• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Baseball Season Boys

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
frown.gif

Don't be sad, Ed. I was just pointing out a good burn when I saw it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wait, there's college baseball? and i thought HS prospects just went straight to the MLB draft. you learn something new every day
tongue.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
The ACC is ridiculously good this year.

No doubt. Even with UNC in the toilet (and FSU's recent slide), the rest of the teams are strong.

Gawd, I hate all the polls. Almost as bad as boxing. Anyway, here is Baseball America's Poll. ACC is top heavy, but still strong. Five of the top twenty, three of the top six.

Have to admit though, the SEC is almost as good this year.

1 Arizona St. 31-3 25 3
2 Virginia 29-9 24 2
3 Texas 30-7 23 4
4 Georgia Tech 31-5 22 5
5 UCLA 27-5 21 1
6 Florida St. 28-9 20 6
7 Florida 25-10 19 7
8 LSU 30-6 18 8
9 Arkansas 31-6 17 9
10 South Carolina 28-8 16 10

11 TCU 27-7 15 11
12 Coastal Caro. 32-5 14 12
13 Louisville 29-6 13 13
14 Miami (Fla.) 27-9 12 15
15 California 22-11 11 21
16 Cal St. Fullerton 20-13 10 22
17 Arizona 26-9 9 24
18 Oregon 23-12 8 NR
19 Mississippi 24-13 7 14
20 Virginia Tech 25-13 6 20
21 Connecticut 27-7 5 25
22 Stanford 18-13 4 NR
23 Vanderbilt 29-9 3 NR
24 Oklahoma 26-10 2 16
25 Southeastern La. 29-9 1 NR

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
And FSU will probably take the top spot this week. I know we'll flame out before we even get to the CWS, as we always do, but it'll be a fun road there.

We were a top five team a week ago. We needed to win one game (out of three) at Clemson to lock up the Atlantic title. Hosting a superregional was a possibility, things looked great, I was contemplating taking off work to go to the games. I was almost optimistic about our postseason chances. It was sort of counterintuitive genius - we weren't supposed to be very good this season, so maybe we would exceed expectations and advance far (as opposed to our usual talent-laden teams flaming out early in the postseason)?

Clemson swept our sorry asses. Then we lost last night in the first game of the ACC Tournament to hated Miami.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More so in baseball than any other sport can a top College player be a complete zero in the pros.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We were a top five team a week ago. We needed to win one game (out of three) at Clemson to lock up the Atlantic title. Hosting a superregional was a possibility, things looked great, I was contemplating taking off work to go to the games. I was almost optimistic about our postseason chances. It was sort of counterintuitive genius - we weren't supposed to be very good this season, so maybe we would exceed expectations and advance far (as opposed to our usual talent-laden teams flaming out early in the postseason)?

Clemson swept our sorry asses. Then we lost last night in the first game of the ACC Tournament to hated Miami.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif

Game was bullshit.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
More so in baseball than any other sport can a top College player be a complete zero in the pros.

A friend and I have had a debate that sort of relates to this. He insists that the minor leagues provide better quality ball because the best prospects forgo college for the minors. I used to disagree, but I've started to reconsider to his way of thinking. I don't know if his logic holds true for A ball, but I think once you get up to AAA the quality is probably significantly better in the minors. I would also think there'd be more disparity between college teams than minor league teams. LSU might be able to compete with a good minor league team, but a crappy college team probably couldn't get close.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
A friend and I have had a debate that sort of relates to this. He insists that the minor leagues provide better quality ball because the best prospects forgo college for the minors. I used to disagree, but I've started to reconsider to his way of thinking. I don't know if his logic holds true for A ball, but I think once you get up to AAA the quality is probably significantly better in the minors. I would also think there'd be more disparity between college teams than minor league teams. LSU might be able to compete with a good minor league team, but a crappy college team probably couldn't get close.

AAA stats are so deceiving though, you've got guys who are 4A guys + guys who may be on rehab assignments + guys who would be playing in the Majors but their position is blocked. AA ball seems to me the place where the talent is best evaluated.

limester816

Reaction score
whooo how about BC beating Miami in the 12th? Too bad FSU has to beat UVA in order for us to advance...

ACC is RIDICULOUS.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
whooo how about BC beating Miami in the 12th? Too bad FSU has to beat UVA in order for us to advance...

ACC is RIDICULOUS.

W.T.F. We get swept by Clemson and beat top-ranked UVA. Granted, UVA didn't seem to be pulling out all the stops, but still, very surprised by my Noles.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FSU wins the ACC Championship with a scary 8th inning.

Attempting to score on a sacrifice fly with two outs in the eighth inning, Seminoles right fielder James Ramsey plowed violently through Wolfpack catcher Chris Schaeffer on his way to the plate, putting the Seminoles up 6-3 and extending the four-run breakout inning that sealed their win.

Schaeffer lay motionless in the dirt for at least a half hour after the collision while surrounded by trainers and paramedics, who immobilized his head, placed him on a back board and loaded him into an ambulance while the crowd of 6,274 stood silently.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Holy ****. Going to Omaha?!!!?? WTF? This is probably our least-talented team in at least a decade. Unreal. Sherman Johnson should never have to buy a beer in Tallahassee for the rest of his life.

Thinking about going, but airfare is $700. Are you kidding me?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy ****. Going to Omaha?!!!?? WTF? This is probably our least-talented team in at least a decade. Unreal. Sherman Johnson should never have to buy a beer in Tallahassee for the rest of his life.

Thinking about going, but airfare is $700. Are you kidding me?

Of all the super regionals, FSU's was probably the worst.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads