• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cad and the Dandy real reviews

AxlJack

Reaction score
Hey 0b5cur1ty

It would be great if you could post some pics of the Suit supply results (i knw its Amsterdam but something frm suit supply to gauge them)

Would def like to see how it looks as an end product on a person

Thanks

catbert

Reaction score
I have pants made by C&D. The reason that I ordered pants only was that this whole concept was new for me and I wanted to give it a try not wasting lots of money.
All in all, the quality was very good and I liked the cut very much. The fit was terrible and I don't wear them right now, as somehow they tend to split me apart whenever I'm trying to sit
laugh.gif
and I've already unsuccessfully tried twice to fix it. Third time is not a question because this way the price of the pants is... well I can buy a summer cotton suit for that
ffffuuuu.gif

I did all the measurements myself with the help of my wife and as I live very far from UK, I wasn't able to come for the fitting.

So, my advice would be to get measured by C&D and be able to come for the fitting. Because, otherwise you can end up with some very beautiful but absolutely unwearable outfit.

p.s. and the packaging were terrible! They just put my pants in a postal envelope interlayed with packaging paper. I was expecting something more.... after all packaging is also a part of the shopping experience

p.p.s. still, if I ever come to London I may get my self measured in C&D - I still like how my pants look like at the hanger

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AxlJack
ya i did look at suit supply its just that frm the lack of reviews on their stuff (wth pics) decided against them

I think some ppl posted their comments on it and it ranged frm terrible to decent haha.... obviously without any pics I cant really gauge whether their suits were good or not

did u ever buy MTM frm them or knw nyone who did?

AxlJack,

I personally haven't bought MTM from Suit Supply, so I can't comment per se. My criteria is quite simple: Price / value ratio. I understand value is a subjective measure, but I'll share my personal thoughts on this.

For a MTM offering, the price point offered by Suit Supply seems more appealing than Cad and the Dandy (CATD). Sure, you are always going to get mixed reviews on finished garments from both Suit Supply or CATD, or any other tailor for that matter, which is why I am excluding that factor from the assessment here, because the inherent risk is always there.

If you choose to go with CATD's bespoke offering (whatever 'bespoke' even truly means these days!), I understand you are looking at a slightly higher price point. And if you are prepared to pay those kind of prices, it would seem more sensible to go to one of the many city tailors that have been recommended time and again on these forums, with generally positive results. In addition to that, you would be pleased to know that those garments are being made locally in England and not overseas, thereby reducing a further element of risk.

All this is to say that if you were somebody like me who wants to focus on the price / value ratio (in the manner I have approached it as above), I wouldn't consider CATD. This is by no means a dig at CATD or their product offerings (which I am sure has its fair share of supporters), but it's not something for me, and if you are similar to me in your approach, then I suspect you would find it better value to go elsewhere as well.

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catbert
I have pants made by C&D. The reason that I ordered pants only was that this whole concept was new for me and I wanted to give it a try not wasting lots of money.
All in all, the quality was very good and I liked the cut very much. The fit was terrible and I don't wear them right now, as somehow they tend to split me apart whenever I'm trying to sit
laugh.gif
and I've already unsuccessfully tried twice to fix it. Third time is not a question because this way the price of the pants is... well I can buy a summer cotton suit for that
ffffuuuu.gif

I did all the measurements myself with the help of my wife and as I live very far from UK, I wasn't able to come for the fitting.

So, my advice would be to get measured by C&D and be able to come for the fitting. Because, otherwise you can end up with some very beautiful but absolutely unwearable outfit.

p.s. and the packaging were terrible! They just put my pants in a postal envelope interlayed with packaging paper. I was expecting something more.... after all packaging is also a part of the shopping experience

p.p.s. still, if I ever come to London I may get my self measured in C&D - I still like how my pants look like at the hanger

Oddly, I pretty much had the same experience, except I order a full suit and the jacket fits very nicely now, after some alterations (I supplied a too-wide shoulder measurement initially).

However, the pants were totally unwearable before C&D altered them, and wearable-in-theory-but-not-comfortable after. I supplied some comfortable sample pants as a reference for the alterations, too. And my measurements were accurate. I guess they have a problem with pants?

- Mike

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I also got a couple of pairs of trousers made by C&D (measured by C&D in their offices).

I have problem finding well-fitting trousers due to my build (small waist, pronounced seat, large thighs, short legs) - and was hoping that C&D would prove a cost-effective solution for casual trousers.

Like many other posters, however, I have not worn the trousers they made for me since I took delivery of them. They came back somewhat large in the waist and in the thigh, but even when this was altered they just didn't work for me. Frankly the cut was just very unflattering.

Oh well, suppose I will just have to stick with Ambrosi and Steed...

Sleats

Reaction score
To explain our process and pricing a little. We took over a workshop 12 months ago that was set up by a Savile Row tailoring company producing for them and quite a few others on and off the Row (for their bespoke). We cant command the same price as an age old name but our business model is more reliant on volume than high margin. So rather than using the capacity for others we use it only for ourselves.

Our bespoke starts at £650 and roughly rise in £50 increments according to cloth selected.

We make around 150 suits a month and producing that in the UK unfortunately isn't hugely feasible not necessarily from a cost point of view but more from a labour point of view, we currently produce around 25% in the UK but if the ash continues I can see it being a lot more!!
smile.gif

AxlJack

Reaction score
Hey the_sartorialist

Thanks for that reply

I def agree wth u on the price/quality but in fairness I want to see a full product on a person until I can actually judge quality in terms of fit and tailoring

So suit supply fans ...... post ur stuf here!!!!!

A fair chance to them as well

AxlJack

Reaction score
Hey R.O. Thornhill, mjc and catbert

thanks for your comments on the trousers

It looks like none of you are satisfied wth your product in terms of trousers;

still just to be fair it would be great if you could post some pics of those ill fitting pants; so that even others who are considering Cad and the Dandy can gauge it

(i knw they dnt fit and u'd prob never wear em; but still in the spirit of the internet....pls

you could wear some flashy shoes maybe to take our eyes off it!!!! hahahaha)

elgreco

Reaction score
What about sport coats? I'd like to see some of the final products, just in case I put in a an order for for a d/b sportcoat (since that was what was in my unreceived order from Aver...)

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Hey R.O. Thornhill, mjc and catbert

thanks for your comments on the trousers

It looks like none of you are satisfied wth your product in terms of trousers;

Axljack, given that you already know of 3 individuals upfront who have not been satisfied with their garments, and as much as you would like to be as objective about it as possible, I'm not quite sure why you are still considering to shoulder a perceived level of increased risk by looking at CATD?
puzzled.gif

Wouldn't it be more feasible to consider other tailors where other users have reported more positive results (lack of pictures notwithstanding)? Just saying...

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey 0b5cur1ty

It would be great if you could post some pics of the Suit supply results (i knw its Amsterdam but something frm suit supply to gauge them)

Would def like to see how it looks as an end product on a person

Thanks

Here you go:

DSC01082.jpg
DSC01083.jpg

DSC01128.jpg
DSC01127.jpg

DSC01196.jpg
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01179.jpg
DSC01180.jpg

All MTM, the last one being quarter-lined with a natural shoulder (the others have more structure).

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sleats
Sorry to but in on the thread but just wanted to add a point or two.

Bunches/ranges we carry cloth wise include: Scabal, Dormeuil, H&S, Dugdales, Harrisons, Johnstons, Yorkshire textile company (ex head dormeuil designer) Loro piana etc and we will source any cloth any customer requires. For those who have seen our city shop perhaps can tell space is limited so we dont have every bunch in everyones ranges for reasons of storage although we do in SR..In the city we stick with the most popular bunches in each

John who does all of our bespoke is in our shop in the city two days a week and three days a week in the shop in Savile Row. He does indeed see our customers and does the baste & forward fittings, measuring and consultations.

All suits irrelevant of the make up of them, all start by drafting a paper pattern rather than manipulating a M2M pattern or chalking directly onto the cloth. This we then obviously store for future orders... (We also create patterns for all of our shirts)

Regarding our location on Savile Row, we share a shop with Chittleborough and Morgan which is No 12 Lower ground floor (beneath Scabal)

and final point....the website - yes indeed... we will be revamping and inserting more images especially of the suits as soon as possible. We are a small company and have grown hugely in the past 12 months where by concentrating on customers has been our focus and fulfilling orders thereof. The process has begun to revamp and make the site more image and content full.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone has on what they would like to be added or see I am available on my email [email protected]

and apologies, not trying to hijack the thread - as you were
smile.gif

Awesome. Thanks for that, James
smile.gif

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Here you go:

All MTM, the last one being quarter-lined with a natural shoulder (the others have more structure).

Nice pics, 0b5cur1ty. I think Suit Supply did a pretty good job with the natural shoulder. Did you have to pay extra for the buggy lining? Any chance you could post some pics of the buggy-lined jacket interior? And I wonder whether Suit Supply in London will offer the buggy lining option as well - didn't think they would have!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Here you go:

DSC01082.jpg
DSC01083.jpg

DSC01128.jpg
DSC01127.jpg

DSC01196.jpg
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01179.jpg
DSC01180.jpg

Way too high a button stance IMO.

catbert

Reaction score
Sorry, not able to make a picture right now, but again it was not about the looks but rather about the fit
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads