• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refusal to sell...

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
after being ripped off so many times with paypal transactions, I'm really cautious with new users and international buyers. sorry, just a fact of life.

If I get a buyer with a post count under 120, I get a little nervous.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but what's the problem with international buyers? I've sold things to Americans, Canadians, Australians and Norwegians without any problems. Never had any issues buying from the UK or the USA, either.

Someone care to explain?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had to refuse to sell to anyone, but it's remarkable how easy it is to tell from an initial PM whether a potential buyer is serious and will follow through on the transaction or will ask you 20 questions and then disappear forever.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I'm sorry, but what's the problem with international buyers? I've sold things to Americans, Canadians, Australians and Norwegians without any problems. Never had any issues buying from the UK or the USA, either.

Someone care to explain?

Don't get it either. I buy and sell all the time on Ebay and being from a small country I nearly always end up dealing with international buyers and sellers. Never had a problem.

On Ebay it always seems to be US sellers who won't ship internationally. Never understood it apart from putting it down to American insularism.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Someone care to explain?

Originally Posted by Racing Green
Don't get it either. I buy and sell all the time on Ebay and being from a small country I nearly always end up dealing with international buyers and sellers. Never had a problem.

On Ebay it always seems to be US sellers who won't ship internationally. Never understood it apart from putting it down to American insularism.

+1, +1

and i think the feedback thread must be utilized more often.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green

Can't speak for anyone else, but just shipping a pair of shorts to HK meant another 15 minutes of paperwork, labeling, etc etc. It's a pain ********** and why bother with it if someone "domestic" wants it that doesn't require the extra work? It could also be that with repetition comes familiarity and it gets less pain in the assy, but until then, I'd rather not deal with it.

Also, due to many many many Americans being targeted by Nigerian scammers, it's not worth the risk for a lot of them.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a seller, international shipping is frustrating because it's so expensive. People don't want to pay the price for the shipping with insurance, and I'm not about to send a pricey item overseas without insurance. Can't tell you how many people have backed out on a sale after they found out how much shipping would be.

Also, international shipping requires waiting in line at the post office. That has to be done during business hours and can take an hour or more, if I arrive at a bad time. Domestic stuff I can drop off 24 hours a day, no waiting.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ship everything domestically via USPS priority, it's easiest and cheapest and reasonably reliable and fast. I offer free domestic shipping whenever I sell anything that's not crazy heavy, and I have a handle on the rates, based mostly on using the USPS flat rate shipping containers (which also save me money on supplies).

If I want to ship something abroad, USPS becomes slightly less reliable and slower than UPS/Fedex and the expense of shipping can vary a lot.

Were I a high-volume seller, I would have supplies on hand and have a better feel for rates, shipping times, best service to use, etc., but as an occasional seller it's VASTLY easier for me to just ship domestic unless the buyer is really interested/accomodating.

wttm

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people are having problems with Canadians as a buyer/seller.
Sucks for us Canadians that never had a problem *touch wood* making our brethren down south leery of any potential cross border transactions.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know you can print out priority international shipping labels from paypal... and then you take it to a post office (along with hte package) and they'll stuff the label into a little slip and slap it on. i print domestic labels too, but i need to tape those on myself ><

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You also get Domestic Delivery Confirmation if you pay online vs. in store I don't discriminate against you un-Americanese
spam[1].gif

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikey34
want to all the time when selling. you offer a low price, they want lower. offer free ground shipping, they want next day air. you ask them to pay the fees, they don't because it costs them (duhhhhh that's why I asked). It's never enough to make the majority of buyers happy. I mean if I'm spending $100's on an item, I'm not trying to get over someone a few bucks with fees or something.

Amen to this and to g transistor about allowing some time to ship. For the most part, the members I've dealt have been very good and reasonable and have patience. Sometimes it works out that I can ship the next day and sometimes it takes me up to about 5 days to get it out, but I usually try to update and not stay out of touch. Life gets busy sometimes, I'm not a student anymore, and this isn't my full time job.

I've been good with International sellers for the most part too, but it seems it's the international ones that ask 5 days later where an item is more than the domestic ones. I guess certain individuals fail to understand that internation shipping via USPS priority can take in itself 5-10 days, then you have potential customs delays, and then add the fact that it can take me a few days to get the package together (usually all my buyers are notified via paypal or occasional PM when things are out the door) and that just takes some time.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
you know you can print out priority international shipping labels from paypal... and then you take it to a post office (along with hte package) and they'll stuff the label into a little slip and slap it on. i print domestic labels too, but i need to tape those on myself ><

I print international shipping labels from paypal too, but I also add them to the slip holders myself. I just grab some from my local PO. I take care of it all at home then just drop it off.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
You know you still have to fill out the customs forms, right? It's still more hassle than it's worth, unless the recipient, as someone else noted, is more accomodating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads