• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

wsblend

Reaction score
JAB pinpoint dress shirts- how much will they shrink after several washing/drying cycles?

Washing instructions on mine say: machine wash warm, dry low heat.

quasky

Reaction score
Was thrifting the other day and found a pair of Florsheim Imperial monkstraps that fit to perfection. Only problem is that they haven't been particularly well cared-for, and some of the leather on the vamp is cracking. Anything that can be done to prevent the cracks from getting any worse? Or at least make them less visible?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GnllyClueless_1
Need options!!!

I have a - Dark grey suit with subtle blue lines (crossing not pinstripe)...

Any suggestions on a nice shirt tie combo (color wise?) I have some blue shirts, whites, a cream color.. and many patterned ties (no solid color ties)..

Thank you!

JD

It's hard to answer since the details you provide are so vague. In general, lighter blue, white, and cream shirts would work with that suit. Most ties with a blue ground to coordinate with the blue windowpane on the suit should work. More difficult to pair but also possible are patterned ties with ground colors that complement the blue windowpane.

Kazou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quasky
Was thrifting the other day and found a pair of Florsheim Imperial monkstraps that fit to perfection. Only problem is that they haven't been particularly well cared-for, and some of the leather on the vamp is cracking. Anything that can be done to prevent the cracks from getting any worse? Or at least make them less visible?

Yep! there are ways to help these shoes. clean them and apply a conditioner to help them out, then polish them. Actually here's a thread that better explains it. Great find BTW!

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=15

kinch

Reaction score
Just took my suit flat front trousers to my tailor, who said she would take the waist in an inch but couldn't do anything to slim the legs without messing up the creases in the front.

I thought I had read on SF that tailors can slim legs pretty easily (though top block not so much). Is this just my tailor not knowing how to do it, or what's the deal?

lilmann40

Reaction score
looking on fit opinions one more time...

i'm thinking of taking a little off the pants, maybe a little less than an inch.

and then for the jacket, thinking of taking in under the armpits, it feels a little baggy there.

4523385273_61f8d51927_o.jpg

4523381533_21b354ed1a_o.jpg

4523388277_ac86c9d9ac_o.jpg

supersheik

Reaction score
I'm looking to choose between these 2 shoes but I can't decide what's more flexible with my wardrobe. I want to wear them with a black or charcoal suit or just dress pants. I currently already have a pair of brown & burgundy oxfords and I need to replace my ugly dockers 'dress shoes'. J&M Waverly Wingtips J&M Gillum Runoffs Lace-ups Pros/cons? Are wingtips less formal to wear with a suit? I realize that Johnston & Murphy may not be the best brand (even for the buck) for these type of shoes but assume I have to stick with them for whatever reason. Thanks!

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by supersheik
I'm looking to choose between these 2 shoes but I can't decide what's more flexible with my wardrobe. I want to wear them with a black or charcoal suit or just dress pants. I currently already have a pair of brown & burgundy oxfords and I need to replace my ugly dockers 'dress shoes'.

J&M Waverly Wingtips

J&M Gillum Runoffs Lace-ups

Pros/cons? Are wingtips less formal to wear with a suit?

I realize that Johnston & Murphy may not be the best brand (even for the buck) for these type of shoes but assume I have to stick with them for whatever reason.

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of wingtips, but most would consider them perfectly acceptable.

I don't like Gillum at all and suspect most on the forvm would agree.

As for J&M in that price range, I'd consider these captoes:

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...1215&pid=38301

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...2630&VID=72649

The first pair might be too dressy if you're wanting to dress them down a bit.

The second pair isn't exactly "right" for a suit because of the open laces, but most non-forvmites would have no idea and, because of the broguing, would work better dressed down.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40

i'm thinking of taking a little off the pants, maybe a little less than an inch.

and then for the jacket, thinking of taking in under the armpits, it feels a little baggy there.

You can't really take in under the armpits as that would entail changing the armhole size. I agree that you should shorten the trousers. You'll need to decide how much break you want and have them appropriately shortened.

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Been on this site reading for 2 years now...decided to be more active. Graduated and received a job offer and looking to expand my horrendous collegeish wardrobe IMO. 1. First thing is first Id like a recommendation on some nice button downs long sleeve and short sleeve that would be nice evening wear type shirts. I def would like a nice slim fit. This did catch my eye and they have a retail location in Houston so that works (Carlos Campos). Its a little pricey but thoughts on that site / recommendations would be much appreciated. 2. Also I am in dire need of a good staple belt. I am told a nice thick belt is much needed and just wondering where to look. Thanks in advance.

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
hey. just have a quick question. slowing growing my shoe collection.

I have a love for Jodphur boots, so i'm always looking for deals on them.

i have a pair of Saks5th dark tan wingtip chelseas and a pair of Bally black tassle wingtip loafers as well

so a different cut would probably be better for me anyway. cap toe or oxford.

i just wanted something in a light tan, lighter than "cedar"
could any of you recommend anything? i have 2 pairs of boots and a pair of loafers, so i guess this would be my first pair of lace ups. i only like hardwood soles and i'm looking for something in a light tan that is versatile enough to do with a suit/jeans. again thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

looking to go in mid range prices. used are fine and def sales if possible

thanks

alpinewarrior

Reaction score
I'm 6'4" - pretty balanced between leg length and torso length. I wear a lot of casual or semi-dress button down shirts like these below, with a curved cut, front and tail a bit longer than sides. Something you would typically pick up in a Macy's or something.

Usually in an environment somewhere in between casual and business casual. Usually jeans, occasionally khakis.

I usually wear a leather jacket, or no jacket.

The front part usually hangs down about 2/3 - all the way to the bottom of my zipper, and the back of most of my shirts hangs -- at the lowest point about 3-4 inches below the jacket.... usually about 2/3 of the way, or all the way to the bottom of my back pockets.

Usually wear casual black leather shoes.

The style I usually like to go for is like a mix between somewhat nice and relaxed.

If wearing nicer pants and a nicer jacket, I usually tuck it in. But in the scenario described above, does leaving it out come off as sloppy, or in a negative way? I don't care about the latest trend... just more of what you call "classic" good style.

How low is too low to hang out with jeans/semi-casual pants, and a semi-nice or casual jacket?

706584_fpx.tif

079.JPG

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ Well, short answer - if you want "classic," tuck in...

EZ

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
and then for the jacket, thinking of taking in under the armpits, it feels a little baggy there

overall, looks like a pretty good fit. I agree that the armholes seem a little low but there's not a whole lot you can change about that. If you take it in from the back you can take away the "horizontal"/width if you know what I mean, but not the 'vertical'/raise armholes. Hopefully you get what I mean there.
+1 to taking a bit off the pant length. Otherwise overall looks good.

Originally Posted by alpinewarrior
I wear a lot of casual or semi-dress button down shirts like these below, with a curved cut, front and tail a bit longer than sides.
Usually jeans, occasionally khakis.
I usually wear a leather jacket, or no jacket.
The front part usually hangs down about 2/3
The back of most of my shirts hangs -- at the lowest point about 3-4 inches below the jacket....
If wearing nicer pants and a nicer jacket, I usually tuck it in. But in the scenario described above, does leaving it out come off as sloppy, or in a negative way? I don't care about the latest trend... just more of what you call "classic" good style.

well IMO yes, it's a little sloppy. Casual dressy is one thing but if a shirt is cut with a rounded hem it's generally meant to be tucked in. Shirts that are meant to be untucked are cut straight. So why don't you see that much? because the average person doesn't know or care, they wear their business shirts untucked and it looks sloppy. I'd suggest either stick to the shirts with shorter hems, or if you know you'll always wear a particular shirt out, consider spending $10-15 and having the whole hem shortened a bit with the curve, or cutting it straight. otherwise tuck it in and keep things casual with other methods like unbuttoning it, wearing a ribbon belt, colorful sportscoat, sunglasses in the pocket, etc. just my $0.02

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads