• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No longer in NYC, but when I was in NYC, I would have gone to Joe's Art of Coffee, they have 1 in union square, 1 in grand central and some place near Penn Station I think.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
using an ascaso grinder and a la pavoni stradivarius for my morning coffee here. At the moment its a colombian bean for me.

Question, do any of notice that you tend to gravitate towards stronger cups over time? A couple of years back it was only cappucino, that became a regular cup of coffee, then espresso's only and by now i've resorted to ristretto's.. With the pavoni its a one pull shot for me, but three pulls from the same grind for guests.. anybody else have this experience?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
mmm. love coffee. had a iced caramel mochiato at starbucks today
smile.gif

juvefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
using an ascaso grinder and a la pavoni stradivarius for my morning coffee here. At the moment its a colombian bean for me.

Question, do any of notice that you tend to gravitate towards stronger cups over time? A couple of years back it was only cappucino, that became a regular cup of coffee, then espresso's only and by now i've resorted to ristretto's.. With the pavoni its a one pull shot for me, but three pulls from the same grind for guests.. anybody else have this experience?

most definitely. although in case is a matter of both quantity and strength. most days is 2 x 20-25 oz of coffee and i probably added 1 tsp of ground beans more to the mix

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Picked up some coffee beans from Honduras about a year ago; now that was coffee!! Absolutely perfect roast and flavor; only complaint was that the beans were gone way to quickly
frown.gif

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
posting to say that if you drink coffee any way other than black, there is a good chance you have a ******

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
posting to say that if you drink coffee any way other than black, there is a good chance you have a ******

I take mine with milk/cream and sugar in the raw. And you are correct I have your mother over here with me.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
mmm. love coffee. had a iced caramel mochiato at starbucks today
smile.gif

That's not coffee.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
No longer in NYC, but when I was in NYC, I would have gone to Joe's Art of Coffee, they have 1 in union square, 1 in grand central and some place near Penn Station I think.

There is one on 23 and 9th, that is the original I think. For what its worth, Grumpys a few blocks away is better in my opinion.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roasted again today -- with rare exception (Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, etc.), all the coffee I drink is home roasted.

Sunday coffee was a Kenya AA microlot and a custom blend. Both were brewed in my vacuum pot.
stirpot.gif

youngScholar

Reaction score
+1 for Blue Bottle and Trouble Coffee here in SF. Two entirely different shops both serving great coffee.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Turkish coffee yet. Maybe not for everyone, but I like it.

Also, anyone else own an Aero Press? I bought one recently and enjoy it.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Roasted again today -- with rare exception (Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, etc.), all the coffee I drink is home roasted.

Sunday coffee was a Kenya AA microlot and a custom blend. Both were brewed in my vacuum pot.
stirpot.gif

how is home roasting working for you? I would love to do that as well, but it'll have to wait untill i move.

So for now its keeping the beans vacuum in the freezer for me..

letmefly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
how is home roasting working for you? I would love to do that as well, but it'll have to wait untill i move.

So for now its keeping the beans vacuum in the freezer for me..

I thought beans shouldn't be stored in the freezer (as opposed to ground coffee). Might be that I recall incorrectly though...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmefly
I thought beans shouldn't be stored in the freezer (as opposed to ground coffee). Might be that I recall incorrectly though...

Perhaps, the friend who sold me the machines recommended to do that though.. I believe he followed some of the barrista courses as well, so I had no doubts about his credibility. If he's wrong its going to be an interesting conversation next time though
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads