• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I'm seeing the opposite here - it's the ballers (or wannabes) who are okay shorting the barstaff or waitstaff. This is pretty much a universal phenomenon in the service industry: the worst table to get (leaving aside racial prejudices, of which there are many in the restaurant industry), the worst table to get is a bunch of middle-aged women who never had to work a day in their lives (or jumped straight into an Executive Editor position courtesy of daddy's friends). They'll run you ragged, split their checks 20 ways, pull out magnifying glasses to inspect their food - and cut your tip if you're not constantly standing at their right shoulder, water pitcher at the ready. The best tables to get are people of some means (poorforum folk can barely afford to eat out, much less tip), but who worked in a service capacity (in college, or whatever) - they're understanding, they're good tippers, they aren't ridiculously demanding.
I used to work in the restaurant industry and I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. But I would say that the racial prejudices do exist for a reason that I am not going to state.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, there was this group of social workers than came to Muir's twice a month. All female, all of a certain age, and being in Detroit, 90% black. Not a single ******* one of them tipped. There was about 20 in the group, so they would cost us about $20 for coming to lunch. This happened three times and then we were wise to them. They were forced to self park at the back of the lot.

I left out civil servants. ****, I hated waiting on civil servants of any kind - cops, social workers, people from city hall, whatever. The industry's racial and ethnic stereotypes didn't seem to apply in relation to them tipping, they were all just dicks.

(And now that I work in construction, I hate an all new crowd of civil servants...)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
But I would say that the racial prejudices do exist for a reason that I am not going to state.
People I know in the restaurant industry tell me that racial prejudice does indeed exist. I don't know whether it's justified because I'm not in the industry, but I know that some local restaurants have trouble getting servers to work during certain events due to reduced tips and higher demands.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify for people not reading between the lines: it is a belief in the service industry that black people don't tip as well (on average) as other races/ethnicities, particularly white folk.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Just to clarify for people not reading between the lines: it is a belief in the service industry that black people don't tip as well (on average) as other races/ethnicities, particularly white folk.

I find that this to be true amongst the rapper wannabe segment of the black community. When I waited tables I didn't expect much in the way of tips from this group. Regular, working families, however, were always big tippers. So much so that they are overly generous in order to dispell the myth that all black people are cheap.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I used to work in a local Chinese restaurant back in the day, I would rate on average: white>hispanic>vietnamese/taiwanese>mainland chinese>indian>blacks. I used to ***** at boss for giving me tables with fobby chinese and blacks. I am not saying that there are not good chinese/indian/blacks, but overall, they were pretty bad.

XeF4

Reaction score
This is surprising because I haven't heard anything bad ******************, I thought Indian people were the problem.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of this threak my lunch tab today was $11.84. I tipped fifteen percent ($1.78), and feeling generous, rounded up a whole 12 cents to $2!

laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Was the service up to par? The server certainly earned that $2 by carrying your club sandwich to the table and refilling your water glass once.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Always tip the best you can based on money in your pocket and conscience...that's it, that's all.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
The worst are those who would complain and complain and no tip at the end.

That sounds pretty consistent actually

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Was the service up to par? The server certainly earned that $2 by carrying your club sandwich to the table and refilling your water glass once.

I really struggled on that 12c. I mean- the food was sub par, but that's not the waitress' fault, right? And, while her grossly over-applied makeup and ill-advised choice of shorts did not aid my digestion AND distracted the business partner I was having a discussion with...

But... she did refill my diet coke (that I didn't want more of).

teacha.gif

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
I find that this to be true amongst the rapper wannabe segment of the black community. When I waited tables I didn't expect much in the way of tips from this group. Regular, working families, however, were always big tippers. So much so that they are overly generous in order to dispell the myth that all black people are cheap.

well by your post we need to tip more because we haven't dispelled the MYTH. Oh...and how do you go about dispelling a MYTH, anyway.???
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads