• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Columned Greek temple porticoes, Spanish villa balconies, and art deco windows don't work for you?
Also, the awful McTan color goes atrociously with the white. WTF are those little guard posts out front? Couldn't they put their electrical box somewhere else?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are real Mansions in NJ, they exist in places like Colts Neck.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
-high square footage @ low building cost per square feet.
-cheap materials
-kitschy architectural elements (sometimes contradictorily eclectic)
-marketed by builders using nostalgic pastel watercolors
-usually in cheapest available suburban lot
-nominal landscaping
-in a subdivision with three or more of the following words:

hills
estates
quail
creek
woods
trail
-shire
oak
cedar
forest
lake

There are large houses that I don't call McMansions because they are built with quality materials, even if I don't like the style. If you're building @ under $150-200/sq. foot in most areas you likely have a McMansion.

thank you for this.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-high square footage @ low building cost per square feet.

Mansion (all of these by Robert Stern)

01_robert_stern.jpg

I really like this one.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I really like this one.

Really? B/c to me, that doesn't say quiet elegance. To me it says Ina-Gartenesque "look at me look at me! I have a big house in the Hamptons"

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
92655632_68df870a8c_b.jpg

Note the large expanses of beige siding with very few windows. I find a hallmark of McMansions is one properly finished area (e.g. the front) and extremely bland sides and back. This is a particularly egregious example, though, as it appears proper consideration was not given to any angle.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Note the large expanses of beige siding with very few windows. I find a hallmark of McMansions is one properly finished area (e.g. the front) and extremely bland sides and back. This is a particularly egregious example, though, as it appears proper consideration was not given to any angle.

Along those lines, McMansions tend to be boxes (or an assembly of boxes). Modern mansions tend to have architectural interest in their foot print.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Along those lines, McMansions tend to be boxes (or an assembly of boxes). Modern mansions tend to have architectural interest in their foot print.

Wait, aren't you building a 5000 sq. ft. mcmansion?
devil.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Wait, aren't you building a 5000 sq. ft. mcmansion?
devil.gif

laugh.gif

Um, not according to the last two pages.
fing02[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Really? B/c to me, that doesn't say quiet elegance. To me it says Ina-Gartenesque "look at me look at me! I have a big house in the Hamptons"

I'm not overly concerned about those things. I could definitely live there.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Which is funny, because the can't even get that right. Notice this box sticking out of the side on this one which I assume is a closet of some sorts. All these builders start with the overall form, then move walls until they get everything to fit inside. And then when it doesn't, no worries, just stick a ******* four foot box onto the exterior. Under no circumstances will they allow themselves to make the rest of the rooms along that facade bigger so the exterior fits together coherently. The nearest neighbors can't even see the back of the house's ugliness because the curvature of the earth is in the way so they let it pass.
92655632_68df870a8c_b.jpg

brandon1987

Reaction score
Wow there are some beautiful homes in this thread (the McMansions not included!).

I actually just found this forum (again) because I was doing a search about cardigans, and noticed that I had signed up for an account here a couple of years ago but never posted. I figured now is as good a time as any to start using SF.

A little about me, before I post the pictures of my place. I'm 22 and a draftsman/designer for a high end custom homebuilder in Calgary, AB. I love all aspects of design including fashion (obviously considering I signed up here) but I'm still a bit of a fashion noob, and looking to learn more.

Here's is my condo, 950sq.ft. 2 bed 2 bath, it's a work in progress even though (or maybe because) it's only 5 years old. I've got a new custom sofa on order to replace the sectional in the Living Room and the sectional will move into the office and I'll be selling the brown leather couch. I'm trying to slowly get rid of my the Ikea furniture I still have and move upmarket, but I have other projects going at the same time.

I've recently replaced the faucets and shower controls in both bathrooms and repainted. In the near future I would like to add crown moulding throughout and replace the fridge and stove with better looking and better quality ones, and possibly have the kitchen sprayed to match the cream trim.

Living Room from the front door:
100_1298.jpg

Kitchen:
100_1299.jpg

Dining Room:
100_1300.jpg

Office/Guest Room:
100_1301.jpg

100_1302.jpg

Master Bedroom:
100_0404.jpg

100_0406.jpg

100_1303.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

That's because one of the big indicators of mcmansionland is that all of the houses are too big for their lots. In a lot of these developments, the houses are as close together as they are in urban chicago lots--no point in having lots of windows that just look onto your neighbor's beige vinyl siding.

I would much rather have a usable yard...

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Nice condo, Brandon. Whereabouts in Calgary are you located??

brandon1987

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Nice condo, Brandon. Whereabouts in Calgary are you located??

Thanks RedScarf, I'm in the SW, Marda Loop. Are you in Calgary?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads