• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It's kind of like... 6 games into the season. Although it is different here for Angel fans, people already screaming that Brandon Wood is a bust...

Angels fans have been hearing Brandon Wood this and Brandon Wood that for years now.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
A symbol of how nice you guys are is that your opening day concert is Death Cab for Cutie.

We are trying to balance that out by having Randy Johnson throw out the first pitch. I think we secretly hope he decimates another ill fated bird mid-flight.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Thought it was nuts that after Sunday's win, Roy Halladay has 150 wins and 50 complete games. In this era it seems ridiculous to have that large a proportion of wins be CGs. But it turns out that Randy Johnson has 303 wins and 100 CGs, and Livan Hernandez has 154 wins and 54 CGs.

Of course, wins are a worthless stat. billjames'd

wins are useless but sure do put a sweet spit shine on the resume come CY young/HOF voting time.

Remember when Pedro lost to Zito for a cy young... that **** probably wouldn't happen today, but still if halladay hits something like 24+ wins we'll know that he totally deserved the majority of them.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plain.gif

I don't want to hear any of this garbage about wins being an overrated stat. When evaluating the HOF creditials of a candidate the first 2 things you look at are wins and how many 20 win seasons they had.

That is all.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
plain.gif

I don't want to hear any of this garbage about wins being an overrated stat. When evaluating the HOF creditials of a candidate the first 2 things you look at are wins and how many 20 win seasons they had.

That is all.

That's because baseball people have traditionally been marsupialed. If you were a GM, would you pick players based on wins, or based on stats like WHIP and ERA+?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
That's because baseball people have traditionally been marsupialed. If you were a GM, would you pick players based on wins, or based on stats like WHIP and ERA+?

Probably wins. ERA and WHIP can be just as deceiving.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

trust me wins are overrated and not as deceiving as ERA and WHIP... just take Dice K's 18win season... he rode the back of a great offense with numerous barely over 5inn, tons of walks, 100+ pitch games.

wins still are very nice though. its a prestige stat. like hitting over 300 will always be.

my favorite stat to hate is errors. its like being called for charging/blocking foul in the NBA. sometimes a outfielder takes and atrocious line to a flyball and has to dive and barely misses a catch... its looked at as a great effort no error... but and infielder bobbles a bad hop and its still all his fault and he's charged with an error.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
trust me wins are overrated and not as deceiving as ERA and WHIP... just take Dice K's 18win season... he rode the back of a great offense with numerous barely over 5inn, tons of walks, 100+ pitch games.

wins still are very nice though. its a prestige stat. like hitting over 300 will always be.

my favorite stat to hate is errors. its like being called for charging/blocking foul in the NBA. sometimes a outfielder takes and atrocious line to a flyball and has to dive and barely misses a catch... its looked at as a great effort no error... but and infielder bobbles a bad hop and its still all his fault and he's charged with an error.

FWIW if you take the top 10 in either category 8 will probably be in the other. I just feel that wins tell more about a pitcher than his ERA. You mentioned errors above, which can create unearned runs that don't count against a pitchers ERA.

brimley

Reaction score
FWIW if you take the top 10 in either category 8 will probably be in the other. I just feel that wins tell more about a pitcher than his ERA. You mentioned errors above, which can create unearned runs that don't count against a pitchers ERA.

Pitchers w/ top 10 ERA who also had top 10 or 11 (ties) wins:

2009: only 4 of top 11 NL, 7 of top 11 AL
2008: 7/11 NL, 6/10 AL
2007: 6/11 NL, 5/10 AL

That's just barely half (.55)

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wrong answer... Wins just mean that a pitch got some run support, ERA and WHIP tell you how he performs.

New Twins stadium opened today. Finally, outdoor baseball is back!
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just say this and I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I'd rather have the top 5 guys in wins than the top 5 guys in ERA....except for Timmy L. in the NL----
ffffuuuu.gif

Also, its only a week into the season and Milton Bradley already feels pressure?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5079777

Oh yes, the season is over M's fans.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Angels fans have been hearing Brandon Wood this and Brandon Wood that for years now.

Lets hear it some more, hes batting like .080 and K's every two at bats.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Milton Bradley 3 run jack.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll just say this and I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I'd rather have the top 5 guys in wins than the top 5 guys in ERA....except for Timmy L. in the NL----
ffffuuuu.gif

There is really no way to defend your statement using any kind of thought-out logic. Though Jerry Manual and Omar Minaya would agree with you. Unfortunately.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Milton Bradley 3 run jack.

He's batting over .100 now. Division wrapped up.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
There is really no way to defend your statement using any kind of thought-out logic. Though Jerry Manual and Omar Minaya would agree with you. Unfortunately.

What?? I would defend it but many times I just too lazy to get into some long drawn out arguement. Win by actions not by arguement.

The 48 laws.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads