• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandon1987
Here's my car, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 (Please excuse how dirty it is, I need to wash it)

How do you like this car, and if you don't mind, what other cars have you owned previously? Interested in an owner's review because I see hundreds of these daily and they are fairly cheap in my parts (~$15K for the 2.0T if my forex is popping)

brandon1987

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
How do you like this car, and if you don't mind, what other cars have you owned previously? Interested in an owner's review because I see hundreds of these daily and they are fairly cheap in my parts (~$15K for the 2.0T if my forex is popping)
Hundreds eh? Wow, I'm lucky to see another one once a week or so... To be quite honest, I love it, I never would have thought in a million years that I would ever buy or drive a Hyundai. My previous cars were: 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, 2000 BMW 323i, and an 2005 Acura RSX. When I was buying this car I was also looking at a ~2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP and ~2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe, and just couldn't justify spending the same kind of money on an older, less powerful, less optioned car. If you can get one for ~$15,000 I'd say do it, the best I've heard anyone doing is $19,000 all in on a 2.0T Base. I wish Canadian pricing wasn't so out of whack compared to the US, because I paid nearly $36,000 for mine. The car drives great, suspension is a little rougher (similar to a Nissan 350Z) but handles really well, I didn't personally like the 2.0T but there is a reflash available for ~$700 that makes it into a totally different beast. The steering, and breaks feel great, lots of feedback and tons of nice features inside. I wish the interior was a little more upscale though as the door panels and parts of the dash still have too much hard plastic, but Hyundai has confirmed that they're upgrading the interior for 2011.

daft

Reaction score

If you can get one for ~$15,000 I'd say do it, the best I've heard anyone doing is $19,000 all in on a 2.0T Base. I wish Canadian pricing wasn't so out of whack compared to the US, because I paid nearly $36,000 for mine.

How and where in the world can you one for ~$15000 when Sonatas are around 20k

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^I live in Korea.
redface.gif
They came out a couple years ago here, when the exchange rate was taking a nosedive, and so I could've bought a new 2.0T for as low as $14K a year ago (and a smaller korean-market V6 Genesis sedan would've been like $28K at the time too), hovered around ~$17K or so for the year of 2009, and now they're probably back up towards 19K or so for a new one in '10 now that the exchange rate is evening out again. I should've gotten a new one last year, driven it, and sold it this year and pocketed a few grand.
redface.gif
They're immensely popular here, Koreans know it's the first real domestic car worth buying. Also, imported cars are really expensive here as well and so people who buy these aren't cross shopping them against anything else. Infiniti G's are $50-60K and German 2.0L cars (320i, C200K A4) are $50K to start, all with automatics, so the Genesis is just about the only car you can buy over here with a MT for under 20,30,40, or even 50 grand. It's not very good pickings. Because of that though, most people who have the Gen coupe over here obviously have never owned anything else that compares (or at all, it's a popular first car here) so I haven't seen any decent reviews on the Genesis coupe, except the usual car rags that keep saying that it's about 90-95% as good as a G37/et al for 75% of the price.

stormin10

Reaction score
Im currently in a 2009 infiniti fx35 awd, completely custom though

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
How much lighter are they? Just saying, not that I disagree with you in anyway, not familiar with SCCA rules.

I'm not familiar with SCCA rules either, but in BMW club racing, the stock classes are pretty stock, so the cars aren't much lighter than their production form. The keys are racing pads, which work at a much higher temperature, better brake fluid, and better braking technique.

--Andre

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Im thinking switching to a Lincon Town car or other full size American Luxury car.... Why?

Dunno, I heard its like driving a couch on a highway, and you can fit 6 people and all their luggage.

I can attest to this. My brother had a 1984 Buick Lesabre. This was before Buick cut the size of their cars in 1/2. This car was literally a land yacht. Still, it was like driving a La-Z-Boy. My dad has a Mercury Grand Marquis and it's ride is very similar.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Hmmmm......

How full size is an BMW 5 series?

I know its classified as a Mid-sized.....

Could you fit 5 people and all their luggage and be comfortable on a road trip ? (Even in the back with say riders around 6ft tall)?

Not really liking the look or the price of the 7 series, but a used 5 isn't that bad.

More performance then a town car.

I currently drive an 3 series from the late 80's..... A compact car, its just to small.

brandon1987

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Hmmmm...... How full size is an BMW 5 series? I know its classified as a Mid-sized..... Could you fit 5 people and all their luggage and be comfortable on a road trip ? (Even in the back with say riders around 6ft tall)? Not really liking the look or the price of the 7 series, but a used 5 isn't that bad. More performance then a town car. I currently drive an 3 series from the late 80's..... A compact car, its just to small.
I'm assuming we're talking about the E60? ...5 people might be tough, BMW's back seats typically aren't designed to have a very useful middle seat, the centre tunnel us quite high and large, and the seat rises quite a bit to make the other two seats more contoured. Two six-footers should be just fine in the back for a road trip, but I would pitty whoever gets crammed in the middle. As for the luggage, they actually have pretty good sized trunks so I wouldn't worry much on that front.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...5 people might be tough, BMW's back seats typically aren't designed to have a very useful middle seat, the centre tunnel us quite high and large, and the seat rises quite a bit to make the other two seats more contoured. Two six-footers should be just fine in the back for a road trip, but I would pitty whoever gets crammed in the middle. As for the luggage, they actually have pretty good sized trunks so I wouldn't worry much on that front.

I agree. Three adults in the back of a 5-series would make for a very cramped ride. Also, the trunk is pretty large (certainly quite a bit bigger than that of a 3-series), but I'm still not sure that you could fit five persons' luggage in it. Obviously it would depend on the size of the bags.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am leaning to the idea of painting my black cirrus which has creme interior. What would be the right color of choice other than not paint it at all?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
I am leaning to the idea of painting my black cirrus which has creme interior. What would be the right color of choice other than not paint it at all?

Honestly, unless you have some DEEP attachment to that car, I wouldn't bother. Most re-paints are not quality jobs. Quality will cost some SERIOUS money. Save that money and put it towards a newer car.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^agreed

I always cringe when someone says they want to repaint their car like it's changing a light bulb.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi

Don't do it! The car won't match the VIN and it has a negative affect on resale $. If you MUST do it, do it right and use OEM paint and have it done by the dealership not some retailer like Maaco

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^agreed

I always cringe when someone says they want to repaint their car like it's changing a light bulb.

+2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics