• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suits under $500?

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Looking for a new suit, have a budget about $500 or so, any suggestions for the best suit I can get $500 or less? Im thinking JCrew, Zara, Club Monaco? Additional suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Club Monaco has the absolute worst suits I've ever seen. I've actually seen some blogs tout them b/c of its fit and working button holes, which are marsupialed on OTR suits, but the fabric feels like absolute crap. It's borderline wool at best and feels like sand paper.

I second the JCrew out of those choices.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a Caruso suit from ehaberdasher for 600-650 USD

factorial

Reaction score
Assuming you want to buy from a bricks-and-mortar store where you can try it on, but can wait for a sale, the Brooks Brothers 1818 line can be had on sale for about $500 (or 2 for $1000) and are some of the better suits you'll be able to get for that price.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely want to try it on, so buying from B&M is what I'm looking for. I would love to grab a Brooks Brothers suit for that price. Considering heading to a Brooks Brothers outlet store, anyone know if it is worth the trip?!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely want to try it on, so buying from B&M is what I'm looking for. I would love to grab a Brooks Brothers suit for that price. Considering heading to a Brooks Brothers outlet store, anyone know if it is worth the trip?!

Will probably be full of that 346 nonsense. I'd take a Ludlow over a Brooks 346 any day.

factorial

Reaction score
Depends which outlet probably, as they tend to vary in the quality of items they stock. Note that most of the outlets carry primarily the "346" line which is made specifically for the outlets and not as high quality as the "1818" line. According to this thread there's a 30% off sale upcoming -- if true and they keep the same promotion going, it would bring the price of the 1818 suits down to 2 for $1049.30 (from 2 for $1499). Of course this doesn't help that much if you're not wanting to buy 2.

costadelmar16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
How about a Caruso suit from ehaberdasher for 600-650 USD

Can someone elaborate more on this Caruso. Will it be a similar cut to the one they make for RLBL?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Club Monaco has the absolute worst suits I've ever seen. I've actually seen some blogs tout them b/c of its fit and working button holes, which are marsupialed on OTR suits, but the fabric feels like absolute crap. It's borderline wool at best and feels like sand paper.

I second the JCrew out of those choices.

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. you are an absolute moron.

now see how that feels? it doesnt make sense for me to use absolute statements to use to describe you when i just feel merely you are a bit in the wrong?

club monaco is not the best but it is in the same ballpark with jcrew. their fabrics feel decent and doesnt feel like crap or at best sandpaper or they won't be selling it at their store.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. you are an absolute moron.

now see how that feels? it doesnt make sense for me to use absolute statements to use to describe you when i just feel merely you are a bit in the wrong?

club monaco is not the best but it is in the same ballpark with jcrew. their fabrics feel decent and doesnt feel like crap or at best sandpaper or they won't be selling it at their store.

laugh.gif
at your statement on CM just to prove your little point about my language. Go to a CM and feel their suit. I was astonished to find that it was even 100% wool and not some wool/cotton blend.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew Ludlow suits are nice, but you are locking in a not very conservative aesthetic with the slim lapels. So also depends on what you need the suit for. For instance, I would not wear a Ludlow to a job interview. But if you are comparing to Zara et al, then maybe you aren't trying to be conservative.

If you have an off-brand closeout place near you (like a Filene's or a Syms) and you need a more conservative suit, you can often get a quite nice Hickey Freeman that usually retails for around $1500 for around $500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics