• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

Vaitek

Reaction score
I ordered a few of the dress shirts (15.5 x 33) online in white and yellow and received them yesterday. For some reason they don't stock the extra slims in the stores by me. Same with the "Milano Slim Fit Plain-Front Non-Iron Advantage Chino" which I have on the way to try out. The shirts are slimmer than their regular slim, which I found to be too baggy in the waist and arms on me. These extra slims fit a lot better on me. I can try and take measurements of these later this week.

a-rock

Reaction score
^ I'd be very interested in those measurements as that's also my size.

ufsteez83

Reaction score
Picked up a few of the ESFs. I'm used to the non-iron. Are you guys ironing after you wash or just dry cleaning. I tried washing and then hanging but the shirt is pretty damn wrinkled.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ufsteez83
Picked up a few of the ESFs. I'm used to the non-iron. Are you guys ironing after you wash or just dry cleaning. I tried washing and then hanging but the shirt is pretty damn wrinkled.

I have a couple of the ESF non-iron shirts and never had a problem with them being excessively wrinkled. After washing, I usually put them in the dryer for just a few minutes and then put them out to dry flat.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I have a couple of the ESF non-iron shirts and never had a problem with them being excessively wrinkled. After washing, I usually put them in the dryer for just a few minutes and then put them out to dry flat.

I didn't even see an option for ESF in the non-iron section or I would have gotten some of them.
frown.gif

The ones I got definitely need to be hit with an iron after washing and hang drying.

billsayers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaitek
I didn't even see an option for ESF in the non-iron section or I would have gotten some of them.
frown.gif

The ones I got definitely need to be hit with an iron after washing and hang drying.

ESF is not and will not be offered in non-iron. Talked to the BB store manager at South Coast Plaza and he said that non-iron treatment makes the fabric more rigid and since the ESF is fairly tight in the torso and arms, adding non-iron treatment will make the shirts too uncomfortable to wear.

I usually take my ESF shirts out of the washer and hang them for about an hour. When they are still damp, I iron them using "sizing" spray to facilitate the ironing process.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You folks are right. My ESF shirts are definitely NOT non-iron. That just shows how often I look at the labels on my clothing! But I wash and dry as I mentioned above and never have an issue.

doug funnie

Reaction score
I'm 5'8 165 lbs with a 42/43 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. Overall a 15/33 slim fit is a very good fit on me. If I'm going to try an extra slim fit shirt I'd like to do it soon with the sale, but neither of my local retailers have the extra slim fit for me to try on.

Is it unlikely that I could find an extra slim fit shirt that fits me? I assume if I were to size up to a 15.5 or a 16 then the chest would still fit pretty tight but the shoulders would be huge.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doug funnie
I'm 5'8 165 lbs with a 42/43 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. Overall a 15/33 slim fit is a very good fit on me. If I'm going to try an extra slim fit shirt I'd like to do it soon with the sale, but neither of my local retailers have the extra slim fit for me to try on.

Is it unlikely that I could find an extra slim fit shirt that fits me? I assume if I were to size up to a 15.5 or a 16 then the chest would still fit pretty tight but the shoulders would be huge.

I'm 5'6, 150 lbs, 15.5" neck, 40" chest, 31" waist and got the 15.5/33 extra slim. They are slim, but there's still room. They aren't skin tight on me. I think you will be fine with a 42" chest.

They should be able to order them for you and have them sent to the store if you want to avoid shipping. You can always return them.

oaw01

Reaction score
I tried the 15/33 - it's still fit like a tent. The chest is fine however the waist is still big. I guess I've to stay with jantzen.

kopah

Reaction score
Has anybody ordered the button-down oxford shirt under the "Sport Shirts" section in size Small? If so, could you please post a neck measurement?

the_state

Reaction score
As soon as the make these w/ collar/sleeve lengths in non-iron, I'm going all out.

Factor Xll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doug funnie
I'm 5'8 165 lbs with a 42/43 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. Overall a 15/33 slim fit is a very good fit on me. If I'm going to try an extra slim fit shirt I'd like to do it soon with the sale, but neither of my local retailers have the extra slim fit for me to try on. Is it unlikely that I could find an extra slim fit shirt that fits me? I assume if I were to size up to a 15.5 or a 16 then the chest would still fit pretty tight but the shoulders would be huge.
I've got the same exact stats as you do, I got 3 of the shirts in today and tried them on. They will fit nice on the shoulders, chest arms. However, the waist is still a little puffy, but still better than most of the OTW shirts out there. I ordered 15.5/32 tho. They rest just pass my wrist. I'll post a pic tomorrow if you are still interested.

dls6128

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kopah
Has anybody ordered the button-down oxford shirt under the "Sport Shirts" section in size Small? If so, could you please post a neck measurement?

I usually wear a 15.5, and a Small fits my neck comfortably.

For what it's worth, I am 6'1 with long arms (I usually take 15-15.5/34) and the small sports shirts are the best-fitting OTR shirt that I've found (37" chest/155 lbs). I'll try to post fit pics at some point. I picked up three and I'm very satisfied with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads