• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

splattered

Reaction score
Ok i tried them on and wore them around the house a bit... i take it back, they look great w the black sole, but they are HEAVY. The Iron Rangers i have with the synthetic cork sole aren't this heavy... now i'm wondering if i should get used to the crepe sole version because they will be easier/more comfortable to walk in haha ugh

**Oh, and ...

Gunky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Ok i tried them on and wore them around the house a bit... i take it back, they look great w the black sole, but they are HEAVY. The Iron Rangers i have with the synthetic cork sole aren't this heavy... now i'm wondering if i should get used to the crepe sole version because they will be easier/more comfortable to walk in haha ugh

**Oh, and ...

i should try lexol, seen it at my cobbler's shop. also I have a pair of 8.5 chestnut GTs if anyone is interested check sig

float

Reaction score
anyone have fit pics on these or recommended pickup spots online?
1b03b3714d2a805da48dd1b2bfa043c1.png
excuse me if they've been covered a bit in this thread..haven't followed. i'm an alden guy. edit: jumped on this post a little quicker than i should have. didn't realize these were so widely available online after seeing them on fourhorsemen first. any onhand fit pics would be appreciated though. or preferred wabashas out there. i'm just checking these out now after semi interest in the j crew version.

splattered

Reaction score
I know everyone says to size down .5 on redwings, which i've done and they fit... but there is no arch support at all. Does the .5 size down allow for inserts to be added for support? The boots are so narrow mid-foot i'm not sure if inserts would work? If so, what kind?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the sizing on RW Engineers (2990)? Size down one?

overall impressions as well?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sooo money. I think they stopped officially selling them in the US though? They are on RW Europe site, but not RW USA
10792990-1.jpg

neko30

Reaction score
pretty nice boots.
but i got a pair of beckman's a couple months ago and sole is already wearing down pretty significantly .

i guess they're not really made for urban walking.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
2268s are much better looking.
I wouldn't go as far as "much better looking" considering it's the same boot outside of the sole/heel. And speaking of the heel, it just looks plain weird, the shape and all. I prefer mine, but you're free to like 2268. Edit: as long as you don't prefer those silly crepe sole ones, it's all good.

Thor

Reaction score
Has anybody ever got a pair of RW GTs in cigar?? They are only available in Europe but I talked to RW and the company store in Red Wing let me order pair from them...alas, after originally telling me they had some in stock they are back-ordered.

I got a pair of BlackCherry GTs but they were too red for my taste- I got them from Baker Shoes for $210 though- great deal- Haven't sent them back yet- and won't until I know I can get the cigar color.

Does any body have any pics of worn GTS in Cigar or BlackCherry?

splattered

Reaction score

Wretched

Reaction score
Hmmm... it seems Neiman Marcus carries Beckmans in Cigar. At $300 I'll wait till other retailers sell them at a more reasonable price. Linky

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question: anybody who has owned/worn a pair of the RWI (Red Wing Inspired) boots... do they run true to size or a full/half size big like the classics?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Quick question: anybody who has owned/worn a pair of the RWI (Red Wing Inspired) boots... do they run true to size or a full/half size big like the classics?

Damn it. Save money and buy the made in USA versions. You will thank yourself in the long run.

As for sizing, I'm sure they're close. But I WOULD NOT KNOW BECAUSE I REFUSE TO BUY THAT MADE IN CHINA ****.

Apologies for my digression.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads