• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately Need some legal advice re: My Credit Report/Score

esq

Reaction score
Take her to small claims court. Then, if your credit is f'd, call Lexington Law and they do an awesome job of fixing credit.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not legal advice and do not rely on the following, anybody:

I seem to recall reading some unreliable sources (and can not comment whether they are correct)that say with respect to your credit score, you may do more harm than good paying old debts off. Something to do with making it current again.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you pay it, the default credit report entry becomes current as of the date of making the payment and will stay with you for the next 7 years.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I am not an expert on this, and you need to do some research to find out for certain whether this is correct: Contact them and negotiate a payment in full with the agreement that they will delete ALL reporting of this account to the three credit bureaus. I think the term you are looking for is "pay for delete". Get it in writing before you do it. If they won't do that, then you are better off paying it anyway because as the bad history ages your score will improve.
This. Get everything in writing....stay off the phone! Do you have proof of your negotiation at the time of cancellation 2 years ago? Do NOT pay them right now. Whether paid or unpaid, it has the same negative affect on your report. It will drop off 7 years from the date of your last delinquency and, as Steve says, the older it is the less affect it has on your score. Is this in the collection segment or installment/credit section. That has a huge bearing on how to approach the situation as well. Is it on all 4 or what combination thereof (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax, Innovis)?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
This.
Get everything in writing. Do you have proof of your negotiation at the time of cancellation 2 years ago? Do NOT pay them right now. Whether paid or unpaid, it has the same negative affect on your report. It will drop off 7 years from the date of your last delinquency and, as Steve says, the older it is the less affect it has on your score.
Is this in the collection segment or installment/credit section. Is it on all 4 or what combination thereof (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax, Innovis)?

I can echo this sentiment. Pay it off in full in exchange for a full delete. Hopefully you're still just dealing with the company itself and not a CA as well, otherwise you might have multiple listings on your report for the same thing.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
...but FWIW it was more civil disobedience turned awry

It's called pique, or perhaps stubborn self-interest. You can even call it a matter of principle if you wish. But it's not civil disobedience and bears no resemblance to it whatsoever. The very essence of civil disobedience is a willing acceptance and embracing of the consequences of one's actions.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay the pieces of ****, I was in a similiar situation with comcast, I told them I already cancelled and they refunded my money because I threatened to **** their bitches.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I wouldn't pay the pieces of ****, I was in a similiar situation with comcast, I told them I already cancelled and they refunded my money because I threatened to **** their bitches.

Apparently the glass ceiling isn't in effect at Comcast.
smile.gif

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

Now this is a strategy I had not considered. Kings to you, sir!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get your credit rescored. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I've heard that there are third party companies you can hire to help you fix your credit report if there's a mistake or disputed item. I saw a report about it on tv. Google it.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
You can get your credit rescored. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I've heard that there are third party companies you can hire to help you fix your credit report if there's a mistake or disputed item. I saw a report about it on tv. Google it.

I think all they do is negotiate a repayment in exchange for taking it off the report, but I'm not sure.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
I think all they do is negotiate a repayment in exchange for taking it off the report, but I'm not sure.

Which is exactly what OP should be doing.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

It's called rapid rescoring and is mainly used by mortgage brokers to tweak minor errors for a 10-20 point score bump. It's good for getting yourself in to a low APR. They're not going to remove legitimate debts like the one the OP has

Monaco

Reaction score
Alright, this is what you could do: Write the bastard t-mobile corporation a letter and include these contents: Tell them that you are happy to pay the lawfully owed financial obligations upon receipt of these three items in your mail. 1. validation of the owed debt (actual accounting figures) 2. verification of their claim against you (a sworn affidavit or a signed true invoice) 3. a full disclosure copy of the contract binding both parties. If they cannot provide these documents then you have no true obligation to pay. And if these corporate thugs sick their 3rd party collection agencies and/or lawyers on you, you are not obligated to reply them, unless you are being served..which is a different matter. They have nothing to do with you and t-mobile and have NO jurisdiction over you, period, if they do try to contact you, you make sure you let them know they have nothing to do with 'the person in question'. I urge you to learn your 'common law rights' and 'contract law' as they will help you in incidents like these where these doucheb's are trying to take advantage of good people, if you want some more info, you can PM me.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
^^^^

To the legion of dudes towards the top:

yeah, I know ******** up...but FWIW it was more civil disobedience turned awry than dumb kid not paying his bills.

Unfortunately this is partly what a credit score is for. They would like to know whether you are the type to settle/handle/correct/clarify your bills in a reasonable amount of time, or the type to just say "*******, you aren't getting my moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!" and ignore them, aka someone who receives a monthly bill for 9 months and doesn't realize it. Maybe you forgot to set up mail forwarding or whatever, but they don't care about why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads