• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate being exactly average size!

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldboyhip
that's average? i'm 32 in jeans, 5'10, 165 lbs, 38R, 9 1/2 10ish in shoes. i can wear the samples so i'm happy to get free clothes.

How is it free b/c you fit the samples?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
Everytime there's a sale my size disappears almost immediately. I'm size 10 in shoes, 42R in jackets, 36 in pants, and medium in tee-shirts, etc.

I was monitoring this nice wool trenchcoat at the Brooks Brothers sale and of course the 42R's disappear first!

Why don't stores stock up more common sizes?

I'm a 40-42 in jackets so I feel your pain, but I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your assertion that 36 is "average" for pants size. Among people who invest heavily in their wardrobes, I should think 32-33 is more of an average waist. Then again, maybe you're thinking about the people wearing Kiton suits and I'm thinking about the people buying Dior jeans ... carry on ....
uhoh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldboyhip
that's average? i'm 32 in jeans, 5'10, 165 lbs, 38R, 9 1/2 10ish in shoes. i can wear the samples so i'm happy to get free clothes.

Woah....creepy. Wanna trade clothes?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Everytime there's a sale my size disappears almost immediately. I'm size 10 in shoes, 42R in jackets, 36 in pants, and medium in tee-shirts, etc.

I was monitoring this nice wool trenchcoat at the Brooks Brothers sale and of course the 42R's disappear first!

Why don't stores stock up more common sizes?

why are you a 42R when you wear medium in tshirts? you should be a 40R. i wear large in tees and 42R. 16neck

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I'm a 40-42 in jackets so I feel your pain, but I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your assertion that 36 is "average" for pants size. Among people who invest heavily in their wardrobes, I should think 32-33 is more of an average waist. Then again, maybe you're thinking about the people wearing Kiton suits and I'm thinking about the people buying Dior jeans ... carry on ....
uhoh.gif

hey there now ... some of us carry a lil more weight then we would like ... but still enjoy our clothes!
boxing[1].gif

gilwood

Reaction score
Waist size 36 always seems to be the first one gone. Depends on the store too though. I shop heavily at BB. If you shop at Walmart, I'm sure the the XXL's are gone first...

Also - Yes, my butt is big! I refuse to take squats out of my workout routine. Muscle butt or belly? I'll take muscle butt - lol.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP - 36, 44R, 9D - yeah, there's lots of toolbox shoes in those sizes, but nice shoes never last til the sale.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why are you a 42R when you wear medium in tshirts? you should be a 40R. i wear large in tees and 42R. 16neck

I though the same thing, I'm a 42L and wear a large in tees, 34 waist.

The one thing I never have trouble finding in my size is shoes, I'm an 11D.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
where do you live? 36 waist is ******* gigantic. they always have surpluses of those in nyc... i want my 36S and 6.5 shoes
frown.gif
...but most designers don't even make a EU38.5... life is hard
frown.gif

sm332

Reaction score
Waist size 36 always seems to be the first one gone. Depends on the store too though. I shop heavily at BB. If you shop at Walmart, I'm sure the the XXL's are gone first...

Also - Yes, my butt is big! I refuse to take squats out of my workout routine. Muscle butt or belly? I'll take muscle butt - lol.

wish I could say my excess weight had anything to do with muscle
frown.gif

I do play a mean game of squash though!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
where do you live? 36 waist is ******* gigantic. they always have surpluses of those in nyc... i want my 36S and 6.5 shoes
frown.gif
frown.gif

I hate you.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
frown.gif
frown.gif

I don't know about that. I went to Uniqlo in NYC to buy a pair of their raw jeans. They had every size from 32 - 38, except good ol' 36.

Oh, I live in a strange land west of NY where pizzas are a plenty and coke is the new water - lol. Also, sitting in a cube all day ain't helping my silhouette.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude... I'm not svelt, but I'd hardly call myself Gigantic with a 36 waist. I'd say 34 is average for adult males not in Asia with a high distribution from 32-36. 30 and 38 are less common.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads