• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
Do you render your own lard or do you purchase it already rendered?

There is where I'm lazy. There is a huge hispanic population where I live, so I buy it at a market that caters to them.

Just stuffed my thuringer, not 10 minutes ago. Used some collagen casing for part of the batch. Wow. Nice stuff to use. So easy to put on the extruding cone, so uniform. Looking forward to seeing how it smokes out.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
There is where I'm lazy. There is a huge hispanic population where I live, so I buy it at a market that caters to them.

Just stuffed my thuringer, not 10 minutes ago. Used some collagen casing for part of the batch. Wow. Nice stuff to use. So easy to put on the extruding cone, so uniform. Looking forward to seeing how it smokes out.

I just started using lard on a few of my recipes and I wanted to know if you rendered your own so I could glean some tips off you.

Good luck with the Thuringer.

Did you watch Anthony Bourdain last night? There was a segment on Charcuterie I'm sure you would've enjoyed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tragedy has struck. A critter made a nest under my sausage smoker and chewed through the electrical cord
frown.gif
Luckily, the cord is replaceable and the critter shall not be returning.

However, I'm going to have to smoke my thuringer in my other smoker, which is not made for this.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Tragedy has struck. A critter made a nest under my sausage smoker and chewed through the electrical cord
frown.gif
Luckily, the cord is replaceable and the critter shall not be returning.

However, I'm going to have to smoke my thuringer in my other smoker, which is not made for this.

Are you going to smoke the little ******?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
Are you going to smoke the little ******?

Better. Feed him to the cats.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I tried something new last weekend. I used Ruhlman's pickling recipe to make some home made fresh veggie pickles. Been soaking them in my wine cellar, as that's the proper temp (under 75 to stop formation of bad bacteria). They taste fantastic.

IMG_0882.jpg

For part of dinner tonight, I will be crisping up these babies:

IMG_0883.jpg

Some of the pork belly confit from a few weeks ago.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks man. Taste is incredible.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just put a couple of briskets in the smoker. I'll let it run all night.

IMG_0893.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As usual I'm late to the party.

But in the Harrods thread I just posted something about Venison.

Pio, have you ever eaten or made Venison and pork sausage? It is really good.

I wouldn't attempt to make any myself but I'll damn sure eat all you have.

It's very popular in Texas.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Rnold, I have not made sausage with venison yet. I probably will one day though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here they are after 11 hours in the smoker. I just poured a "finishing sauce" over them of OJ, agave syrup, tomato paste, brown sugar, and water. Wrapped in foil and another hour at 150 degrees.

IMG_0894.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Will be cross posting these. Just defrosted a chubb of my homemade, smoked salami. First shot you can see the pattern of the food saver bag was imprinted on the collagen casing. That casing is non-edible. These turned out nicely smoky, nicely spicy, and the texture of the meat was perfect.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

See how dark the exterior is? That's all from the smoking process
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is only sort of a sausage. It is a pigs foot stuffed with rillettes and foie gras, then wrapped in caul fat and braised in veal and pork stock.
boudinh.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads