• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate being exactly average size!

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Dude... I'm not svelt, but I'd hardly call myself Gigantic with a 36 waist. I'd say 34 is average for adult males not in Asia with a high distribution from 32-36. 30 and 38 are less common.

++

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s0rce
try being a 36S
Wouldn't this be in the "boys" or "Young mens" section?

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought 38r was the "average" size. If there is an item here in b&s with that size, it's almost a guarantee someone will get that item. I go to eBay, some sellers jack the price up for a 38r size compared to a different size of the same item that they are also selling. Even at the stores themselves I find 38r size to disappear before the other sizes. Then again, maybe it's just me. :/

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by s0rce
try being a 36S
+infinity

Everything in the sale section at every store is Large. Everything at the thrift stores, even the good stuff, is large.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Just because the rest of the nation is fatter doesn't mean you aren't fat. A difficult truth to swallow, but the truth nonetheless.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I don't know about that. I went to Uniqlo in NYC to buy a pair of their raw jeans. They had every size from 32 - 38, except good ol' 36.

Oh, I live in a strange land west of NY where pizzas are a plenty and coke is the new water - lol. Also, sitting in a cube all day ain't helping my silhouette.

Bizzare, because I was just at uniqlo and they had every size except for 31 and 32 in the raw jeans.
ffffuuuu.gif

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
+1

I would rather take a 40-42 suit and be able to fit into a traditional fit dress shirt. I'm stuck searching the stores/internet for slim fit and extra slim fit in 15.5 x 32. Plus, I have an addiction (much like most SF's!) to dress clothes. I just listed a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt on ebay that should have fit nicely from the size chart...only to have the sleeves too long
frown.gif

Why didn't you just bring that shirt to a tailor to have it shortened? It's a fairly standard procedure.

+1 on being 36S

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Just because the rest of the nation is fatter doesn't mean you aren't fat. A difficult truth to swallow, but the truth nonetheless.
Agree. 36 waist is fat and looking at health problems now and down the road. 32 is max for a healthy fit individual. Once you lose the weight and wear a 32 or less you will swim in huge 36 pants and wonder how you ever wore clown pants. Anyone that thinks 34 is svelte is delusional.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Agree. 36 waist is fat and looking at health problems now and down the road. 32 is max for a healthy fit individual. Anyone that thinks 34 is svelte is delusional.
That's pretty judgmental **** considering we have not discussed my height (although I did disclose a shoe size of 9D, so obviously I'm not extremely tall) ... however I will definitely say there are some extremely healthy folks out there rocking a 36-38 waist who are that size because they are 5'10 - 6'2 and muscular. If you are over 5'9 and wearing less than a 32, you are probably gaunt... HIV and a smack problem is not healthy or attractive either.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I've never seen a FIT person rock a 36-38 waist. Being muscular doesn't mean you're not fat. You can be muscular and still have a lot of body fat.

Albern

Reaction score
Guys can you please stop using svelte to discuss men's pants.

This is svelte:

gallery_enlarged-0223_mila_wga_15.jpg

This is not:

phone3.jpg

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a FIT person rock a 36-38 waist. Being muscular doesn't mean you're not fat. You can be muscular and still have a lot of body fat.
You're seriously talking out of your ass. I guess it's possible you are a nancy-boy who has never actually been to a gym, seen an NFL or NHL game, etc... but I assure you there are some extremely fit people out there with a 36" waist. (ps. jockeys are not athletes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads