• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should You Marry Someone Your Age or Someone Much Younger?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Proving without using ANY cultural references. That way we'll know it's objective and not a matter of past mores and social conditioning. Good luck.

Men can stay sexually virile and potent well past 50. Women undergo a complex chemical change as their reproductive system shuts down, in their late 40s. Men do not gain full musculature until their late 30s/early 40s. Peak fast twitch/neural synaptic response, of course, occurs earlier, but brute strength peaks around 40 or so. Women hit prime fecundity around 18-22.

Absent any cultural references, pure biology, men maintain their "maleness" longer than women maintain their "femaleness." I think the ever present biological drive to reproduce, couple with the above, account for much of the references of so many cultures.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Did you read what I wrote, it wasn't directly addressed to you anyway but just an explanation about how conditions are changing. BTW your ridiculous STFUI caps thing is getting old, it's not my fault I always hand your ass over to you in these sorts of debates. The fact that you used the word "standard accepted norm" pretty much explained my point about it being cultural.
Go read any article. Even lame common ones will explain that men have a greater want for visual stimuli. You're starting to disappoint me, boy.
plain.gif
STFUI Do you need help using google search?
plain.gif
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I think I know what STFU stands for but what does the 'I" stand for?
The "I" is for idiot. Use STFUI whenever it's a lost cause for the other end to keep going on but they just don't get it. Enjoy.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh, this reminded me of a guy at the golfcourse I had a chat with, he said he kept to the law of 20's..
when he was 20 he had a girlfriend who was 20, when he was 30 he married a girl that was 20. When he turned 40 he took a mistress who was twenty and by the time he turned 50 he was divorced and was dating someone in her twenties... And guess what, I met him when he was 63, and he just had imported a new 20 something girl from marocco to be his girlfriend... fun stuff
smile.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Ah Morrocco! Where slaverys colorful past is todays present.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
This is a personal decision, but women age faster than men, and most men date girls 1, maybe 2 years younger than them while in college.

A common approach seems to be, step 1: graduate. Step 2: marry college sweet heart. Step 3: 20 years later, divorce for a younger, more virile spouse model.

After spending a few years at a community college, and working for a few years in the real world to help pay my way through school, I plan on going back soon to (finally) get my BS. I figure one of the advantages to the route I've taken is being able to follow most of what's in the OP (avoiding step 3), while staying close to the (Age/2)+7 formula.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Marry whoever makes you happy, but hopefully people will start taking marriage a bit more seriously again.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to marry a woman either born in my year, or up to 6 years younger than me. When I hit 30, that number will probably stretch to 8 years younger.

FWIW, I think women are generally more mature than men. A 30 year old man = a 23 year old woman with a decent upbringing.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is gold. It makes me smile to think that I haven't matured one bit since my original post in this thread.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should you marry a girl in your social class?
What if you are a low class individual, and she is a high class individual, could it ever work?
Not saying this is my situation - just generalizing
stirpot.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The girl I like is 1.5 years older than me.
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
This thread is gold. It makes me smile to think that I haven't matured one bit since my original post in this thread.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm trying not to use trite putdowns like douche these days but MY GOD YOU ARE SUCH A GODDAMN DOUCHE

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting zombie thread.

Married at age 28 to a woman 5.5 years younger. We divorced after 20 years and 2 kids.

Now, at age 48, dating a woman 8 years younger. Outcome uncertain.

I don't think that I've ever dated a woman more than 1 year older than me in my entire life. They are old enough and wise enough to know better. They would never have anything to do with my sorry ass.

Recently had a conversation with a married female friend who was giving me **** about dating younger women. I guess that she had some older women that she wanted to set me up with and didn't think I'd go for it given my exhibited preferences. She was a bit bitter about the single men my age preferring younger women.

I told her that it was cosmic payback for them preferring the older guys in high school. When it really mattered and we were forming our self-esteem, they rejected us and dated college guys. Paybacks are hell.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the song sang by WC Fields, "I'd rather have two girls of 21 than one of 42...."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads