• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please talk me out of spending $800 on Canali shoes

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think i have seen the loafers he's referring to (if they truly look like those Barker Blacks without the metal pieces)...they look well-made but the last just looked marsupialed.

also Canali makes some really weird finishes. the loafers i saw were the color and finish of something i had coughed up during my last bout with bronchitis (they were on sale hehe)

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i mean imo if you want a grey pair of shoes might as well go avant garde and go with something like this

santoni-1.png

Wow, that is the last and model I´m looking for those in Canali but in black or brown.

Where can I find them?

To Fidel; Canali shoes are made by an ex Sutor, right? One buddy has this signature , buy the expensive think you like and you will cry once. That applies to you.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
To Fidel; Canali shoes are made by an ex Sutor, right? One buddy has this signature , buy the expensive think you like and you will cry once. That applies to you.

I believe Canali shoes are made by Campanile. But the goodyear welted ones are close to sutor standards in terms of quality.

BTW, irony of irony, that sig you're thinking of is mine
blush.gif

Bellison

Reaction score
Why would you get $800 Canalis when you can get much more elegant Corthays for the same price?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Actually it was at Henry Singer (Edmonton's local direct competitor of Harry's), but I did see some gorgeous models at Harry's as well. Any intel on upcoming sales at Harry's?

Take a month or two, and if you still want them, get them. The month or two is a good buffer against regrettable expensive impulse buys.

Even in three months, they will still be there. No one in Edmonton is dumb enough to buy $800 shoes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
fidel , this is what you do. trust me there is no harm in this.

if the retailer is nordstrom or saks, or some place with an extended return policy , buy the shoes, keep the receipt and hold onto them for a few weeks. dont wear them, just take them out of the box , enjoy looking at them, feeling them, try them on but just to try on, with different pants and so forth. put them back in the box.
after awhile, you will either

feel bored of them, you'll feel like if they were bought from b and s, you would have to sell them for cheaper and lose money.

go return them.

or

feel still alot of desire for them. they may be classic then to your eye. keep them. money well spent.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I think all of use are trying to convince him that those Canalis are not worth 800 USd but its no use if those are the shoes that he wants.

I am reminded of a saying in India which roughly translates into

When your heart is set upon a female donkey, what use is a princess to you

Originally Posted by aj_del
One week after he buys them for 800 they will turn up for sale at 250 on the B n S

That seems a little contradictory. I say f the donkey, marry the princess...in other words save your money for some better shoes or even save money and buy better quality shoes. You could even fly to Italy and buy a pair of Campaniles for that.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I believe Canali shoes are made by Campanile. But the goodyear welted ones are close to sutor standards in terms of quality.

BTW, irony of irony, that sig you're thinking of is mine
blush.gif

Oh It was you already!
facepalm.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
haha

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are handmade line of santoni shoes. i think these run about 1500 dollar.s
It smelled me to Santoni , that´s for saying.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Take a month or two, and if you still want them, get them. The month or two is a good buffer against regrettable expensive impulse buys.

Even in three months, they will still be there. No one in Edmonton is dumb enough to buy $800 shoes.

So what you are saying is that it takes a month, two or three to complete the dumbing down process ?
In that case, isn't it better for him to buy immediately and stay smart?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fidel , this is what you do. trust me there is no harm in this. if the retailer is nordstrom or saks, or some place with an extended return policy , buy the shoes, keep the receipt and hold onto them for a few weeks. dont wear them, just take them out of the box , enjoy looking at them, feeling them, try them on but just to try on, with different pants and so forth. put them back in the box. after awhile, you will either feel bored of them, you'll feel like if they were bought from b and s, you would have to sell them for cheaper and lose money. go return them. or feel still alot of desire for them. they may be classic then to your eye. keep them. money well spent.
I finally decided to do this. I walked into the store, made a bee-line for the shoe department and asked to try them on. They guy jumped with excitement, because no one buys $800 shoes in Edmonton. He brings them and pops them out of the box.... they were perfectly even chocolate brown. Apparently the one I was staring and and admiring for having a pewter antiqued look was just an aberration with some scuffing. Canali shoes are probably worse for this than any other shoe brand I've ever seen. It's like playing the lottery when you open up the box because the leather and dye job on every pair looks totally different, some are totally flawless, others look they just came from a thrift store. I tried them on, and they were bloody nice shoes, but suddenly I felt like I could walk out of there without spending $800. It's relieving.
smile.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fidel , this is what you do. trust me there is no harm in this.

if the retailer is nordstrom or saks, or some place with an extended return policy , buy the shoes, keep the receipt and hold onto them for a few weeks. dont wear them, just take them out of the box , enjoy looking at them, feeling them, try them on but just to try on, with different pants and so forth. put them back in the box.
after awhile, you will either

feel bored of them, you'll feel like if they were bought from b and s, you would have to sell them for cheaper and lose money.

go return them.

or

feel still alot of desire for them. they may be classic then to your eye. keep them. money well spent.

Will this selection process work with women?
devil.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fools errand to wait for something like these on eBay or B&S. B&S is for opportunistic buys. The problem is, from what you describe this isn't a staple shoe. If you were getting a conventional brown shoe, it'd be a different story. If you don't want to spend $800 on shoes, then you probably don't want to spend $800 on shoes like these. That said, if you really want it, you're the only one that can make that decision - and you already seem to have made that decision.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads