• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off-white Linen Suit with Black Shoes?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice suit - I like the 1B & slim fit.

nk416

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Nice suit - I like the 1B & slim fit.

Thanks - suit and shirt are Armani. Shoes are Prada. Tie and belt are Boss. If someone can name the watch I am wearing ... 10 points
smile.gif

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sea Dweller?

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Only if you're Ben Matlock!

Personally, I don't like black shoes with such a light colour suit. The shoes should be tan, brown, or white.

I was thinking something more "classic" than Ben Matlock
smile.gif

More like Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch
atticus.jpg

OMQI000Z.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought he wore a seersucker suit in the book, never saw the movie.

Looks like off-white linen, but how would you know if it was off-white, cream or tan, and for that matter those shoes could be dark brown.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nk416
Whoa! Hit it first try! ... It is a DeepSea. Nice catch!
fistbump.gif
EDIT: Your name in the first post should have alerted me – attention to detail is often sadly lacking with me...

creativefish

Reaction score
whatever it is, he looks put together very well that is seldom seen these days. perhaps the op could take note about the style and focus less on dressing head to toe in fashion brands...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think black shoes can work with an off-white suit. I've tried doing this once myself, to experiment, but didn't manage to achieve the effect I wanted. 99.99% of the time it just looks wrong (as it does in the OP's photos, esp. with that tie which really doesn't work at all, and to some extent, with that shirt) but it is possible I think. I don't think Gregory Peck manages to work it either in the Atticus Finch photos. A slubby, openly-woven off-white linen, fitted fairly loosely, with some moderately gunboat-ish black shoes... maybe, just maybe... or a slim fitting neater, tighter-woven linen with black loafers... possibly. If you have massive amounts of natural charisma. Most of the time, it won't work.

nk416

Reaction score
Originally Posted by creativefish
whatever it is, he looks put together very well that is seldom seen these days. perhaps the op could take note about the style and focus less on dressing head to toe in fashion brands...

My apologies - I didn't realize I offended you. I thought this was a fashion forum. Someone liked the style of the suit, I thought it only made sense to post what it was in case that same person was looking to make a similar purchase.

Again, sorry if I offended you somehow.

That being said - thanks to everyone for their opinions.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the black shoes with it, I think you just have to make it more monochrome for it to work. Opt for a grey shirt, black tie, or a white shirt, black tie. Slim down the ties too if you're going for the white suit, black shoes/ belt thing. I think the pants are slightly long though.

nk416

Reaction score
How about grey(ish) shoes with a light pastel grey shirt, would that work?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hmm, "grey-ish" shoes makes me wary. I am guessing they are like fashion forward, like John Varvatos or something right? I would say a grey shirt with black oxfords would be just fine.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

no

think about another tie... maybe, i'm fine with your choice.

i don't get the comments about the shirt, nvm

what's the occassion you'll wear it? a wedding?

so brown is out of place, despite you are a farmer, huh huh

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads