• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jason.wu.05.09
My old wallet's been with me for about five (maybe six?) years, but it's starting to fray a bit around the edges. Anyone have recommendations on leather goods makers? I'd like to get something that will last a long time, but will be a fairly slim wallet, i.e. bi-fold.

On Brooks Brothers website they have some beautiful slim wallets, including shell cordovan wallets. Check them out.

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to wear button down collar shirts (such as from BB) with a suit and a tie? I have seen it done with sports coats, but it doesn't "feel" right with a navy/black/olive/etc suit...

Thanks!

JD

slice it

Reaction score
Can you guys suggest something nice to wear to a prom that will look really sharp, but not ness. the generic tux. Any other questions/ comments on prom attire wold be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

click here

Reaction score
Is a shoulder measurement for a size 38 jacket 17 inch across unusual? Is it a bit small for a usual size 38?

Mr. Goodkat

Reaction score
hey all this is my first post!

just wondering; whats the general consensus on doc martens?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GnllyClueless_1
Is it appropriate to wear button down collar shirts (such as from BB) with a suit and a tie? I have seen it done with sports coats, but it doesn't "feel" right with a navy/black/olive/etc suit...

Thanks!

JD

It's not an uncommon thing to do, especially if one aspires to the Ivy or "Trad" aesthetic. Personally, I am not a fan.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slice it
Can you guys suggest something nice to wear to a prom that will look really sharp, but not ness. the generic tux. Any other questions/ comments on prom attire wold be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

There's are tons of threads here on prom attire. The general consensus here is that a properly-fitted tuxedo is the sharpest thing you could wear. It seems the general feeling among those of prom age is that one has to wear something other than the traditional tuxedo to look sharp. You will have to decide if you aspire to the former or the latter.

This?
jamesbond-vi.jpg

Or this?

tuxedo-frilly-shirt-italian-70s-style-collage.jpg

jason.wu.05.09

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
Is a shoulder measurement for a size 38 jacket 17 inch across unusual? Is it a bit small for a usual size 38?

That's a bit small. A 38 should be 17.5" minimum, and maybe 18" - 18.25" max, though some 38's run to 18.5".

17" shoulders are getting you into 36 territory.

awuwish

Reaction score
What is a good website(s) for finding clothes as seen in movies. Specifically, I really liked JGL's wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer, but can't seem to find anywhere that has movie-related wardrobes specific to a particular movie.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GnllyClueless_1

Thanks!

JD

By American rules yes, by British rules no. This forum tends to lean towards the british, but really it comes down to a personal call. The rules are really just advice about what tends to look good. If you like the look, go for it. If you don't like the look, don't bother.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat
hey all this is my first post!

just wondering; whats the general consensus on doc martens?

Welcome.

Try asking this in the "Streetwear and Denim" section. This part of the forum is generally about dressier clothes.

EZ

D Yizz

Reaction score
what is the best way to remove old layers of shoe polish?

Mr. Goodkat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Welcome. Try asking this in the "Streetwear and Denim" section. This part of the forum is generally about dressier clothes. EZ
will do. and please excuse faux pas, i'm a total rookie when it comes to forums -goodkat

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody know where to get really stiff interfacing for like shirt collars and cuffs in nyc? Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awuwish
What is a good website(s) for finding clothes as seen in movies. Specifically, I really liked JGL's wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer, but can't seem to find anywhere that has movie-related wardrobes specific to a particular movie.

My friend recognized one of his ties as being from Thom Browne. The suits he wears are just slim modern suits. Check Black Fleece and Thom Browne.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads