• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needing ideas for a completely new hairstyle - M/20

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trentarren

Again, I know I look like a girl and I'm ugly. Thanks, internet, I don't need to hear it again.

It sucks you are more or less forced to resort to an online community for advice but hearing you say that really does say a lot about online forums, most people are just hiding behind a screen name bagging on everyone to make themselves feel good and it happens all too much on this forum.

Good luck on your 'new life' If I were you, I'd just get a short haircut so it doesn't get in my way of working out and when your new face and body shape starts forming, you can get a better clue of what hairstyles you will look good in.

trentarren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
It sucks you are more or less forced to resort to an online community for advice but hearing you say that really does say a lot about online forums, most people are just hiding behind a screen name bagging on everyone to make themselves feel good and it happens all too much on this forum. Good luck on your 'new life' If I were you, I'd just get a short haircut so it doesn't get in my way of working out and when your new face and body shape starts forming, you can get a better clue of what hairstyles you will look good in.
I should note that I hail from 4chan (if you haven't been to 4chan.org, don't go to the random forum) and somethingawful, so my version of the internet is far different from whatever this place is. To the person who was commenting about my choice of salon, yeah, I'm going to THE place to go in town, not just a supercuts or anything. Edit: More to say have I! I don't think it sucks going to the internet - I'm in Texas and we have all of 3 prevalent hairstyles on campus (in college). The internet means I can ask people around the world (I bet all of you are in the US though) for input. It does suck having to start all this life changing stuff, and whoever posted about burning myself out is right - it's hard to do a lot and do it every day without seeing immediate results. Here's hoping that moving on from THE BREAKUP is easier when I'm distracted, and I'll tell the next GF that she has the internet to thank. Right before I show her 4chan.

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
Good work, Trent. You can make some really positive lifestyle changes after the end of a long relationship. You really do come out of those things a different person, and you can use the opportunity to reclaim life. Way to cut out the soda. I did the same at your age and haven't looked back.

The pony tail on the computer guy is a bit cliche and expected now, so definitely get rid of it, in my opinion.

I like the nerd look that can be pulled off with a pair of the plastic frames that are in right now. I scored these some horn rim plastic frames that are much larger/thicker than I'm used to and it gives my face more shape and interest than it actually has. I think they look great and I embrace my nerdiness in them, but they're still modern and trendy. The frames you are currently sporting, in my opinion, are too small. I had a pair of similar size and shape (wide with no height) and they have been driving me insane, since I now fine that style/proportion to be twerpy.

Buying the new glasses dictated how I was going to style my hair. They are big on my face, so I needed more forehead for the proportions to look right. Think about how Clark Kent looks best with his hair back and out of his face. I had to do the same.

I'm saying, from one glasses wearer to another---do some research on the style of frames you may like, and then check out the hair of the models wearing them to see what you could pull off.

And keep the blonde hair. But get a masculine eyeglass frame that contrasts with your feminine features (not a bad thing), and I think you'll have a cool look. If I had your long hair, I'd make one solid attempt at getting Hugh Jackman's in this first picture:

http://coolmenshair.com/

Sorry, that kinda poo-poos the styles you like, but I think it looks better with masculine eyeglasses. So would any shorter, more conservative look. But you're in computers and could be a bit more funky, so use some of the length while you got it!

Good luck!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't eat anything that comes out of a box. Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and tuna. Lots of soup. Soup is filling. Give yourself 1 day a week where you can cheat and eat anything.
eric-true-blood-7574142-433-612.jpg

kaiimac

Reaction score
I think you would look good with a medium/short (not super short) haircut with bangs. You can just run some gel or pomade through it and pull it down in front. Others are saying to buzz it, but I feel like that would be too drastic of a change. I don't think the slick-back would look as good on you or anything too short. Something kinda like this I was thinking: http://www.hair-news.com/mens-hairst...mage-is039.jpg http://coolmenshair.com/2009/09/how-...-own-hair.html As far as glasses go, I think I would like thick black-framed or any thick plastic glasses on you. They are in style and a nerdy-cool. These are pretty neat. http://4m.scene7.com/is/image/4m/myk0013blk_01?wid=300 Just my .02...good luck!

kaiimac

Reaction score
Also, no, you shouldn't dye your hair. I think that would be too much maintenance to go from never fixing your hair to keeping the roots dyed a separate color. Plus, men tend to look funny when they dye their hair something drastic. I also wanted to say with the style I posted, you can also slick it back if you wanted sometimes.

The glasses you have are cool, but I don't think they suit your face. You should try on multiple pairs of the same style to see which ones look best on your face. Also, a hair stylist will probably love to cut your hair and style it, so it wouldn't hurt to go in and ask for opinions from the stylist.

Also, there is absolutely no reason you should buzz your head, workout, and wait until you look "better" to implement some style. While working out is important, it's also important to look and feel good about yourself no matter what size you are.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I am always a little skeptical of those hairstyle sites or of fashion shoots where dudes have super-cool looking hair, and then we are all supposed to say 'that would look great on me'. OK, 12 years in PR, countless photographer friends and stylist ex-girlfriend advice follows: Their hair does not normally look like that. Half a dozen gay guys fuss over it for 45 minutes, gel the hell out of it, it lasts long enough for a single photo inside a studio where there is no sun, wind, traffic, or whatever, and between each shots, half a dozen gay dudes re-swarm for touch-ups, and then, when all is said and done, the model/actor goes home and washes all that gunk out. So, to the OP - don't go overmining fashion sites thinking 'that is totally me' - cos you will take the pic to the salon, who will make it happen exactly once, you will then go home and be completely unable to ever replicate what they did for you...as (hopefully) you don't have half a dozen gay dudes living in your bathroom. Or maybe you do. NTTAWWT. Anyhow, you will be left with a chopped up layered mop on your head that you can never get right again. So, let's dumbitdown: 1. Lose the ponytail. Now. 2. Don't dye your hair. Chixdigblondedudes. 3. Keep the top longish - and by that I mean '4-5 inches' not 12 - and then cut it shorter at the sides. Grow sideburns to that little sticky-outy part of your ear and no longer. 4. Stick some wax in it every morning, push it back and kinda mussed up. It'll basically stay that way, and when the wind blows it or whatever, it'll kinda look deliberate. 5. When you want to change it up a little, part it on the side, and comb it back straight with a bunch of wet-look wax or something in there, and you will end up with that Eric-the-vampire look above when you want that. Good for dates. There you go, two hairstyles for the price of one, both suit your face, and both are a zillion times better than the current. While I am feeling helpful, some bonus advice: 1. Lose the frames. Seriously. Given your freely admitted lack of style, get someone else to take you frame shopping. This should either be a chick or a gay dude. No one from your computer science class. 2. Stick to the 5x5 stuff, add in some cardio (hint: boxing) 3. Buy some dark, dry denim. Don't get too caught up in all the technicalities of it just yet. Dark. Dry. Oh, and NOT BAGGY. Don't go interpreting 'not baggy' as tight either, don't buy any ball compressing things, you're too chubby, but a casual comfortable fit. 4. Buy some plain black t-shirts. They're slimming. Pair them with the jeans. 5. Buy some elastic sided work-boots. Blundstone style. In brown. Pair them with the jeans and the black t-shirts. Very easy to find, and a big step up from the Asics-n-sweats-look of all the guys I knew in comp-sci programs. And cos comp-sci kids aren't known for the time they spend dressing, the elastic sides mean you can get them on and off faster than the sneakers
smile.gif
There you go, I moved in and renovated. Good luck with it, post breakups are a great time for reinvention....

sbbbjm

Reaction score
ditto to that ^ with a few caveats i don't think you have to completely ditch the glasses, they seem like they're part of who you are, so i would just get a better looking pair. the ones you have now kind of 'pinched' together towards the center so they look a little feminine. if you wanna go with plastic frames like those, get something a little more purely squared off to give some angles to your rounder face. you could also go rimless with something like a Marchon Airlock type frame (their are cheaper versions than Marchon everywhere now). even if you go rimless, make sure the lenses are cut more square, rather than oval shaped. i think long(er) hair is also "you" - you just need a better cut like this one http://menshair.about.com/od/mediumh...les/Slick3.htm - ditto what matt is saying about how you can slick it back, push it foward with a swoop bang, wear it back but kind of loose like the dude in the picture, but i think this particular length is a nice "transition length" for guys that have long hair and want to go shorter. as you can see there's still quite a bit of longer length on the sides and the back. it's just be neatly combed back with product. what school are u at btw? i'm also in tx.

trentarren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
ditto to that ^ with a few caveats

i don't think you have to completely ditch the glasses, they seem like they're part of who you are, so i would just get a better looking pair. the ones you have now kind of 'pinched' together towards the center so they look a little feminine. if you wanna go with plastic frames like those, get something a little more purely squared off to give some angles to your rounder face. you could also go rimless with something like a Marchon Airlock type frame (their are cheaper versions than Marchon everywhere now). even if you go rimless, make sure the lenses are cut more square, rather than oval shaped.

i think long(er) hair is also "you" - you just need a better cut like this one http://menshair.about.com/od/mediumh...les/Slick3.htm - ditto what matt is saying about how you can slick it back, push it foward with a swoop bang, wear it back but kind of loose like the dude in the picture, but i think this particular length is a nice "transition length" for guys that have long hair and want to go shorter. as you can see there's still quite a bit of longer length on the sides and the back. it's just be neatly combed back with product.

what school are u at btw? i'm also in tx.

I like that one you linked. I go to Texas State.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
You're doing it backwards

Lose 30 pounds
Shave head

Get contacts

Then decide on hair style as it grows in

Parting your hair down the middle like the little emo ***** kid you posted above will do nothing for you. You already know you have features that look feminine. Therefore, you can't carry any weight. Lose the weight till your jaw is as defined as possible and you look the best that you can. Then decide on what to do with your hair. ******* with your hair is entirely secondary at this point.

This. Lose weight, get your hair cut really really short, then go from there.

Foolproof cut: Short on sides, slightly longer on top. I go for a #2 on the side and scissors on the top, whatever works for you.

As far as confidence, get good at something or be passionate about it. I used to be a skinny shy introvert; started lifting and got a job in retail (really helps with talking to people) and its a world of difference.

trentarren

Reaction score
I'm done with my day and I've uploaded my glasses pics. A few things to note here... First, I forgot that I was holding a camera to take pictures of myself, so all the shots are about neck height, which makes the glasses all look a bit weird on me. Second, I got some really weird looks for standing in a mirror taking pictures of myself in public, so some of them are hastily done. The haircut is still upcoming, I assure all of you. Each picture (except one) has a front and a side view...I guess they're both angle views because of the camera
mad.gif
I know a few of these look silly on me, and my favorite pair turned out to be a girl's pair, so those aren't posted at all. Interestingly enough, one of my faves wasn't thick and plastic at all! Here are my top few, in order: 6, 7, 5, 8, 1, and the rest. 1
ballerb.jpg
ballerc.jpg
chestera.jpg
chesterb.jpg
guessa.jpg
guessb.jpg
haggar1a.jpg
(no 2nd pic) 5
haggar2a.jpg
haggar2b.jpg
konishia.jpg
konishib.jpg
marchona.jpg
marchonb.jpg
raybana.jpg
raybanb.jpg
sket8a-1.jpg
sket8b-1.jpg
sket18a.jpg
sket18b.jpg
sket8a.jpg
sket8b.jpg

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the haircut first, then decide on a frame. BTW, you can do much better in frames than the ones you tried on. Jai Kudo is a company that makes some nice looking frames at affordable prices. You need something a little bit more bold, plastic/acetate/dark frames. http://www.metsuki.com/jai_kudo_glasses_acetate.html In particular http://www.metsuki.com/jai-kudo-1742-p01-black.html
1742_P01.jpg
The ones below are expensive, but look at the shapes for frame suggestions. http://www.contactsandspecs.com/lafo...nti-10547.aspx http://www.contactsandspecs.com/blin...Obey-3717.aspx And re-read Matt's fashion suggestions above. He speaketh truth.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need a find a good barber and tell him you'd like to stay with long hair, but that you want some texture.

I'm extremely happy with my barber cut and get tons of compliments, something impossible to acheive at a salon dragging in pictures of something i wanted.

I use Kiehls dandruff treatment shampoo and amino acid conditioner (i have oily hair naturally, this stuff cleared that up).

I use Redken #12 Paste in wet hair, shape it then let dry and run my fingers through it until its natural appearing. It is then very pliable but appears to have little or no gel/hair product in it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a boutique designer frames shop near you? There is place near me that sells stuff like Oliver Peoples and a host of one-off brands that you cant find at Lens Crafters and they're just awesome!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you know, sort the hair out, drop some of the puppy fat from around the face (Zombieland Rule 1: cardio), and you're actually not a bad looking kid. no ****. Like these glasses the best:
sket18a.jpg
But agree with willpower, sort the hair out first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads