• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

lilmann40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
overall, looks like a pretty good fit. I agree that the armholes seem a little low but there's not a whole lot you can change about that. If you take it in from the back you can take away the "horizontal"/width if you know what I mean, but not the 'vertical'/raise armholes. Hopefully you get what I mean there.
+1 to taking a bit off the pant length. Otherwise overall looks good.

yea, i see what you're saying...i think that's kinda what i wanted to say, but couldn't articulate it. i appreciate the help.

alpinewarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
overall, looks like a pretty good fit. I agree that the armholes seem a little low but there's not a whole lot you can change about that. If you take it in from the back you can take away the "horizontal"/width if you know what I mean, but not the 'vertical'/raise armholes. Hopefully you get what I mean there.
+1 to taking a bit off the pant length. Otherwise overall looks good.

well IMO yes, it's a little sloppy. Casual dressy is one thing but if a shirt is cut with a rounded hem it's generally meant to be tucked in. Shirts that are meant to be untucked are cut straight. So why don't you see that much? because the average person doesn't know or care, they wear their business shirts untucked and it looks sloppy. I'd suggest either stick to the shirts with shorter hems, or if you know you'll always wear a particular shirt out, consider spending $10-15 and having the whole hem shortened a bit with the curve, or cutting it straight. otherwise tuck it in and keep things casual with other methods like unbuttoning it, wearing a ribbon belt, colorful sportscoat, sunglasses in the pocket, etc. just my $0.02

What is considered a long hem? I have ones that have shorter rounded hems, and longer ones. Some like the nicer ones go well below the bottom of the back pocket, while others sit hang just below the top of the back pocket.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Looking on Yoox, noticed NO SARTORIAL. Anyone had any experience of this brand? If so, are they HC, FC or fused. Look very nicely made to me, especially this blazer.

jakekrait

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to identify a pair of sunglasses. I am not sure which brand they are, I am guessing they are from this season, maybe from the last.

Pictures:
20100417-bmrg6utjm5cirusxddj6dhb7iu.jpg

20100417-msj4hhi5n4dskepd47dw9jb4m3.jpg

20100417-qwbug2bnd5jri29yjdgp29rtrn.jpg

20100417-m7cicsscyeec8d71dsw3t47em4.jpg

I hope you might be able to help me find out which brand/model they are. THANKS.

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
hey. just have a quick question. slowing growing my shoe collection.

I have a love for Jodphur boots, so i'm always looking for deals on them.

i have a pair of Saks5th dark tan wingtip chelseas and a pair of Bally black tassle wingtip loafers as well

so a different cut would probably be better for me anyway. cap toe or oxford.

i just wanted something in a light tan, lighter than "cedar"
could any of you recommend anything? i have 2 pairs of boots and a pair of loafers, so i guess this would be my first pair of lace ups. i only like hardwood soles and i'm looking for something in a light tan that is versatile enough to do with a suit/jeans. again thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

looking to go in mid range prices. used are fine and def sales if possible

thanks

^^^

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
^^^
Your question is pretty vague, but to the extent I understand it, I would recommend something like the shoes in the link below.

A couple of clarifications -- First, lace-up shoes generally don't work equally well with suits and jeans. Something in a full brogue such as the one linked is about as close as you can get to that. Second, there is no such thing as hardwood soles. You're thinking of leather soles that are finished such that they look like woodgrain. Third, you may be able to find a similar shoe from one of the mid-range English shoemakers such as Alfred Sargent for less money.

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_info.cfm?ProdID=3417

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Your question is pretty vague, but to the extent I understand it, I would recommend something like the shoes in the link below. A couple of clarifications -- First, lace-up shoes generally don't work equally well with suits and jeans. Something in a full brogue such as the one linked is about as close as you can get to that. Second, there is no such thing as hardwood soles. You're thinking of leather soles that are finished such that they look like woodgrain. Third, you may be able to find a similar shoe from one of the mid-range English shoemakers such as Alfred Sargent for less money. http://www.paulstuart.com/product_info.cfm?ProdID=3417
hahahaha i never knew that about the soles! lol i feel stupid. thanks for filling me in on that. those in the link you posted look beautiful, so hopefully i'll find something similar for about half that price.I'll check out Alfred Sargent like you said. thanks again for the feedback. learn something new every day lol

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe fit question:

For dress shoes, how much should the heel slide in a properly fitting shoe? Should there be any play at all off the back of the heel, or should the shoe grab the heel through the entire step when walking?

- Keith

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teampunjabi
Been on this site reading for 2 years now...decided to be more active. Graduated and received a job offer and looking to expand my horrendous collegeish wardrobe IMO.

1. First thing is first Id like a recommendation on some nice button downs long sleeve and short sleeve that would be nice evening wear type shirts. I def would like a nice slim fit. This did catch my eye and they have a retail location in Houston so that works (Carlos Campos). Its a little pricey but thoughts on that site / recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. Also I am in dire need of a good staple belt. I am told a nice thick belt is much needed and just wondering where to look.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry had to bump

lg9015

Reaction score
Is there any online website that offers international shipment for Pringle of Scotland?

Yoox is the only one I found so far and their selection is not that great unfortunately...

JHo78

Reaction score
Can an orphaned navy suit coat be reborn as a navy blazer? Would new buttons make it official?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lg9015
Is there any online website that offers international shipment for Pringle of Scotland?

Yoox is the only one I found so far and their selection is not that great unfortunately...

This turned up this.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Does anyone know where in the UK (or Online!) I can find cufflinks like these? They don't have to be exactly the same but I really like that style. They need to be chain cufflinks and my budget is 220GBP, I'm willing to pay up to 300GBP if need be. Thanks!
laugh.gif

Prince-Charles-style-prin-007.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JHo78
Can an orphaned navy suit coat be reborn as a navy blazer? Would new buttons make it official?
Blazers are often done in coarser fabrics than suits, but replacing the buttons on an orphaned navy jacket would certainly go a long way towards making it official. Certainly not likely to be recognized as an orphaned jacket by the average guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads