• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
This is what I do.
If you are going to cook them in water first, you might as well just drop them in something that is like 170 deg and leave them there for awhile, then take them out and brown them. When you have meat in boiling water, it never ends up giving the kind of texture it ought to. It is just too hot, and it dries the meat out.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I do.

Why is there such a aversion to the skin bursting. Never bothered me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Why is there such a aversion to the skin bursting. Never bothered me.

1)It looks ******
but much more importantly
2) sausage is a carefully planned out ratio of fat to meat, and a very carefully produced distribution of the two. Breaking the casing releases all the fat and juice, basically drying the meat out and giving it a bad texture and ruining all the hard work the sausage maker did.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That must be why Kosher sausage doesn't taste as good... it's circumsized
rimshot.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every response in this thread regarding sausage besides iammatt's is silly. Sausage won't 'dry out' if the casing is broken (that's a matter of temperature and cooking time). Broken casing doesn't matter (a lot of makers don't even make convenient links and usually just fill a whole intensinal casing/pork skin/whatever at a time), and aside from sausage sandwiches a lot of usages for sausage involve breaking the casing to purposely release the extra fat content.

Scraps from butchering are usually fat, so the fat is added for sausages. Only in the US (land of $17.99/lb head cheese) do people purposely buy fat to add to sausage.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... I wonder if people realize that more often than not, sausage is actually removed from the casing for use in a dish....

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
If you are going to cook them in water first, you might as well just drop them in something that is like 170 deg and leave them there for awhile, then take them out and brown them. When you have meat in boiling water, it never ends up giving the kind of texture it ought to. It is just too hot, and it dries the meat out.

I'm hesitant to warm up ground meat so slowly. Also, the sausages are more steamed than boiled in the technique I use - the amount of water is maybe a 1/4 cup for a 10-12 pan. After steaming them (I turn the sausages a few times as well) I then let the water boil off and brown.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to warm up ground meat so slowly. Also, the sausages are more steamed than boiled in the technique I use - the amount of water is maybe a 1/4 cup for a 10-12 pan. After steaming them (I turn the sausages a few times as well) I then let the water boil off and brown.
I'm new to the game, but I actually prefer cooking them at a slower temperature for a longer duration. I've found that I can get a more even browning, keep the meat juicier, and achieve the desired internal temperature with less heat. Edit: No water.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can somebody give me the scoop on imported (from Greece) farmed Branzino which is showing up a bit at local fish markets?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Can somebody give me the scoop on imported (from Greece) farmed Branzino which is showing up a bit at local fish markets?

+1. It's all over NYC now, too. $5/lb in chinatown or $10 at Whole Foods. WF apparently "finally found a sustainable source for this delicious fish". I do love Bronzino, but there has been a Bronzino conflagration at the markets as of late, and I'm not quite sure why.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Pretty much every response in this thread regarding sausage besides iammatt's is silly. Sausage won't 'dry out' if the casing is broken (that's a matter of temperature and cooking time).

true dat. here's a question: when you poach a sausage, do you ever see fat in the water? uh, yeah. the skin is permeable. i poke holes in the sausage to keep it from bursting (because, as kwilk said, it's ugly), then poach gently until just about cooked through. if cooking in the same pan, the water should be just about gone and i'll brown it in its own fat. if not, i'll take it to the grill and finish it with a sear.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty much what you said. that and Tai snapper are about the only whole ocean fish you can reliably find at most non-asian markets in SoCal. It's a perfectly nice fish, but i've never had one that rocked me.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Anyone see the creminelli meat sale on gilt? I have some gilt credits and was wondering if it was worth me getting? I have access to probably better stuff at formaggio kitchen here in cambridge but can never bring myself to buy it. Easier to do with gilt credit http://www.giltman.com/s/creminellimeatman If it is worth it (6week shelf life it says but i wonder if that's from the sale now or from the date of receiving 4/20-4/25) considering the dates which selection should i get?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would a bread recipe require dry milk? I'm not using a bread machine or anything.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Anyone see the creminelli meat sale on gilt? I have some gilt credits and was wondering if it was worth me getting?

looks nice, but in general all cured meats look tasty to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads