• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naturally Baked

Reaction score
My Civic

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I always like to point out the T1, T2 and T3 SCCA races. They have to use stock brakes. If these professional drivers can make stock brakes last an entire race then surely on a street car the stock brakes should be more then adequate.

Same thing with BMW club racing. Most people who put on big brakes don't need them.

--Andre

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Maybe people just like bbks? Not sure why this discussion always garners such hate.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Same thing with BMW club racing. Most people who put on big brakes don't need them.

--Andre

It is a popular mod in the MBZ world as well. It's amazing how many people I know who have purchased AMG brake kits for their MB's. It's one of the first things to go on an AMG partout. The second probably being the exhaust system and then maybe pulleys and intercoolers. Lots of people though buy in to the 'look' of a BBK rather than the practicality of it.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Maybe people just like bbks? Not sure why this discussion always garners such hate.

I have no problem with this. I love how BBKs look. However, It's the statements about how they will improve even a daily driver and the people who say, for example, that an E46 M3 has inadequate brakes for their daily commute to the office (because it has a cheap single piston caliper and everybody knows that a [insert latest # in fashion] piston caliper with the same effective surface area is so much better!!) that drive me crazy.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

I only hate when people make up bogus technical reasons for installing BBKs. Earlier, drinkwater said he liked the look of a BBK on his Mini, and no one gave him grief for it.

--Andre

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBKs are great if you're doing laps around Virginia International Raceway for like an hour. My only suggestion is that, if you're getting them for looks, get a good set (from Brembo or AP Racing) since you usually get what you pay for.

I used to hate Civics but these days I really feel like searching for an unmolested CRX to hoon around in.

There's a nice VW Golf GDI here in my apartment parking lot. A pretty lady drives it. I should take pictures. (Of the car.)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't have a car but when I go out, I want to go out in this thing:
capt.e1864b521fc2484880b912c66b448b52-4dea931448874c5bb75b61881f61c6d1-0.jpg

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle.

Did I miss anything?

L
O
L

laugh.gif

brandon1987

Reaction score
Here's my car, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 (Please excuse how dirty it is, I need to wash it):
100_1310.jpg
100_1309.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808

I always like to point out the T1, T2 and T3 SCCA races. They have to use stock brakes. If these professional drivers can make stock brakes last an entire race then surely on a street car the stock brakes should be more then adequate.

How much lighter are they? Just saying, not that I disagree with you in anyway, not familiar with SCCA rules.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Im thinking switching to a Lincon Town car or other full size American Luxury car.... Why?

Dunno, I heard its like driving a couch on a highway, and you can fit 6 people and all their luggage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads