• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt22616

Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't tell if this had ever been worn. 100% wool, made in Italy Bullock & Jones cardigan vest. Really thick smoked MOP buttons. Best part, fits like a glove. On no, the best part was that it was $1.99.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Any of you experts willing to give us a quick class on what to pick up in the record bin?
I don't want to take up too much space as this is a bit OT. PM me if you want to know anything else. Here's a quick run-down. Records are a bit harder to figure out than clothes. With clothes, whether you're into streetwear or MC, you can tell a quality piece when you see one. With records, you never really know. I'm only into what I like (60's-70's rock), but here's a quick, generic rundown of what I look for. There's a lot more to look for than just this, but this is just from my knowledge. - Anything on the Blue Note label. Original pressings go for a pretty good chunk of change. Reissues are also in demand.
bluenote.jpg
- RCA shaded dog label classical LPs. I usually never pay attention to classical stuff but I really should start looking for these.
rca-shaded+dog.jpg
- Any 60's rock LPs in great shape. No split seams on the covers, minimal to no ringwear, glossy vinyl with little to no scuffs. No scratches. Usually includes original company paper sleeve. Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. Mono pressings are more sought after than stereo on many of these. - Any wierd, off-the-wall looking 60's-70's rock LPs. Bands with names like The Sacred Mushroom, Bubble Puppy, The Beggars Opera, etc. If the cover art is trippy and the cover features what looks like a bunch of scruffy hippies, pick it up. This genre has a lot of collectors (including me). If it has a really plain looking label and was pressed locally, then there's a better chance of it being worth big money. Don't let this turn you off of the big labels like Mainstream, RCA, Uni and Capitol. They all experimented with a lot of cool bands that put out LPs that are now worth a pretty penny.
13.jpg
DSCN5137.jpg
- 50's rock and roll or old blues 78s.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Thanks.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Finally found something to brag about. It has been a while since I have found anything at all.
Alden wing tips
aldenhanover007.jpg

and Hanover LB Sheppard Long wings
aldenhanover001.jpg

Taken Aback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Great story! What type of music was it, if you don't mind me asking? I'm really into psych/prog of the late 60's and early 70's. Finding that stuff on vinyl in a thrift is near impossible. It seems that everyone who has an orig. pressing knows what they have.

While my tastes actually span further than that specific take, it was late 70s/early 80s pre-new wave stuff. Early imports and promos from The Police, U2 and the like. All spotless, and not a standard US retail pressing in the lot. I had the feeling they were a donation from a promoter considering the promos.

matt22616

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
Finally found something to brag about. It has been a while since I have found anything at all.

and Hanover LB Sheppard Long wings

Longwings for sale/trade?

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
Longwings for sale/trade?

Yes, size 9 D. Send me a pm if they will work for you.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Nice finds Hoofit, I myself just found a pair of longwing Hanover's in 11d/b (sorry Matt, the black ones had the be the ones in your size).

hanoversm1.jpg

hanoversm2.jpg

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Those Aldens look great, what size?

I hit up a last thrift shop for the day, slim pickings; surprising considering its the biggest store. I did find a Dior tie and also a silk Etro. So my findings for the day.

J. Crew navy cotton pinstripes.
2010-04-22173018.jpg

The ties, Etro on the right.
2010-04-22172847.jpg

J Crew Linen ss
2010-04-22172619.jpg

And the Zegna shirt. Couldn't get the color right with my phone, my camera died. Its not green at all, more a rusty red. The tag picture is a closer indication. A really great feeling shirt.
2010-04-22172326.jpg
2010-04-22172424.jpg

Also saw these Ballys loafers in a 10d, but were too big for me. Definitely used, but still in decent shape, a soft leather. Could run back out and get them for cheap if anyone was interested.
2010-04-22161517.jpg

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
What about the Aldens?

Aldens are also available size 8.5 d/b PM please.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a thrift near me that has a nice Hickey Freeman suit sitting unsold for months because they priced it at $69.99 and haven't dropped the price a penny. Three times now I've seen it, gotten excited about it, and then saw the price and remembered getting mad about last time I was in the store.

Swan Song

Reaction score
I found these pretty cool looking cuff links today for $1

Is there any specific significance to the symbols? or just a generic display of French symbols.

there is only a patent number, no other markings

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Those look pretty nice^. One thing I forgot to say about vinyl is that an easy way to grab some rarer stuff without knowing anything is to look for colored vinyl. While its not always worth something, more often times than not colored vinyl was a limited run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads