• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, if you wanted a lot of square footage, you'd have to live in a McMansion. Buy an old place and fix it up.

Incman

Reaction score
Everyone needs to post more pics. I'm living vicariously through the gorgeous houses in this thread.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't know why, if you wanted a lot of square footage, you'd have to live in a McMansion. Buy an old place and fix it up.
I'm not saying I ever will, just that I can see the appeal. Fixing up an old place can be fraught with peril, especially if you're clueless about that kind of thing. It's probably pretty easy to get in over your head financially. And depending on where you live, those places are often in more expensive areas as well. Plus, some mcmansions are less mcmansiony than others. What's unacceptable in my mind is cramming that style of house onto tiny .25 acre lots. My preference, of course, is to be living in south america in 10 years' time, preferably in a spanish colonial mansion with a central courtyard where I'll eat breakfast every morning.
laugh.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Everyone needs to post more pics. I'm living vicariously through the gorgeous houses in this thread.

+1. I would post pics of mine but it's an effing mess with the remodeling at the moment.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kyle,

I'd strongly suggest you forgo Indiana and consider Atlanta. That is a new hotbed, and there's so many great chefs there you could work for and still live somewhat affordably. Cleveland is a good idea too, but in all honesty Atlanta would be far superior of a choice.

Plus, if he's really nice to AF he can go horseback riding for free. Or were they ponies? Nm, they'd be crushed under the kid's weight.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kyle,

I'd strongly suggest you forgo Indiana and consider Atlanta. That is a new hotbed, and there's so many great chefs there you could work for and still live somewhat affordably. Cleveland is a good idea too, but in all honesty Atlanta would be far superior of a choice.

Good point in that Indianapolis doesn't seem to appreciate fine dining as do other major cities. The best restaurants here are good, but pale in comparison to ones in most other cities of similar size. This is in large part due to clientele not supporting high end restaurants, IMO. Something Different was outstanding, but it didn't get enough business to stay open. Oakley's is very good, and my favorite in Indy, but it doesn't come close to similar restaurants in other cities, Babbos for example.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How do people define "McMansion"? I have a definition in my head, and it has to do with subdivisions like the one in the first season of "Weeds." I don't define it merely in being new construction and > say 3.5k sq feet.

As to the appeal of size: I think it has much to do with your lifestyle. What we plan to build in a few years when (if!) conditions revert somewhat back, it will be large. Each space has a reason and/or purpose though. I plan to do much in the way of entertaining, both in dinner/social things with local folks, and in having distant family/friends being able to stay comfortably with me. If it wasn't for those two things, we would probably be looking at building a house 1/2 the size.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How do people define "McMansion"?
-high square footage @ low building cost per square feet. -cheap materials -kitschy architectural elements (sometimes contradictorily eclectic) -marketed by builders using nostalgic pastel watercolors -usually in cheapest available suburban lot -nominal landscaping -in a subdivision with three or more of the following words: hills estates quail creek woods trail -shire oak cedar forest lake (none of which are present) There are large houses that I don't call McMansions because they are built with quality materials, even if I don't like the style. If you're building @ under $150-200/sq. foot in most areas you likely have a McMansion. McMansion
92655632_68df870a8c_b.jpg
3199635639_d990307d7c_o.jpg
2148807464_e1e99d07e0_b.jpg
Mansion (all of these by Robert Stern)
01_robert_stern.jpg
94033_4.jpg
arar01_stern.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ sums it up about perfectly IMO.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How do people define "McMansion"?

New Jersey.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first picture is the definition of a McMansion. Those sprung up all over Connecticut like the plague in the late 90s when my family was house hunting.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Columned Greek temple porticoes, Spanish villa balconies, and art deco windows don't work for you?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also think of a McMansion as a cheaply built house that is made to appear much larger than it actually is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics