• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theres a good cheese shop in santa monica that slangs some rare Belgians and the like.
They do a monthly beer + cheese night thats pretty awesome.
http://andrewscheese.com/

Just ate lazy ox, had pig ear chicharones, lamb neck hash, and oxtail pasta, along with a couple belgians.

The foods pretty damn good i could eat pig ears all day
Tons of new flavors. Global/American tapas.

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score
Ah yes lazy ox canteen has some pretty good food and beer. I've been there for happy hour a few times.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Recommend me some good dry cleaners and coffee shops besides intelligentsia thanks.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Recommend me some good dry cleaners and coffee shops besides intelligentsia thanks.
i swear by TJ cleaners in Santa Monica (by my work). $3.50 for shirts or pants. 1-2 day turnaround and super friendly and accommodating employees. i wouldnt give them really complicated alterations (such as hidden stitching or reweaving - i use Viktors, also in SM for this), but they reinforced all the buttons on a S&H pea coat for me for about $9, and they matched the original sewing without me asking them to. on the topic of viktors though, it takes them for ******* ever (a month is not surprising) and costs a ton, but they do MAGIC. took a pair of Dior Homme slacks there with a tear, and they used a giant magnifying glass and slowly wove in a small piece of matching fabric to cover the tear from the back, thread by thread. there is no way to locate where the tear was from the front. as for coffee, i still love casbah, but i just get food and americanos there.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
There have been some fairly questionable recs foodwise that make me wonder if some on here have ever had an actual square meal in their lives.

For the oinkster lovers, I'm not saying it's not good but jesus is it far from great considering the hype. If I wanted good burger-joint pastrami, I'd go to (Name) (random number) Mexican Burger stand along the 10; for real pastrami, a real deli. And I doubt any of the pulled pork fans have heard of Gus'.

For coffee, intelligentsia and LA Mill are both good, albeit different, choices. The problem is that real places are few and far between in LA compared to other cities like SF and NYC. If you really care about your coffee, save your money and make it at home using good beans and good equipment, unless you're really just going for the free wifi and to show other people that screenplay you've been working on.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Agree with most of what you said, but who in central LA doesn't know Gus's? Both are pretty well known. if you're talking about the 3rd steet one near the hospital, THAT's my idea of a great burger. I don't have an opinion on the Pasadena BBQ joint since I haven't been there since I was little.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The fact that I was referring to the latter underscores my point.

I bet all you burger fans haven't even heard of Islands.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Do you like going downtown? If so, Executive Image cleaners on 9th and Flower is awesome. Also, Spring For Coffee at 6th and Spring is really, really good. I live DT and am at both all the time. SFC uses Intelligentsia for their lattes/caps, but I think they have better barristas than Int.

That's the only cleaner I've ever had here that I actually liked. Other coffee favorites include Luxxe in SM on Montana or Brentwood on San Vicente. Also Profetta Westwood on Glendon is awesome.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
I bet all you burger fans haven't even heard of Islands.

I've heard of Islands and I don't live in LA nor have I ever. My girlfriend's from Pasadena, however. Is it good?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18
I've heard of Islands and I don't live in LA nor have I ever. My girlfriend's from Pasadena, however. Is it good?

islands is ok....they have unlimited hand cut fries.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
islands is terrible

I've been to luxxe a while back it wasn't bad and I'm in dt occasionally.

Ate at nickel diner last night and it was pretty good. Had the nitesomething chicken sandwich, onion rings, mac n cheese and cole slaw with my cousin. Second best mac I've had.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18

it was a joke.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I crave burgers I just go to In&Out and that usually satisfies my cravings. Their fries ordered well done with animal sauce isn't bad either.

Every one I know brags about The Habit but never been to one, is it any good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads