• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
2r73l14.jpg

cigar chukkas

Michael,
I have been an admirer of your collection for some time now. With all due respect, may I ask how many pairs of shell Aldens you have?

Thank you,
Jason

QTime

Reaction score
Hm, let me place a guess before one of the last questions of mankind will be revealed.

Number of styles ever made by Alden multiplied by 5 (black-,#8,-whiskey-,ravello-,cigar-shell)

Guess that could be something about 80?

Simon.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
iznwns.jpg

ravello lwb

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i already own a pair of alden longwing bluchers in cigar on barrie last which is 7d i bought a pair of alden af79 which is on leydon last in size 7.5d did i size wrong? because this seems a lot shorter and tighter or will the tightness go away and stretch some? its still a lot shorter compared to the barrie.

Arizor

Reaction score
The tightness on the Leydon will go away, it is especially tight at the bottom of the tongue when you first wear them.

But don't worry, mine were very tight to begin with, and are within 2 weeks a perfect fit and my favourite Alden boot.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizor
The tightness on the Leydon will go away, it is especially tight at the bottom of the tongue when you first wear them.

But don't worry, mine were very tight to begin with, and are within 2 weeks a perfect fit and my favourite Alden boot.

ok i see that i figured it would i honestly don't remember if my first pair was super tight like that and stretched but how do you explain the barrie one looking longer than the leydon one enough to notice. adam at a-o-c suggested i'd go with 7.5d on leydon if i took a 7d on barrie saying it would come out the same.

just wondering if i should return them before its too late.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iznwns.jpg

ravello lwb

michaelw is this particular shoe with crepe soles? if so could i see more pictures like the bottom and side shot? just wondering because i'm thinking about purchasing the same shoe. but i like the double leather soles on my current ones.

thanks in advance

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crosswound
ok i see that i figured it would i honestly don't remember if my first pair was super tight like that and stretched but how do you explain the barrie one looking longer than the leydon one enough to notice. adam at a-o-c suggested i'd go with 7.5d on leydon if i took a 7d on barrie saying it would come out the same.

just wondering if i should return them before its too late.

Sizing up half a size from your Barrie size is the way to go in general. Since each foot and fit preference is different you may have to adjust accordingly.

It will stretch but cordovan doesn't stretch as much as calf. If its uncomfortably too tight then it might not stretch enough for you. I forgot who said it but someone posted that the fit should feel right from the moment you try it on. If it doesn't, you will end up with regret down the road. I found that out the hard way.
blush.gif

ravello lwb

michaelw... just stop!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure my first pair was tight width wise overall but stretched to a good fit its the length i was worried about. anyhow i shipped it out for return to adam at alden hope all goes well with it. its too bad because i was really looking forward to them.

arrow

Reaction score
Thx for your awesome pics Michaelw...

I just bought 2 boots (cigar and ravello) and your worn pics gives me
something to look forward to as they age over time.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crosswound
michaelw is this particular shoe with crepe soles? if so could i see more pictures like the bottom and side shot? just wondering because i'm thinking about purchasing the same shoe. but i like the double leather soles on my current ones.

thanks in advance

this shoe has the crepe sole. i would highly recommend to purchase the ravello lwb with the double leather soles.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
Thx for your awesome pics Michaelw...

I just bought 2 boots (cigar and ravello) and your worn pics gives me
something to look forward to as they age over time.

did you buy the cigar chukkas and the ravello wingtip?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2r73l14.jpg
cigar chukkas

are these on barrie last? They look unusually elongated,almost makes me want to get a pair of chukkas in cigar.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
are these on barrie last? They look unusually elongated,almost makes me want to get a pair of chukkas in cigar.

I was thinking the same thing. I also wondered if they are a fairly small size, like an 8 or something, because the dimensions look great, nice and tidy. Whereas I owned the cigar chukkas for a year and a half in 9.5 before I sold them because they looked like gorgeous clown shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads