• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Jacket - MTM jacket pics added

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great jacket,I like it a lot. I'd have that made in leather. Where is TOJ,is it in US?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
That's a great jacket,I like it a lot. I'd have that made in leather. Where is TOJ,is it in US?

Korea

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
That's a great jacket,I like it a lot. I'd have that made in leather.

They have previously made this in FQHH

4r2rtj.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aj, I'm looking forward to you getting your jacket more than you are possibly, since it is the first jacket of its kind and this is also my first time delving into the MC-side of things...
redface.gif
The story behind aj's jacket was that we make a similar style (we have 3 or 4 different leather jacket styles, and we can modify them) in our Bomber, which is particularly adaptable as a base pattern. It's styled after an A2-style jacket but a lot slimmer, with our own detailing choices. We are geared toward the tastes of people in SW+D and so I set out to make a modernized Bomber that wouldn't look so modernized that it'd have a shelf life - I want my stuff to be cool looking but have stylistic longevity. Anyhow, aj's jacket was just a small group of detail changes to the base pattern and so it was an easy make. I am not really interested in making copies of things or matching things stitch for stitch, I like to take a little creative license and do my take on things, to exercise the potential of a material and my craftspeople - this suede jacket for AJ really brought out the best and I think that he's gonna be pleased when he opens that package. TOJ is this, in a nutshell: There are 3 of us working on this TOJ project; myself, dizzhizz, and mrchariybrown, who have all been members for some time now as well. We are all from America and have found ourselves here in Korea for various reasons, and here is where I started TOJ on my own by chance, so we make Korea our home base. I asked the other two to help me bring TOJ along and we've gone from zero to 60 here in a really short amount of time, we're making a lot of stuff. In the future, other projects will be made in various countries and I may even move the whole shebang somewhere else, I am not sure. I have plans to make our own line of denim in Okayama, Japan, soon, for example, and I am interested in making some sneakers in Italy eventually. We have a lot of projects under consideration. About a year ago I found myself with a lot of time, not a lot to do, and woke up one day and decided to make clothes - yes, this sounds like a DT-worthy story - but I persevered and learned all that I needed to, to make clothes. Luckily, where I live is a mecca for clothesmaking, virtually everything is available to me materials and services-wise, and I was able to break into it all and learn a lot on my own. I also learned a lot about leathers in the process and now kind of unofficially specialize in leather products (although we make much more)... and I taught myself to cut patterns on my own, which was a big thing. All of the original TOJ jackets were pattern-cut by me, on my kitchen table, one jacket at a time. All of the jackets now are based on my original patterns, which have some nuances that make them my own. It took a lot of time and work but I think that our cuts are unique and forward. I like clothes, have been on these fashion fora for awhile, and I set out to create clothing in modern fits and designs, with incredible materials and quality workmanship, at realistic prices. So far I think we've been very successful at this mission. We basically make all of our clothes to order - that means there are sometimes some longer lead times involved - and it means that since each piece is constructed one by one, we are able to offer people a ton of choices in material, details, and measurements. I like to think that we're about halfway to being full-on bespoke clothing, because we offer more options than typical MTM clothes - patterning is adjustable in more ways and we can discuss different design details. We make a lot more than just jackets, I am slowly rolling out some tailored wear, and my casual shirts are coming up very hard recently. Those are made in our in-house design, which is a slim but not skinny-fitting casual shirt that lends itself to OCBDs as well as other cotton twills, with a small collar, a huge array of fabric choices. They come with thick 3mm+ MOP buttons, and apart from our stock sizing, are also available with MTM customization options for a small surcharge. We also do dress shirts, but we're doing those in our own in-house style as well. Everything has it's own stock in-house design that I've made, that I prefer people to keep with, but minor adjustments and detail changes are possible. The MC side is probably unfamiliar with what we do in general, as our thread is over in SW+D, but we have a fan-made gallery, you can see our work here: http://toj.pixi.me/main.php We make our leather jackets from hand selected hides, we usually wake up and go to the leather markets almost every day or so and pick out the stuff we use, and then we take swatches of the leathers for the different projects and match the rib trims, get zipper tapings custom dyed to match, and spec out each project. I have been using alot of this really thick NZ and French lambskin for a lot of my jackets, washed and unwashed, because it's about the nicest leather I've ever seen for a jacket, at any price. We also have thick calfskin, lamb suede, buffalo leather, front quarter horsehide, pigskin, and we have made a goatskin jacket, but goat is not regularly available. Fok (LA Guy) has one of our FQHH jackets, Brian_SD has a NZ lamb jacket, and many others on the forum have the calf and the lamb leathers. The leathers are all top-notch quality, the best I can get my hands on, and we use YKK metal zippers from Japan. If I'm recommending it, I'm pushing it because it's strong and we're proud of it. That Bomber above (which I made back in August of last year, relatively early in my progress):
toj2-2.jpg
Here is the same exact jacket, which I sold to a member on here:
4509290090_279b068f3c.jpg
It's a huge story, but you can always visit our unofficial site to see what we're currently making: http://graphr.net/toj You can also email us at: [email protected]

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great bit of info there imployt_one and wish you every bit of success. It's great that things are taking off for something you have a real passion for.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^cool story.

Good luck with this endeavor. Jacket looks great.

You are giving people a much less expensive alternative with the ability to customize. That's a great thing.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
thanks guys. I think we do a good job and keep people happy enough to keep coming back to us, and we're a little entity that has been growing before everyone's eyes on the forums this past year, so it has been fun and an enjoyable experience. We're always making clothes but every day is different.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bomber jacket arrived today and here are some rather crappy pictures. My wife was not at home and it's not easy to take pictures of oneself with a heavy DSLR. In the first 2 pictures it seems as if the jacket is tight at the waist but it is not so in real life. I think it looks like that because of the ribbing at the bottom. The jacket is very comfortable in all areas. The suede is really nice and as soft as butter.
COmp3.jpg
COmp4.jpg
COmp5.jpg
COmp6.jpg

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks really nice AJ – the guys at ToJ have done a top job.

Lusitano

Reaction score
inlove.gif
wow, that is areally nice jacket.

Do you mind asking how much you paid?

MikkoN

Reaction score
Looks very nice. Lovely colour!
Could certainly use one myself.

Biggen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikkoN
Looks very nice. Lovely colour!
Could certainly use one myself.

Yeah, damn you aj_del
smile.gif
Might have to order one myself now after seeing how nice it turned out

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lusitano
inlove.gif
wow, that is areally nice jacket.

Do you mind asking how much you paid?

550 USd including shipping to India by EMS

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks great. I'll put up some pics of my zip goat bomber soon in case people are interested in that style as well. ToJ makes amazing leather jackets. I'm surprised more MC guys haven't jumped and bought a jacket yet. Leather quality is top notch and the bombers especially are very well made. That's not to say that the other styles aren't.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice the collar of the jacket is not completely fabric but has suede tipping in the front.

Was this your choice or something that just could not be done by TOJ?

The suede makes the collar more "substantial" and stiff and therefore does not have that soft roll.

Can you do some pictures of the inside, buttons...etc. (detail shots)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads