• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
$1450 a month!?!
Welcome to NYC, where salaries go to die. I am a cheapskate. Most of my friends pay closer to $2000 a month. Insanity, if you ask me. I'm considering moving to Brooklyn so I can save more of my money.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
in NYC that is a lot of room for $1450. My old studio wasn't nearly that size (I needed to bunk my bed to fit a futon) and it was $1650.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
in NYC that is a lot of room for $1450. My old studio wasn't nearly that size (I needed to bunk my bed to fit a futon) and it was $1650.

The great thing about being single is that I don't have to live in a nice place.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The great thing about being single is that I don't have to live in a nice place.
the problem with dating an architect is that I do. I'll get a pic or two of my current sometime, we're doing some slight mods with it right now. This was my first place out of college, literally a day or two after I moved in (hence the hand me down furniture that I no longer own). This is what $1650 a month plus $4500 down will get you in NYC. I'm standing in the kitchen, but I had to buy a kitchen cart to have any counter space:
2437160420043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the problem with dating an architect is that I do.

God, women really are a black hole when it comes to money.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
the problem with dating an architect is that I do. I'll get a pic or two of my current sometime, we're doing some slight mods with it right now.

If you didn't have a gf, you'd still have a well-designed place.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't you get tired of living in a depressing apartment? Back when I was in a place that size I just snapped one day and said "**** this, I need a bigger kitchen" and moved to a place 3 times the size. When I moved in to the big place I was like "omg I can breathe." I don't know if i could ever go back to that....

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
God, women really are a black hole when it comes to money.
haha, yeah. And just imagine, I pay the full rent, all utilities, grocery, dining out, wine, and her damn shoes (but I absolutely insist, she can pay off her school bill). And for your place, upgrade the curtains. Would make a big difference.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you didn't have a gf, you'd still have a well-designed place.
now I would. But I've been with her since high school, so many years of influence goes into my idea of design.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. In my mind it is the exact opposite. I guess you don't bring women home, or you date girls young enough that they still expect to see **** thrown around on the floor, makeshift drapes, and a CRT TV when they come back to a guy's place?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
That doesn't make sense. In my mind it is the exact opposite. I guess you don't bring women home, or you date girls young enough that they still expect to see **** thrown around on the floor, makeshift drapes, and a CRT TV when they come back to a guy's place?

They're probably pretty used to it in Manhattan, given the cost of apartments there, but still... Decent drapes and better furniture could go a long way.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Don't you get tired of living in a depressing apartment? Back when I was in a place that size I just snapped one day and said "**** this, I need a bigger kitchen" and moved to a place 3 times the size. When I moved in to the big place I was like "omg I can breathe." I don't know if i could ever go back to that....

The apartment sucks but I don't really care. I travel a lot for work. I am also extremely undiscerning when it comes to living spaces. I enjoy a nice hotel but in general I just need to be comfortable. Luxury is generally wasted on me unless it is in the form of a suit.

Originally Posted by username79

I bring women in their mid twenties home. They don't seem to care. Their apartments generally look similar, although better decorated and neater. Once they are in your house, they aren't going to change their mind about liking you.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
They're probably pretty used to it in Manhattan, given the cost of apartments there, but still... Decent drapes and better furniture could go a long way.

Better furniture - I have a nice bed now. Anything else I refuse to upgrade as I don't plan on staying in Manhattan forever. Also, it would only be to impress other people as I genuinely don't care about nice furniture. Not until I am married with nothing to excite me except material things. Then I will care about furniture a lot more, I expect. I mean that seriously.

Decent drapes are a good call. But the apartment is such a **** hole that maybe I'll wait until I move out this summer before upgrading anything.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promised to post a picture of the "monstrosity" in the bedroom. We ended up changing the curtains, because they looked too thin. We went with a nice gold color and a valance with tassels. She had to have tassels. The nightstands are very cool. Huge in order to match the bed, but they have a secret compartment that fits a .38 and a .45 along with ammo very nicely.
26031_654629580302_39100926_36445475_5153342_n.jpg
Shot of the bathroom. We switched the white mats out for burgundy mats. Pretty simple kitchen. I don't like the appliances, but we're renting. I like the blueish granite. The walk in pantry is a huge plus coming from a place less than half this size.
25125_649527135642_39100926_36303970_6955355_n.jpg
25125_649527115682_39100926_36303968_3464054_n.jpg
Dining area. We plan to hang some treatments tomorrow. Probably white sheers since I have some, and I'm just about burnt out on curtain shopping. Haven't taken pics of the other rooms, but it's a 4bed/3.5 bath town home.
25411_656641368662_39100926_36501925_2426549_n.jpg

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy a nice hotel but in general I just need to be comfortable. Luxury is generally wasted on me unless it is in the form of a suit. I bring women in their mid twenties home. They don't seem to care. Their apartments generally look similar, although better decorated and neater. Once they are in your house, they aren't going to change their mind about liking you.
This actually makes sense but is completely opposite to myself. When I bring someone home I want their breath to be taken away when they walk in the door. Getting them home is half the fun, the other half is seeing just how far I can knock their socks off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads