• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. those are the kinds of things I buy dirt cheap in chinatown

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'll take a gander down, any particular streets you suggest wandering?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'll take a gander down, any particular streets you suggest wandering?
You'll have to ask a local... I can tell you where to go in chicago c-town. My guess would be to start on canal and head south right in the middle on Mott or Elizabeth

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do they cook everything in La Cucina with extra virgin olive oil? They even use it to fry.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Why do they cook everything in La Cucina with extra virgin olive oil? They even us it to fry.

That's generally how it's done in Italy.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's generally how it's done in Italy.

I've fried things in EV olive oil, I didn't like it much.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK... here's a random food question...

what's the difference between an "oil poach" and a "fry" or "Sautee"

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Oil poaching means the object is completely submerged in fat and cooked at a lower temp (usually 160-180F)
Fry can be shallow fried, with the object sticking out of the oil, or deep fried, with the object entirely submerged, but denotes a much higher temperature.
Sauteeing is a small amount of fat at a relatively high temperature and the food is agitated often.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. I knew the difference between a fry and a sautee... but I was not clear on the oil poach. My understanding of the word poach was that it is roughly synonymous with "boil"... and boiling in oil is deep frying.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Thanks.. I knew the difference between a fry and a sautee... but I was not clear on the oil poach. My understanding of the word poach was that it is roughly synonymous with "boil"... and boiling in oil is deep frying.
Well, poach just means to cook in hot water. You really shouldn't be boiling meats... ever. Remember, also, that poaching in oil at the same temp as water, say 180, will take longer than in water since oil is less dense and doesn't conduct heat as well.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, poach just means to cook in hot water. You really shouldn't be boiling meats... ever. Remember, also, that poaching in oil at the same temp as water, say 180, will take longer than in water since oil is less dense and doesn't conduct heat as well.
That's good advice... I always poach my eggs in boiling water... they come out okay, but maybe they would be better if I went down to a simmer. Meanwhile, I thought a stock or soup could be boiled... vs. an actual meat like a brisket or rabbit that you would braise - or is this technically another term that depends heavily on level of submersion rather than temperature?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
That's good advice... I always poach my eggs in boiling water... they come out okay, but maybe they would be better if I went down to a simmer.

we do ours in a low simmer and they come out superb. Also, we boil the eggs in shell for 30 seconds, shock, and then crack into the water.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's good advice... I always poach my eggs in boiling water... they come out okay, but maybe they would be better if I went down to a simmer. Meanwhile, I thought a stock or soup could be boiled... vs. an actual meat like a brisket or rabbit that you would braise - or is this technically another term that depends heavily on level of submersion rather than temperature?
Boiled stock will be less clear than simmered, but I cook stock in a pressure cooker because the flavor and gelatin extraction is about a thousand times better. It clouds a little, but not too much. Basically, meat is protein, and protein molecules react certain ways at certain temperatures. When you are braising, what you are trying to do is to convert collagen into gelatin, which softens the meat, but as the internal temperature gets higher, the meat proteins squeeze out more liquid. On the other hand, collagen turns into gelatin faster at a higher temp. That is why people have cooked things like 7-hour lamb, or cooked slowly in the fireplace for days. It gives the time for collagen transformation, but without massive drying like in a boiling liquid. It is also the theory behind sous-vide... if you cook at 140 for 2 days, you convert all of the collagen to gelatin, but the meat doesn't gray and dry out. So, all things equal, braise at the lowest temp possible, but realize that it will take longer. A 200 degree oven is great, because the meat probably will never get over 160 with air being such a poor conductor of heat. Poaching is similar. You don't boil sausages because they get grainy. You put them in hot water for a longer time. The same problem arises when you add water to a sausage pan, as discussed earlier in the thread. Temp of the meat gets too high, and texture is compromised. Fish and meat are the same. Of course, this is just my opinion, at least some of it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Remember, also, that poaching in oil at the same temp as water, say 180, will take longer than in water since oil is less dense and doesn't conduct heat as well.

Thermodynamics are a bit off here...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Thermodynamics are a bit off here...

How so? Unless the oil circulates to allow a maximum temperature difference between the food and the oil, transmission of energy from the heat source to the food being cooked can be slowed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads