• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the poly bushings. They'll die faster, you'll mess up your suspension tuning, and it will ride worse.

--Andre

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good choice with sticking with the big brake kit, they are definitely a good thing to have; it helps any car even the daily driver.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Good choice with sticking with the big brake kit, they are definitely a good thing to have; it helps any car even the daily driver.

What?

--Andre

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big brakes look cool and are wonderful for long track days but their pads cost $$$ compared to your standard brake pads. But they will look nice behind those wheels.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As you know, I'm all about looking good and helping others do the same.
It kind of sucks that these brakes are so expensive but with anything that is in fashion, so goes the budget.
I've been looking at of course, Brembo, Wilwood and Stoptech. They seem to be the leaders and so command the price. Is there a company out there that is making as good a brake system but is not as expensive? Thanks for the assist with my mid life obsession.

Originally Posted by Alias
Big brakes look cool and are wonderful for long track days but their pads cost $$$ compared to your standard brake pads. But they will look nice behind those wheels.

6foot5

Reaction score
2004 Chrysler 300m Special :-]

New here evidently. I'm 19 and 6'5'' Been browsing for new style ideas as I'm sooo tired of wearing jeans and polos that hang like tents off me. Nice to be here. Here's my baby:

25743132345465948516244.jpg

25743132345473948716244.jpg

25743132398843282916244.jpg

25743132345481948916244.jpg

Cheers.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Chrysler. Enjoy your time here on the forums!

Picked up some Koni Sports for the Mustang. Apparently Koni Holland and Koni NA were in fisticuffs over the damper design and couldn't get any over to the states, but now they've finally shipped. Koni also makes the STR.T dampers which are like sports turned full-soft and are non-adjustable, but I waited for the Sports since I'll be tooling around on the track. Also the Sports apparently ride a lot better on the street than the dampers the car came with, and better control the huge unsprung weight of the log axle. And they were on sale!

Speaking of track stuff: Next up will be my own helmet (had to borrow one), brake stuff (need to replace pads, might as well put lines and better fluid in) and tires (all-seasons suck.) And more seat time!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle. Did I miss anything?

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle.

Did I miss anything?

9/10 times I completely agree with you
fight[1].gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
nevermind

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle. Did I miss anything?
That was pretty funny. I had a turbo civic track car years ago and it did outgrow it's brakes. Didn't need to spend 5 grand. Just got calipers off an accord(same as on the NSX) for about $400 and problem solved. I always like to point out the T1, T2 and T3 SCCA races. They have to use stock brakes. If these professional drivers can make stock brakes last an entire race then surely on a street car the stock brakes should be more then adequate. Now I do have 930 turbo brakes on my porsche. Much more brake then the car ever needs. The previous owner put them on the car. 10 grand in wheel bling. I'll leave em though since it does add to the value of the car saying you got 930 turbo brakes. Plus they are one hell of a braking system even 30 year on. Came right off the famed 917 race car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads