• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headed to Chicago in a couple weeks and found a lot of good info on styleforum on restaurants, etc.

One burning question--would love to go to Wrigley and the cubbies are in town while I'm there. However, for the weekend day game I'm looking at, most midpriced sections are already down to single seats. What's the deal with the bleachers? Is it like 700 level at the vet? Will my wife and I get doused with Bud Light or puked on? It's ******* 90 dollars for two bleacher tix online--will I have a shot with scalpers outside the park at getting face value tickets with reserved seats?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Bleacher seats depend on who they're playing and how good the Cubs are this season.
Obviously, if it's a Cardinals game, you would expect for **** to be packed--- but I doubt there are any tix left for those games. If it's just a game with another team in their division, who knows. Also, I've found that the middle games in 3-game series are generally less crowded than either of the bookending games.
Anyway, you're more than likely safe in the bleachers. If somebody throws bud light or pukes on you, everybody around is going to be pissed at that guy. It's not like it's a frat party in the bleachers, even though it's less "nice" seating than the general seating, it's not a jungle of man and beer.
Just don't try to go to a Wrigleyville bar afterward. THAT is where you'll get puked on. Hell, I lived 4 blocks north of Wrigley and everytime there was a big game, I'd see people outside in my little courtyard drinking it up.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite enjoy getting a splitting headache trying to figure out O'Hare Airport.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kyle - nowadays it's a far cry from when Joe Mantegna and Dennis Franz starred in "Bleacher Bums" at the Organic Theatre.
laugh.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Go to Prairie Avenue Bookstore, possibly the best architecture/art/design bookstore in the world. Oh wait. Nevermind. Chicago's sales tax put them out of business.

exteriora.jpg

interior.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Go to Prairie Avenue Bookstore, possibly the best architecture/art/design bookstore in the world. Oh wait. Nevermind. Chicago's sales tax put them out of business.

exteriora.jpg

interior.jpg

Have you been to William Stout Books?

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
1. archetecrural boat tour
2. art museum
3. science and technology museum
4. drinks at the top of the handcock building
5. shedd aquarium

to eat

1. gyros
2. pizza
3. hot dog
4. vietnamese

I agree with the above + Don't forget to try an Italian Beef.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do?

Leave.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Have you been to William Stout Books?

Have not. I've been meaning to go to SF (never been), I'll check it out when I'm there. Thanks for the heads up.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

exteriora.jpg

interior.jpg

I'm sure the sales tax didn't help, but it was mostly internet book sellers that did them in. It's a shame. It was a great store. Won't see its like again.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
I'm sure the sales tax didn't help, but it was mostly internet book sellers that did them in. It's a shame. It was a great store. Won't see its like again.

I think his point is that Chicago's high sales tax made internet book sellers all the more appealing, causing them to lose their business.

Brogued

Reaction score
They just couldn't compete with Amazon, sales tax or no. They were losing money for years. "Downturn" finally did them in. Sales tax may have had some effect.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
When you specialize your store by carrying a very extensive range of hard to find book at the $100-$500 price point, the 10-11% sales tax is a bigger sales deterrent than if they were relying on selling $30 Intro to Palladio books. Additionally, the hits they took from people browsing through those expensive books and leaving them in less than new condition before buying them on Amazon really had to kill their margins on that type of stuff. Their best chance of survival was to turn the reading room into a members only library while trying to sell coffee table books to larger businesses and architecture firms in a "do it for the little guy" manner. They needed some other source of income and they couldn't find it. They also should have tried to sell original reproductions of architects' sketches, drawings, and models. They might have been able to cut a deal that allowed them to sell those at higher margins because most firms don't go out of their way to even market that stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads