of similar quality for the same price or maybe slightly more. I haven't been in the market to buy shoes recently, so I really don't have any specific suggestions.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Land's End chinos? I saw they have tailored fit chinos and might get a pair.

josh1233

Reaction score
thanks southbound35. Not sure what to do. Are you sure that the CT shoes you got were Loake? I believe the only Loake shoes CT re-brand are the "calf leather" ones. And other than the color of the CT versions, they are a dead ringer for the Loake Oban model (Last 1639). I've heard that the other shoes run big. I guess I could send back what I have for an exchange with these shoes and if they don't work out, send them back for a refund.? Or just get something like Allen Edmonds or Alden's in a lighter brown.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
Can I wear a black or brown belt with #8 cordovan shoes? Or will a belt only work with them if it's a similar burgundy-ish type color?
A belt with some burgundy color is really the only good way of doing it.

mrtef3

Reaction score
I picked these up on eBay last night - I know Bally gets mixed reviews on SF, but the buy-it-now price seemed to make rolling the dice worth it. I asked the seller where they were made, and he replied that the only thing he could find inside the shoe was "Bally Alceste 2-02." Does anyone know what this means? Thanks in advance for your replies. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Hackett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Does anyone have any experience with Land's End chinos? I saw they have tailored fit chinos and might get a pair.
Not the chinos, but I bought two pairs of the tailored fit twill pants. They've been a fairly solid buy for the price, as far as I'm concerned. The fabric won't blow you away, but they're trimmer than most of my other trousers.

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Should the finish on a pair of boat shoes come off like this in the course of two weeks?

img5075ys.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy-Montag
Should the finish on a pair of boat shoes come off like this in the course of two weeks?

No.

BigSur

Reaction score
when are gray suits appropriate? Are gray suits formal? If yes, are they formal still with brown shoes (assuming they are of an appropriate shade of brown of course)?

What color suits should attorneys/law students wear to work/internships/formal occassions?

Always black?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigSur
when are gray suits appropriate?
Pretty much always.

Are gray suits formal?
The darker the gray, the more formal.

If yes, are they formal still with brown shoes (assuming they are of an appropriate shade of brown of course)?
Less formal with brown shoes than with black shoes.

What color suits should attorneys/law students wear to work/internships/formal occassions?
Navy and mid to dark gray.

Always black?
Black is for semiformal or formal wear. Tuxedos, etc.

Please Respond

Reaction score
Can I wear a tie on a shirt with applets?
(Black, 7 Diamonds shirt)

And can the tie be light (soft blues, grey's and whites) against a black shirt?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads