• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts...

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grey SL's arrived this week. Couldn't wait to wear them this week so I brought them to be hemmed right away. Picked them up at the tailor this morning.

The length is fine but they pressed my jeans when they were done. When they pressed them the heat from the steam press must have burned the leather tag. Its not burned off the jeans, but it is discolored.

At first I was pissed but now I'm chalking it up to "**** happens"

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
My grey SL's arrived this week. Couldn't wait to wear them this week so I brought them to be hemmed right away. Picked them up at the tailor this morning.

The length is fine but they pressed my jeans when they were done. When they pressed them the heat from the steam press must have burned the leather tag. Its not burned off the jeans, but it is discolored.

At first I was pissed but now I'm chalking it up to "**** happens"

Good God, why would they even do such a thing? Ironing jeans? My tailor cut the selvage seams on my 2010 KMW's when he slimmed down the leg (told him not to), plus made them slimmer than I requested. The cut selvage is ok to me now, since they would've been screwed up after taking them from a 9.5 to a 8" hem but still, he likes to do things his way. I don't think he realizes some of my jeans cost more than the low end suits he sells.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the tailors around here arent used to handling selvage/raw denim

so i had to make a list of things not to do w/ my jeans before i handed them over

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my tailor is a cocky, seventy something Italian guy who does his own thing no matter what though. He does quality work, but his attitude and mild language barrier are pissing me off. On the other hand, the other guy I use listens and does what I ask and is cheaper, but his work is marginal at best.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fooled around a bit with sz 29 indigo ST's today. Some random impressions.

The measurements on the SE site are extremely accurate. If you have worn a pair of SL's, you can imagine the fit of the ST's very easily. The thigh is the same at the top, but the knee comes in a bit which makes for a significantly slimmer fit. It's kinda wild how changing the knee by 1" makes such a difference.

I find the fit is unique and really pretty solid. I got the ST's because of the 7.0 hem and with the hope that the top block would fit me like the SL's do. For whatever reason, I find 3sixteen has a good top block for me. I cuff my SL's religiously and wanted something I can stack.

The indigo ST's I have today from the current run are a bit softer than the indigo SL's I have from the previous run. The denim itself feels the same. Maybe they currently use a bit less starch or maybe the ST's use a bit less.

Either way, I think this is a good thing. In my experience, over starched, very slim denim is a pain to wear. Stacks look strange. If worn tight, the fly often flares as it resists natural stretching.

I have a tendency to wear belts a lot, but I am not going to wear a belt with these. Gonna let them sag as low as they want. Going for a Dior-esque fit.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the vertical falling fading on 3Sixteen denim and the colors they offer, (especially the black coated) but damn I hate their fits. I guess I've become way too picky, but I need a fit in between the STs and the SLs.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a fit in between the STs and the SLs = apc new standard.

i fit perfect in NS, curious to try the 3sixteen ST black coated but it seems too skinny. hope they make one in SL.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
I love the vertical falling fading on 3Sixteen denim and the colors they offer, (especially the black coated) but damn I hate their fits. I guess I've become way too picky, but I need a fit in between the STs and the SLs.

I hear you. I have some nervousness about my ST purchase. It really is very, very slim. The near 7" knee makes it a wildly slimmer cut than a simple 7.0" hem SL (I got my SL's in a 28, so the hem is already 7.5").

In hindsight, I could have maybe gone TTS and always worn a belt, but that sorta defeats the goal of going for the 7.0 hem. If 3sixteen ever makes a new cut with an 8" knee and 7" hem, I will treat myself to a re-buy.

They are, however, not as ridiculously slim on me as they are the Self Edge model. My current hypothesis is that he is wearing 28 ST's with zero sag. As the waist rises, the knee rises higher on the leg, creating a tighter fit.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, they are growing on me. A little worried they might knee bag to hell, but the cut is very youthful and summery so nobody would care. It is strange to have struggled and fumed vs N&F WG's for so long and then bite the bullet on a new pair of 7" hems and have them just FIT.

obnavox3

Reaction score
I noticed the gray slim tapered jeans on Revolve are $30 cheaper than the black or indigo ones. Are they still selvedge?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obnavox3
I noticed the gray slim tapered jeans on Revolve are $30 cheaper than the black or indigo ones. Are they still selvedge?

Grey denim isn't selvage. The 3sixteen site is pretty explicit about this. The price differential holds on 3sixteen's own online store as well.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Grey denim isn't selvage. The 3sixteen site is pretty explicit about this. The price differential holds on 3sixteen's own online store as well.

Yeah i noticed that they werent when ordering them... but if they aren't selvage, then why do they still cost so much? Brand name? Not that i'm really complaining... i purchased a pair. Just curious.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Yeah i noticed that they werent when ordering them... but if they aren't selvage, then why do they still cost so much? Brand name? Not that i'm really complaining... i purchased a pair. Just curious.

There's a lot of nice, expensive non-selvage denim out there. You're still getting the cut, construction and detailing that makes 3sixteen (to me) attractive.

dls6128

Reaction score
Is the model number of the 3sixteens visible anywhere on the jeans? I was shipped a pair that are tagged as a ST 30, but the measurements are off; the knee is around 7.9 inches and the hem is 7.75"; I'm wondering if they maybe shipped me a SL instead. I ordered from Revolve FWIW.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
Is the model number of the 3sixteens visible anywhere on the jeans? I was shipped a pair that are tagged as a ST 30, but the measurements are off; the knee is around 7.9 inches and the hem is 7.75"; I'm wondering if they maybe shipped me a SL instead. I ordered from Revolve FWIW.

I believe the front pocket has it too, where the size is marked. Sounds like you got the SL, as those measurements seem to match my SLs also in a 30. I'd contact Revolve, I'm sure they'll exchange for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads