• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mrtef3

Reaction score
Good evening, gents. Tom from Chicago here...long time shadow-dweller, first-time poster. Before I found this forum, I thought I was the **** - painstakingly building my tragically inappropriate wardrobe using eBay and Craig's List, while harboring fantastical thoughts of winning Esquire's "Best-Dressed Real Man" contest...next year.

Then I found this forum and got my reality check...I actually spent four hours here the first night, and then another four hours tearing things off hangers in my closet, with the intensity and frustration of Jerry Lundegaard scraping the ice off his impassive windshield in Fargo.

Dialogue:
My Wife: "Why are you crying?"
Me: "I've been wearing button-down collars with my suits and ties for years. 'sniff."

I digress. Here's my question. How do you guys feel about replacing the buttons on high-line, orphaned suit jackets (in solids, tweeds, or other non-pinstripe patterns) with blazer buttons (like you'd get at Ben Silver), in order to make them work solo? Is that a possibility? Anyone ever done it with acceptable results?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Question about a suit fabric

I'm looking for a kind of fabric that was big in the 80s for suits... it was almost always light gray, it had a sheen, somewhat big threads and was a bit knotty. Any idea what this is called? I can't find any examples online.

That description fits dupioni silk.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrtef3
I digress. Here's my question. How do you guys feel about replacing the buttons on high-line, orphaned suit jackets (in solids, tweeds, or other non-pinstripe patterns) with blazer buttons (like you'd get at Ben Silver), in order to make them work solo? Is that a possibility? Anyone ever done it with acceptable results?
The farther from a traditional suiting fabric, the better it will work. In other words, something like a herringbone shadowstripe that is clearly a suiting fabric will still look like an orphaned suit coat regardless of the buttons you put on it. The jacket of a tweed suit, if you own such a thing, is much more likely to work as an odd jacket without looking like an orphan.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden question for tasseled loafer owners.

I wear 9.5D in plaza last, and I just purchased a pair of tasseled loafers (on Aberdeen) in 9C. They are a bit snug, but any bigger (9.5C, 9D) and my heel is almost coming out of the shoe. Is this normal to have such a dramatic size-down in loafers?

Thanks

dropout5

Reaction score
not sure it is normal for such dramatic size-downs, but i bought a pair of alden tasseled loafers about a month ago and they too felt a bit snug at first, but after several wearings i am finding they have opened up / softened up nicely.

Yup

Reaction score
Are these pants too long? I think I can go half to a full inch off which would make no break, but I got people telling me it's fine as is. I'm likely going to hem them anyways since I'll be the ones wearing them and I wanna make myself happy, but I'd also like your opinion. These are suit pants.

12572o5.jpg

20auiwp.jpg

Dexter_

Reaction score
^ I think by SF MC standards they have too much break for that type of pants. Then again, I'm new here so what do I know.
blush.gif

Telix

Reaction score
Is there a thread dedicated to tweaking MTM clothing? I don't want to start a new thread about my first Jantzen shirt if there is a thread already about MTM shirts or something.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telix
Is there a thread dedicated to tweaking MTM clothing? I don't want to start a new thread about my first Jantzen shirt if there is a thread already about MTM shirts or something.
I wish. I have proposed a pinned "critique my fit" thread to the mods but no go. Just start a new thread and it'll sink to the bottom when you're done.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do Ralph Lauren B&M stores do exchanges (different size) without receipt?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yup
Are these pants too long? I think I can go half to a full inch off which would make no break, but I got people telling me it's fine as is. I'm likely going to hem them anyways since I'll be the ones wearing them and I wanna make myself happy, but I'd also like your opinion. These are suit pants.

12572o5.jpg

20auiwp.jpg

It's hard to tell from the angle of these photos. Could you stand on something, a carpeted toilet seat perhaps?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between RL Darlton and Marlow? I often see threads with the shoe listed as "Darlton/Marlow" rather than one or the other.

- Keith

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That description fits dupioni silk.
Thank you, forum Jesus

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I wear a black or brown belt with #8 cordovan shoes? Or will a belt only work with them if it's a similar burgundy-ish type color?

josh1233

Reaction score
I have some items that my wife bought for me from C. Tyrwhitt that I was going to return, but am thinking about maybe exchanging for their "Conker Brown Calf Leather Oxford Semi-Brogue Shoes" which if my detective work is correct are a pair of Loake Oban's.

My question is, do the Loake sizes run true? I've seen mixed opinions on here as to their sizes. I'm a US size 9 for several pairs of (don't bash) Cole Haan's I got about 10 years ago. Should a UK 8.5 work, or do these lasts run large?

thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics