• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

josh1233

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RAM1988
not the best picture.. but any idea what tie this is? trump's son was wearin it on celebrity apprentice, which I never watch but caught a glimpse of it..

I'm just getting the red X, but did you look at Trump's line of ties. It might be one of those.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kingchinc
Any suggestions for designers who carry piped blazers?
high end or low end? H&M did one just last season (grey with black piping). I think guys like Dior, D&G, etc do this every once in a while. Otherwise there's always MTM+options...
Originally Posted by josh1233
2 quick questions. First, I'm looking at getting a new tux and accessories. Is barathea and grosgrain the same thing? I want the lapels on the dinner jacket and vest to match the tie and have seen both of these in descriptions, as well as the standard satin silk.
Second question, is it normal to wait 12+ weeks for a shirt from mytailor.com? I ordered my first shirt from them in Jan. and have yet to hear anything on it. Is it worth bothering to contact them about it, or just be patient?

1. Check out www.blacktieguide.com/
2. Um, I've never ordered from them but that seems excessive. I'd suggest contacting them, what's the worst that'll happen, they'll say it's on the way? At least you'll know where you stand.

Bubuchnik

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering what colour blazer would go with a blue shirt and beige chinos? Navy if i'm not mistaken?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bubuchnik
Hey guys,

Was wondering what colour blazer would go with a blue shirt and beige chinos? Navy if i'm not mistaken?

Yes, although the lighter the blue of the shirt, the better it will go with a navy blazer.

Dexter_

Reaction score
If I'm a 9.5C on the brannock, would I be a 8.5 E in the C&J 348 last (lowndes)?

kanukki

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm pretty new here and trying to put together something for my brother's wedding in Hawaii this September. Dress is 'informal but stylish'. I was thinking of putting together a light grey stripe blazer, similar to the one below (bit thinner stripes on mine), with a pair of khakis and a white linen shirt. My #2 reason for going to Hawaii is to pick up a pair of Alden shell #8 NSTs.

yh304zka4f.jpg

Question: Is the burgundy shell too dark for such a light blazer and chinos? I know I'd probably be better off with sand or brown suede, but I live on the Arctic Circle, so the wedding would probably be the only time I could really wear suede shoes.

Any other suggestions for shoes that would work with this combo? (feel free to critique the outfit while we're at it
smile.gif
).

dksmc

Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have a question about the different stamps used on shoes:

Sole Stamp - Seems obvious, the stamp design on the sole of some shoes.
Heel Stamp - Also seems obvious, the stamp design on the heel of some shoes.
Sock Stamp - The design on the insole????
Stock Stamp - The numbering on the lining????

So basically, can you explain these for me. Thanks a tonne in advance!

Dave.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone who actually knows help me answer this question: No speculation, no guesses pls.

What is the exact pronounciation for "Jermyn" in "Jermyn Street?"

From what Ive heard is it pronouned almost liek "German"

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Can someone who actually knows help me answer this question: No speculation, no guesses pls.

What is the exact pronounciation for "Jermyn" in "Jermyn Street?"

From what Ive heard is it pronouned almost liek "German"

Yes, just replace the schwa in 'man' by an i (like in pin).

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Yes, just replace the schwa in 'man' by an i (like in pin).

sweet, thanks. while we're at it:

"savile" in "savile row" is pronounced?

Yeah i know. n00b

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Okay here is a quick question that is totally unrelated to style or fashion: does anybody own or have experience with the canon g11 powershot camera? How does it handle? How is the quality of the picture taken with the canon g11?

I have been meaning to get a new 'affordable' portable/compact camera that can deliver quality pictures like a professional camera.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
sweet, thanks. while we're at it:

"savile" in "savile row" is pronounced?

Yeah i know. n00b

It starts the same as savage and ends in either (schwa-)l or -il. Hope that makes sense.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about a suit fabric

I'm looking for a kind of fabric that was big in the 80s for suits... it was almost always light gray, it had a sheen, somewhat big threads and was a bit knotty. Any idea what this is called? I can't find any examples online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads